What do you think about this build?

midwesthunter

Model 700 action 30" stainless McGowen Precision barrel chambered in 7mm STW fitted in a BC varmit vertical grip stock. Goint to have action and barrel black teflon coated. Not sure what scope yet. Need something good for 800 yard maybe 1000. I have a budget of 500 for score base and rings. Should *** will be used for hunting and paper punchin

Last edited:
You could get a EGW 20 MOA base and a set of Burris XTRs for $100 total. Vortex has a Crossfire series that is very affordable. They offer an 8-32x50 for $229 out the door. I have this setup.

Sounds bad *** to me . i have a 7stw in a sendero and have been thinking about getting that same stock a try.I have a Leupold 6.5X20x50 with mill dots to 1000 by premier reticle,on mine. Man does that cartridge smack the hell out of the critters along ways out there.

Could go with the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 w/ target dot, EGW base, and Burris XTR or Signature Z rings for well under $500. Though I am becoming a Vortex fan. They are some nice scopes for the money.

Tank

EGW rail, burris XTR rings and Vortex scope. The viper line is great with the V-plex wide reticle (thin enough for LR work) but may put you over the price ya wanna spend. The crossfire mentioned above would be a good scope from Vortex and keep your price point. I prefer the Viper line though.

EGW rail, burris XTR rings and Vortex scope. The viper line is great with the V-plex wide reticle (thin enough for LR work) but may put you over the price ya wanna spend. The crossfire mentioned above would be a good scope from Vortex and keep your price point. I prefer the Viper line though.

I agree, the Viper line would be what to get if you can afford it. The Crossfire wouldn't be a bad compromise. A lot of the guys on the Savage forum like them, and mine is fine so far (10 shots) :D

you'll love the mcgowen. i've got one it seems to eat anything i put in it. my best groups were one hole at 100 yrds (300wm 180 hornady sst @3150) my biggest groups were with remington premier 190 ptd sp bt at 3/8 moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.