What do you think? 270 WSM and 169.5 Wildcats

bigngreen

I was wondering what barrel twist and length would make the 270 WSM and the 169.5 Wildcats play nice. Would it even be a viable combo, and what do you think it would do?
I currently am pushing a 140 AB @ 3341 fps with 71gr Rutumbo in a 26in barrel.

I've been running number on the JBM calculator and if I can keep the velocity in the 3000fps range it would raise my energy by 50% at 1000yds without much trajectory loss.
I am going to burn my factory barrel up faster than I had planned due to how fun it is to shoot. I'm thinking that if I could get the 169.5's to work it would really boost the LR hunting potential of my 270 WSM when I rebarrel.

What twist rate is being used in the 270AM with the 169.5 Wildcats?

Thanks for the replies!

All of the 270 AMs I have built use a 1-8 twist. This is slightly more then needed. I believe a 1-9 would also work just fine but Lilja did not offer a 1-9. I have used some Rock barrels in 1-8.7 twist that worked very well.

For the 270 WSM, I would likely stick with a 1-8 twist. Again, probably a bit more then needed but fully adiquate is much better then marginal.

I designed a round based on the 270 WSM simply for a 1000 yard BR class chambering using this exact bullet. With a 2900-3000 fps velocity in a 26-27" length barrel, it would be extremely impressive and would have outperformed the 7mm WSM loaded with the 180 gr Berger even if that round got 3000 fps.

In the end, I figured a properly built 270 WSM was so close that it was not worth the investment to move the project past that point.

Simply put, I think it would perform great.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.