what do you guys think

If not a hand loader, then 300 win mag. I have recommended this cartridge to guys who literally wanted one rifle and aren't in to tinkering. There are more factory rifle choices in 300 win, but the 300 wsm is a great cartridge . Do a search for Broz, he is hands down the expert on the 300 win mag for hunting and ballistics with real ranch data to back up his conclusions

I have tried a 300 WSM and a 7 WSM. Did not like either one. Now to be fair, one was a Winchester, the other a Browning. These were both light guns and had a lot of recoil. Shooting off the bench was crazy as they wanted to jump off the rest and out of your hands. I now have a custom 300 Win Mag and I love it. Not a fair comparison to the Winchester or Browning. Neither of my WSM's shot very good. The 300 was about 1 MOA. The 7 WSM 1.25-1.5 MOA. tried every powder and bullet combo I could think of. There are lots of guys who really like the WSM, maybe they will chime in. For me I would go 300 Win MAg.

I have a browning A-bolt in a wsm and it bug holes, but I did have to put a mini mag brake on it because it killed at one end and crippled at the other lol but with the brake it is a pussycat, I have to agree here tho that if you are not going to be handloading the Win Mag is tried and true many times over

If you do your comparison without considering action length and load length then it is pretty much a tie. A Defiance medium for the WSM and a long action that could take more than the 3.34 of the WM. Equal.

I have a 300 WSM and like it. If I had done all the same tuning to a 300 WM it would match my WSM. No question of that.

So it's up to you. It depends on your budget. It depends if you want custom or stock with tuning (semi-custom).

If not a hand loader, then 300 win mag. I have recommended this cartridge to guys who literally wanted one rifle and aren't in to tinkering. There are more factory rifle choices in 300 win, but the 300 wsm is a great cartridge . Do a search for Broz, he is hands down the expert on the 300 win mag for hunting and ballistics with real ranch data to back up his conclusions[/QUOTE

Thanks guys! I am a hand loader and i am not going to explain the main reason for this purchase because most will think i am crazy. Going to do this after the first of the year when i get my bonus. I will inform you all of how it turns out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.