What do ya'll think about a 6.5-375 Ruger?

See post #61

Depending on quality and price of brass, the 26 Nosler might be a good option. The impression I get of Nosler brass it that it is generally good quality but not very durable... and the prices seem to indicate Nosler is very proud of it.

Ditto. Nice & consistant BUT..... & add the price on top of that, slightly discouraging.
Sure is a perty round though.

t

Ditto. Nice & consistant BUT..... & add the price on top of that, slightly discouraging.
Sure is a perty round though.

t

I just got a notification from Midway the other day that Nosler 7 SAUM brass was in... and it's still available. Not surprising @ $66 per 25...lol I think I'll wait till the Norma gets in at almost half that price :rolleyes:

I just got a notification from Midway the other day that Nosler 7 SAUM brass was in... and it's still available. Not surprising @ $66 per 25...lol I think I'll wait till the Norma gets in at almost half that price :rolleyes:

That's ridiculous. doesn't Norma make their brass?!

I'd like to see an actual chamber pressure test conducted with the major brass manufacturers. Nosler/Norma, Lapua, Rem, HNDY, Win in a controlled environment, same chamber/bullet/powder/primer. Just to see who's pockets let loose, heads separate etc & at what pressure this occurs.

t

That's ridiculous. doesn't Norma make their brass?!

I'd like to see an actual chamber pressure test conducted with the major brass manufacturers. Nosler/Norma, Lapua, Rem, HNDY, Win in a controlled environment, same chamber/bullet/powder/primer. Just to see who's pockets let loose, heads separate etc & at what pressure this occurs.

t

As far as I know, Norma makes the Nosler brass, then Nosler sorts it and sells it. So from what I read, Nosler brass consistancy is very good. But for twice the price? I don't think so... I'll buy the plain Jane Norma. My only experience with Norma brass has been in the 300 WSM and I was impressed with it. Very good brass and I pushed it hard and it held up well.

I wonder if Norma uses different brass in making the Nosler cases?

As far as I know, Norma makes the Nosler brass, then Nosler sorts it and sells it. So from what I read, Nosler brass consistancy is very good. But for twice the price? I don't think so... I'll buy the plain Jane Norma. My only experience with Norma brass has been in the 300 WSM and I was impressed with it. Very good brass and I pushed it hard and it held up well.

I wonder if Norma uses different brass in making the Nosler cases?

Consistency is always good however, the average reloader can do 90% of that themselves. It might be (ready to load) but I tend to resize every case anyway, call me a cynic. I'm running Norma in my 6.5WSM, so far, I can't complain.

t

I test fired 264 WM yesterday with the 160gr Woodleigh PPSN with 71 grains of the old H570 powder and the 3 shots through the crono at 18 feet were 3052fps, 3088fps, and 3108fps with a average of 3083fps with no signs of pressure problems with Winchester brass.

Watching this thread for a long time now and I may have information that can be useful.

In the 80's and 90's I tried time and again to get appreciable velocity increase from 06 AI case to the 06 Gibbs. Every American case failed period in 2-3 reloading's before I gained 100fps velocity increase. Pretty much gave up running those case hotter than AI load data.
Around the year 2000/2001 I was speaking with a case maker who made wildcat cases for his living. I told him of my Gibbs problem and he said that he had gone through the same problem with his 30 Gibbs until a couple years earlier someone turned him on to RWS cases and he never lost a case since. I started with a 280 Rem RWS case then a 7 X 65R case and after a year of trying to over load and destroy cases I started buying everything I could get my hands on.

Precision, quality, dimensions= the best case I ever used! When Nosler cases came along the primer was no stronger. Norma cases in those days were somewhat better than American made cases but still never lasted as long as RWS.

If you compare the case size of the 6.5 X 68 RWS case to the 375 Ruger case you find they are quite similar. I shot a 264 Winchester for years and was very disappointed in Velocity. I research and loaded to compare the 264 Win and the 6.5 X 68 and neither were worth the powder burn in my Specialty handgun length barrels. When the WSM cases came out a number of guys wildcatted up and down and the guys that went to the 6.5 WSM reported some very awesome ballistics but they quit on that wildcat as it ate barrels. SO I sat on the fence on my 6.5WSM project though I had the dies for a time. About 5 years ago I Nitrided my first barrel and then my second, then I built my 6.5WSM improved after reading the military reports that they were getting 60,000 rounds barrel life out of the M16 barrels.
I am currently at 1300 rounds out of the 6.5WSM and velocity is the same as @ 200 rounds and the 19" barrel is still bug holing (3500fps with 100gr partition). In all of these years I have yet to see one spot of rust on any Nitrided metal and the throat in that 6.5 is fine though it shows minor erosion. I guess 3-4 years ago I passed the Nitriding information on to the different sites and probably doesn't need to go in this particular spot. However Nitriding has allowed me longer life with standard cases with somewhat hotter loads than before I started with RWS cases.

