What dies to buy for a new build!

akhunter

So here's my dilemma. Probably not much of a dilemma to some of you but for me it might as well be one of the last great mysteries since these things drive me crazy until I find the answer. I've got a gun smith making me a 6.5X300saum as we speak. He and I briefly discussed buying a bushing die for a 300 or 7mm saum and changing the bushings to accommodate the 6.5. I found a standard two die set for sale in stock for 6.5X300saum by Redding. I could just buy them and be done with it. The gun I'm having build should be the most potentially accurate gun in the safe and I don't want to skimp in any direction on parts and pieces for it. So my question is what is the difference, accuracy wise, between the more expensive bushing/competition dies and the standard two die set? Are my odds better with the more expensive dies?

Thanks!
Phil in Alaska

Anytime I am necking a bullet down, I use a Redding bushing die to help prevent runout. Can a regular die set do the same thing? You bet. But the bushing increases the odds of not getting runout.

Ok since bushing dies are the answer let me take the question one step further. I currently have and load for a 300 saum. I just have standard dies for it. My gunsmith recommended getting the 300 bushing dies and adjusting for the 6.5. That got me thinking maybe I could load for both the 300 and 6.5 with the same basic set of dies and just change the internal parts necessary. I called Redding and asked them that question. They said as a company they can't recommend going more than one caliber size down but that it would work. The guy at Redding recommended using the 7mm saum and adjusting it down from there. I suppose it also makes sense to use 7mm saum brass as well. I thought the only difference between the 7mm and 300 saum was the neck and that the body was the same. So I wondered why I couldn't just get 300 saum dies, load for that gun and get the internal parts to do the same for the 6.5. That would take care of both calibers with one set of dies and two sets of internal parts. What am I missing?
Phil in Alaska

I can't address the issue regarding potential differences between the 7 SAUM and the 300 SAUM. What I can speak to is necking down brass in multiple stages. I think you already have a good bead on this one.

I shoot a 277 Allen Magnum, which is based on the 338 Lapua Magnum case. In order to make the brass usable for my 277 AM, I have to neck down the brass in stages. If memory serves me correctly, I first neck from .338 down to .323; then down to .308; then down to .284 and then finally down to .277.

Unless there is a difference in case design between the 300 and 7 SAUM, you should be fine using either one for your 6.5. I would aneal the case neck first and then neck down in stages.

The 7saum is simply necked down from the 300. No angle or dimension differences really other than the necks. So you would be fine with a 300 bushing die for necking down and normal neck sizing of your 6.5saum.

Bushing sizes for this might amount to a little trial & error, because it's difficult to predict how much the necks will thicken on down sizing. Hopefully someone here knows first hand. And hopefully your gunsmith is accounting for this.
If it were me, I'd buy a few bushings and make some 6.5 brass from 7saum using your 300 die, seat bullets roughly & take measurements to validate your plan.

Thanks guys thats super helpful stuff. I dont mind turning necks if thats whats required to make this work. A guy would at least end up with one more thing thats consistant if all the necks had to be turned. Probably wouldnt have to with 7mm saum brass but I bet you would with 300 saum brass. Any other comments are welcome. Jim at Center Shot Rifles is doing the build and the gun wont be ready until this fall so I have some time to get things straight.

Phil in Alaska

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.