What do I build?

Carlos Mesa

I recently acquired a Remington 700 in 7MM. Id like to build a light longrange rifle, but I'm torn between a 7mm saum or a 7MM. I know I want a 24in barrel with a 1 in 8 twist to shoot 180 grain Burger VLD. Nothing is set in stone yet, and would really appreciate any suggestions or recommendations anyone may have.

Depends on the prurpose of the rifle. For an all purpose rifle I would do a 300 winchester. One of my primary backpack rifles is a 300 winchester 24" barrel. If you are stuck on a 7mm do a 7mm wsm or 7mm Dakota on your 24" barrel. Those two are the best choice for top 7mm performance in a 24" barrel.

I'll be using it for hunting Coues deer. I want to stay with the 7mm's. I'll do some more research on the Dakota and the wsm thanks

Forget the 300 winchester then. A bit much for coues deer. Here is your issue. You want a lightweight long range rifle with a 24" barrel. Long range for a lightweight 24" barrel rifle is going to put you max maybe about a half mile if you are an exceptional shooter with outstanding form. Light, short barreled rifles are very difficult to shoot to 800 yards. Now you want to build with a cartrdge that performs well with excellent efficiency out of a 24" barrel and choose a bullet for it that performs best under 800 yards. The 7mm wsm performs well in a 24" barrel. I would match it with a lighter, faster bullet. The distance the 180 grain begins to beat out the lighter bullets is way beyond the capability of your rifle. You want to match a bullet that gives you top capability within the performance of your rifle.

I'd suggest a 7WSM or 7-300WSM on a long action, #6 fluted barrel, and one of Darrel Hollands hunting stocks, a McMillan HTG, or a Manners Mcs-T.

If you want a tad lighter and handier, go with the 7SAUM on a short action, same stock choices, and a #5 barrel.

Run 180's in the above.

For more horsepower, or the run the New Berger 195, look at the Dakota, or 7-300 Win Mag.

Have fun!!:D

Thanks for the information it sound like I need to do homework . Would you guys recomond a 26" barrel instead ?

Just to give you guys a little info on me . I currently shoot a custom 300 RUM which I love . I have harvested 4 deer between 600-850 yards so can shoot a little. I hand load all my bullets and spend a lot of time behind my rifle.

Thanks Carlos

Barrel length depends on a couple factors. The cartridge, bullet, powder, and the use of the rifle are factors. As a rule, I start with 27" barrels for the WSM, 25" for the SAUM. Going shorter will give up a bit of velocity, but makes for a handier package.

When a customer wants to hit a specific weight, I suggest a shorter heavier barrel over a longer lighter barrel. Ultimately, build the rifle how you like it. We can make it perform.

I would stick to the SA rounds, but feed em in the LA. Its so nice to have lots of room for the bergers. Im looking at a similar build off my current .280 REM (even though its awsome as is).
Im leaning towards the SAUM and running a short 25" barrel. If your looking for a lightweight type rifle, stick with the 24''-25" barrel. They're just handy and nice to hunt with.
As LTLR stated, you may want to look at a lighter bullet for your application. The 168's might just preform better to say... 700 yards in the wind and deliver more energy. The 180's are sweet though, and the 195's will be even sweeter.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.