What do you look for in an AR-15 ?

jmason

I'm pondering picking up an AR-15. A 223 chambering is fine with me. I don't know scratch about em. I'd like to have the ability to switch uppers to what ever will fit on an AR-15 lower. This gun will be paper and milk jug type fun only as I can't hunt with it in PA. Other than that what would you have me look for?

Ha glad I got to this one first. 5.56 chamber is better than 223 it allows you to shoot mil surpus ammo with out any danger. If you have a 223 shooting 5.56 can be dangerous.

Here is my back ground before you take my advice. I have 9 years in the US military. I have personal owned 4 diffrent AR based rifles before I settled on the one I have now. I have depolyed to south america, afghanistan and iraq carried the M4 carbine, M16A2 and the M14.

Spend your money wise and build what you want! Living in a ban free state makes things easy and cheep.

YOU WANT MPI parts (magnatic partical inspected) its a must for a serious gun. if you buy from Colt,LMT,Danial Defence, LWRC,S&W,Noveski you should be ok there are ALOT more but that it the short list of the top manufactures.

Rounds that will fit on the standard AR reciver are 5.56 nato,223,6.8 spc,6,5 grendle, 30AR, just to name a few you can get others but ammo will cost you with most of these.

So I would be ok shooting the .223 out of the 5.56? Colt and S&W are on list of MFGs available to me. There are others too but I noticed they weren't mentioned. I trust your advise, but also note I won't put mine through the rigours you've put them through. BTW thank you for serving!:)

For a range toy, you don't need all those things. A simple Bushmaster or Rock River or CMMG will do just fine for you. Free-float handguards are nice for a precision rig, but unnecessary for a CQB carbine. Flattop upper is important if you want to run optics. Like any rifle, an aftermarket trigger is a bonus, but you can get even the basic mil-spec trigger worked to be nice.

Here's a post that I think is worth the read - basically an AR-15 buyer's guide. It's from a LEO point of view.
So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

Yes, you can shoot 223 out of a 5.56 chamber. There's also .223 Wylde which can handle 223 or 5.56.

I got a Rock River Varmint model as my first AR and it is awesome.
It is very well put together and very accurate.
I can highly recommend it!

jmason

Bottom line lots of guys have lots of stuff that works for them. Here is alot of information I am going to provide you with. You might not understand it all but thats ok.

I personal recomend LMT rifles as that is what I am running. I have the MRP system it has quick change barrels. I can go from a 10" to 24" barrel in 5.56 in about 2 min time. I can also switch to 6.8 special buy swaping barrels and bolts.

Jon

M4 CHART

I have built on Stag, Rock River, DPMS and Armalite. Honestly, you can't tell the difference and chances are most uppers and lowers a made by the same company and get stamped with whatever company name that is ordering them. Milspec is milspec. the only difference I have seen in a reciever is the ones that are machined from a billet. Although bushmaster is a good rifle, I feel they want too much for them. Stag has decent prices on a quality rifle. Smith and wesson M&P is good as is Colt and LMP but there again the price on these are usually highand you really aren't getting anymore then you would with a less expensive but popular brand. rguns.net has a good selection of rifles and the prices aren't too bad. Just look around on the net, go to ar15.com and read and ask questions.

this seems to be a thing I see alot with some people saying that the colt is the only way to go, and then so on and so fourth.

I just happen to have a friend who owns 4 colts, 1 kit rifle and 1 dpms and from what he claims the dpms is the best shooter of them all, and it can be picked up locally for about $800.

jmason

Bottom line lots of guys have lots of stuff that works for them. Here is alot of information I am going to provide you with. You might not understand it all but thats ok.

I personal recomend LMT rifles as that is what I am running. I have the MRP system it has quick change barrels. I can go from a 10" to 24" barrel in 5.56 in about 2 min time. I can also switch to 6.8 special buy swaping barrels and bolts.

Jon

M4 CHART

Thanks guys! Jon, That's a lot to digest but I appreciate it and will read it all.

For out of the box accuracy I would go with RockRiver Arms A4 varmint in your choice of barrel length. I went with an 18" ,it's very accurate . The wylde chamber enables you to shoot either 5.56 or .223. The barrels are lapped prior to leaving the factory and the two stage match trigger is really nice.

Mike

I have a bushmaster varmint with the 24" stainless bull barrel. Its one hell of a shooter. I mounted a 6x18x40 vxII on it and its an awesome rat gun. The first time I took it out and sighted it in. It put three rounds in the same hole at 100 with the hornady 55 vmax factory loads. I havent tried anything else since. I dont really think you can go wrong with any of the brands listed for what you want to do. Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.