what do u think ?

shootallday

hello I am thinking of getting the Remington 700 long-range in 7mm rem mag. I just like to see if any off u have one and what u think about the lr 700

although I don't have the particular rifle that interests you, I have and have had plenty of Rem700s. All of them have performed well right out of the box. Regardless of their performance, I've torn all the factory barrels off of them and used the actions for custom builds. That's one of the beauties of Rem700s though. They are highly customizable and everyone works on them and make aftermarket parts for them.

thanks of the info I like to long range model because it comes with a bell and Carlson m 40 stock saves some money when u buy a new stock I also have a rem ss in 7mm08 that needs a new barrel just haven't desided to keep it 7mm08

hello I am thinking of getting the Remington 700 long-range in 7mm rem mag. I just like to see if any off u have one and what u think about the lr 700

I don't have one, but I do want one. I have several rifles in that caliber, and almost every centerfire rifle I have is a Rem 700. Like trebark, most of mine are custom builds and the actions have been blueprinted, but most 700's can be shooters out of the box with load development.

I don't necessarily need one, but a 7mmRM wtih a 26" heavy barrel in a factory B&C Medalist stock seems like an excellent place to start a LR build. Bed the action, float the barrel, add on an EGW HD 20 MOA base, some Seekins rings, a Jewell or Timney trigger, and a scope of your choice, and you have a recipe for a nice budget LR shooter.

thanks of the info I like to long range model because it comes with a bell and Carlson m 40 stock saves some money when u buy a new stock I also have a rem ss in 7mm08 that needs a new barrel just haven't desided to keep it 7mm08

If you buy the 700LR in 7mmRM, I'd rebarrel your 7mm-08 into a .260 Rem or a .260 Ackely Improved (if you're an experienced handloader) with a 26" heavy sendero/varmint barrel.

thanks of the responses the lr rem 700 from what I can see is only about 100 bucks more I don't mind spending the money but that's like 150 bucks u will save. I was thinking of the 260 most guys say 6.5 creedmoor but not sold on it yet and I do reload thanks

nice rifle trebark that's the only thing holding me back is a good gunsmith most of the work I can do but no longer have a lathe to fit barrels in the part of new York ' up state ' most gunsmiths are snobby and rather not them touch my rifle

I had a 300 rum savage good rifle shoot good just so much powder used for the little extra fps the 338 looks good I can probly get that savage back for under 300 bucks

I looked into getting one of these in a 7mm but changed my mind to a 300 rum. The nice gun sales man behind the counter explained to me that he owns this rifle in both calibers and that the 7mm's barrels aren't finished properly in the throat sometimes and that you need to have a Remington dealer fix it, also was told to replace the action screws right away since they are pot metal. Ultimately I think the rifle is to good a deal to pass up and I will be purchasing one as soon as I can convince the wife to let me.

I looked into getting one of these in a 7mm but changed my mind to a 300 rum. The nice gun sales man behind the counter explained to me that he owns this rifle in both calibers and that the 7mm's barrels aren't finished properly in the throat sometimes and that you need to have a Remington dealer fix it, also was told to replace the action screws right away since they are pot metal. Ultimately I think the rifle is to good a deal to pass up and I will be purchasing one as soon as I can convince the wife to let me.

Caliber doesn't make any difference as to whether the barrel's throats are properly cut. A faulty/dull reamer can cause an improperly cut throat, and that can happen to any rifle in any caliber. Especially a rifle that was factory chambered in mass quantities (regardless of brand).

As for "properly finished", I am not aware of any factory rifle barrel that will have a polished throat when it leaves the factory, unless it is a custom shop rifle and the barrel was hand-lapped. That's what breaking in a barrel, and/or hand-lapping a barrel does, it polishes and smooths out the imperfections from the machining processes to drill and rifle the bore. That dealer obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

And as many rifles as Remington produces, if one run of rifles in a particular caliber DID have a bad throat in it, that reamer that was used to cut those chambers is most likely LONG gone by now.

As for the action screws, I use factory Remington action screws, and have had zero problems.

As for the caliber, that "nice dealer" sounds like a supporter, and just wanted to sell you a bigger caliber to sell you more expensive ammo, and more powder (RUM's use ALOT more powder than a 7mmRM), etc... Not to mention all that smoke he was blowing was most-likely just to get you to buy his favorite caliber.

Last edited:
+2 to mudrunner 300 rum good but to much for the little Gane and I like the 7rm.
I'm still trying to deside on the barrel for my stainless 700 and good smith's u guys can recommend on the east cost was thinking about a rem/age barrel what's the thought about them

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.