Huntington's is the only place I am aware of that has a good supply of $2.00 RWS cases.

Neal

Thanks Neal for the details on the brass. Speaking of brass:

Nosler's website does not list the 26 Nosler as being available as a component or as loaded ammunition. I am certain they have been making both items for a while but just haven't updated their website?

UPDATE: kept digging and read that the components, ammunition and rifles will be available in March.

Watching this thread for a long time now and I may have information that can be useful.

In the 80's and 90's I tried time and again to get appreciable velocity increase from 06 AI case to the 06 Gibbs. Every American case failed period in 2-3 reloading's before I gained 100fps velocity increase. Pretty much gave up running those case hotter than AI load data.
Around the year 2000/2001 I was speaking with a case maker who made wildcat cases for his living. I told him of my Gibbs problem and he said that he had gone through the same problem with his 30 Gibbs until a couple years earlier someone turned him on to RWS cases and he never lost a case since. I started with a 280 Rem RWS case then a 7 X 65R case and after a year of trying to over load and destroy cases I started buying everything I could get my hands on.

Precision, quality, dimensions= the best case I ever used! When Nosler cases came along the primer was no stronger. Norma cases in those days were somewhat better than American made cases but still never lasted as long as RWS.

If you compare the case size of the 6.5 X 68 RWS case to the 375 Ruger case you find they are quite similar. I shot a 264 Winchester for years and was very disappointed in Velocity. I research and loaded to compare the 264 Win and the 6.5 X 68 and neither were worth the powder burn in my Specialty handgun length barrels. When the WSM cases came out a number of guys wildcatted up and down and the guys that went to the 6.5 WSM reported some very awesome ballistics but they quit on that wildcat as it ate barrels. SO I sat on the fence on my 6.5WSM project though I had the dies for a time. About 5 years ago I Nitrided my first barrel and then my second, then I built my 6.5WSM improved after reading the military reports that they were getting 60,000 rounds barrel life out of the M16 barrels.
I am currently at 1300 rounds out of the 6.5WSM and velocity is the same as @ 200 rounds and the 19" barrel is still bug holing (3500fps with 100gr partition). In all of these years I have yet to see one spot of rust on any Nitrided metal and the throat in that 6.5 is fine though it shows minor erosion. I guess 3-4 years ago I passed the Nitriding information on to the different sites and probably doesn't need to go in this particular spot. However Nitriding has allowed me longer life with standard cases with somewhat hotter loads than before I started with RWS cases.

Huntington's is the only place I am aware of that has a good supply of $2.00 RWS cases.

Neal

The 6.5x68S is a very interesting case. However, I don't see it advertised on Huntington's (nor anywhere else). They do have the 6.5x68R (rimmed). Midway advertises Norma made 8x68S brass for a very reasonable price. The Hornady made 300 Dakota brass will need very little work other than just necking down and maybe sharpening the shoulder slightly. The 6.5x68S has about the same capacity as the 300 wm (actually 2 gr less) If I used it I would definitely want to 'improve" it.

All that said, I think the Hornady made Dakota brass is very good stuff. Have not put it through the ringer yet, but I'm guessing it will hold up well.

Neal

I checked with RWS in Germany and they don't make 264WM brass but they did say that Norma is there sister company and does. Which I had asked them to point me to a company with the same quality as they produce and Norma was there only suggestion.

In re-reading what I posted and it did occur to me that I forgot to make a point. I was not able to defeat the 6.5 WSM with any other 6.5 period! My 6.5 improved reamer is improved and has a 30 degree shoulder. I could have gone with a 35 degree shoulder but chose a more funnel approach because of other work and results using longer cases.

This is my analogy from years of testing the high velocity cartridges, I was reaching pressures long before the case was full on the larger cases. I needed the velocity right now with faster burning powders and my short handgun barrels. Slower burning powders gave less velocity and some a lot less. The 6.5 X 65r case I am using with my own named 6.5 cartridge in the break opens. However I have another barrel for the Savage and I can use the same rimmed cartridge case and a magnum bolthead on the Savage bolt. Not a problem one, on hundreds of rounds fired the rimmed 6.5 X 65 case has had the shoulder moved forward .200 and it misses the velocity of the WSM case by 100-150fps as I recall.

