What do you know? Ruger SR-556

bryceh12321

I found one of these at Cabelas for 1699$, and then a used one at a local shop for $950, mint condition (or so it seems). It almost sounded too good to be true. Has anyone had any experience with these? They were just released this year I believe, and for all i know they could be a fluke by Ruger to make it into the AR line

I purchased one of these about 4 months ago. It actually shoots really well. I get 1-1.25 inch 5 shot groups at 100yrds with good 55gr ammo. I topped it with the Leupold ar-15 scope that is calibrated for 55 gr bullets and it works great. Just zero the scope at 100yrds and your ready. My range only allows a max 300yrd shot and i can hit the 6 inch steels with every shot at that range. gun)

I haven't noticed any problems with it yet. It's actually my first AR rifle and i'm definetly not an expert on them. I've only run about 60 rounds thru it so far and its fine so far. I considered a bushmaster myself before buying the ruger. The only reason I went with the ruger was because it's a name i'm familiar with. I've heard really good things about the bushmasters from the guys at my local range.

They are an excellent AR. They are Two piston driven operated , which makes them more reliable that an ordinary AR. And you can go much longer without cleaning them. They vent their gases away from the bolt carrier which pretty much helps them run cleaner and cooler. Great buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.