One can use the 8 X 68 case for a 6.5 case I suspect. These cases are so tough in fire forming I had to put 5 grains more Unique to actually expand the case far enough to the chamber. Until I full loaded with powder and bullet I was unable to completely form the case.

Hind sight: I would move the shoulder on the 300WSM case forward .100 instead of just .050. Pretty sure that I can stay with reloader 17 powder and I fully expect to duplicate 257 Weatherby type ballistics without the freebore of the Weatherby. That short stack case is absolutely perfect as all the powder is compact and leaves that small 6.5 neck quick and in a hurry. I have had case separation on the American 264 cases trying to equal the ballistics of the 6.5WSM Imp.

Note: More powder and longer bullets wear out barrels. IF one can find a powder one MAY be able to beat a standard 6.5WSM but I really can't see beating an improved case 6.5 WSM.

Neal

Back in the day I loaded for my Dad's 6.5X68MS. The slow twist (1-14 I believe) limited us to 120gr pills. With the case packed with surplus H870 (no kidding, dunk the case in powder and scrape the excess off) we got 3400fps and zero pressure. The bolt would drop free with the barrel pointed to the sky.

The 6.5X68 MS has all the potential that can be developed in 6.5mm. The down side is the requirement of a magnum length action. The RWS brass is the very best. It also needs a fast 1-8 twist or better. My problem is 375 Ruger brass is I have one it is hard enough to come by without you guys to elbow out of the way!

KB

In re-reading what I posted and it did occur to me that I forgot to make a point. I was not able to defeat the 6.5 WSM with any other 6.5 period! My 6.5 improved reamer is improved and has a 30 degree shoulder. I could have gone with a 35 degree shoulder but chose a more funnel approach because of other work and results using longer cases.

This is my analogy from years of testing the high velocity cartridges, I was reaching pressures long before the case was full on the larger cases. I needed the velocity right now with faster burning powders and my short handgun barrels. Slower burning powders gave less velocity and some a lot less. The 6.5 X 65r case I am using with my own named 6.5 cartridge in the break opens. However I have another barrel for the Savage and I can use the same rimmed cartridge case and a magnum bolthead on the Savage bolt. Not a problem one, on hundreds of rounds fired the rimmed 6.5 X 65 case has had the shoulder moved forward .200 and it misses the velocity of the WSM case by 100-150fps as I recall.

One can use the 8 X 68 case for a 6.5 case I suspect. These cases are so tough in fire forming I had to put 5 grains more Unique to actually expand the case far enough to the chamber. Until I full loaded with powder and bullet I was unable to completely form the case.

Hind sight: I would move the shoulder on the 300WSM case forward .100 instead of just .050. Pretty sure that I can stay with reloader 17 powder and I fully expect to duplicate 257 Weatherby type ballistics without the freebore of the Weatherby. That short stack case is absolutely perfect as all the powder is compact and leaves that small 6.5 neck quick and in a hurry. I have had case separation on the American 264 cases trying to equal the ballistics of the 6.5WSM Imp.

Note: More powder and longer bullets wear out barrels. IF one can find a powder one MAY be able to beat a standard 6.5WSM but I really can't see beating an improved case 6.5 WSM.

Neal

You are using 6.5x68R (rimmed) brass?

I don't see how you can push the shoulder forward any amount in a WSM let alone .100. The neck on the 270 WSM is only .277 as it is and if you change the shoulder from 35 to 30 you're going to loose more neck and when you neck it down, you will loose even more, not to mention the brass is usually .005 - .010 shorter than spec anyway. If you want more capacity and 30* shoulder, then go with the 7 Dakota necked down. It is almost exactly what you are describing and it already has a 30* shoulder and good long neck to boot and made by Norma (last I heard)

I have tried RL17 and Retumbo with 130 gr bullets in my 6.5 WSM and both gave basically the same velocity (about 3400) at the same pressure and the Retumbo filled the case better. I was able to push 140 bullets about 3450 out of a 27" with RL33. IMO, RL33 is the powder for the 6.5 WSM and I'm sure it would do very well in the 6.5/Dakota.

You can... move the shoulder forward that is. I shot some F-class practice a couple weeks back with a guy that shoots for Lapua and his F-Open rifle was a 300 WSM with the shoulder pushed forward. Looked like a 6 Dasher only 50% larger.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.