What dies should I buy?

VanJansenburgh

I am preparing to reload for a CZ 527 Varmint MTR in 6.5 Grendel. I am looking at dies sets, and have already decide on neck dies instead of full length resizing. My question is: Is the price jump from standard the standard Redding Neck die set to the Type S match die set worth it? For someone like me who is a relative novice at precision shooting and reloading, shooting a factory rifle.

I have experience with standard RCBS and Redding type S bushing dies. I'm not entirely sure the later are necessary, as by improving some of my brass prep skills, I've achieved more than acceptable results with standard RCBS dies. I've noticed that I'm able to achieve consistent .002 neck tension, and while run-out isn't controlled as well with the cheaper die, it's easy to correct with my concentricity gage. I usually save the money now for other stuff and just go with the standard die. Just my .02

So far it sounds like standard dies will do just fine.
My goal is to find the point of diminishing returns, with respect to money and time spent versus accuracy. This is the reason I went with a 6.5 grendel CZ as opposed to a 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5x47 l or other such cartridge. Now I'm trying to find that point with the reloading supplies. There is just so many options out there its hard to sort through it all and distill it down to what is really worth while.

24D9092F-4268-408A-AB93-5C6379323FCC.jpeg

For years all I've ever used were standard dies from RCBS, Lee, Redding, and Hornady. I've never had a problem with these giving me consistent accuracy and velocity. Bushing dies give you more control on neck tension, which can improve your accuracy and consistency. I don't think bushing dies are required for 90% of shooters and hunters. A lot of guys use them because they give you the ultimate control in sizing and many feel they're the best on the market.

One thing I have found that's considered as good or better than bushing dies, is using a Sinclair mandrel die. The die is like $35 and universal, and you can buy the mandrels for around $15-20 a piece and they are .001 or .002 under bullet diameter to set your neck tension. 21st Century makes them that fit the Sinclair die and they're in .0005 increments. They take an extra step, but I don't mind. I haven't yet completed my testing on them, but preliminary results look good. The bullets seat with more consistent and better feel. And the limited velocity testing I did and runout testing showed the mandrel sized cases were a little better than just standard sizing dies.

For years all I've ever used were standard dies from RCBS, Lee, Redding, and Hornady. I've never had a problem with these giving me consistent accuracy and velocity. Bushing dies give you more control on neck tension, which can improve your accuracy and consistency. I don't think bushing dies are required for 9% of shooters and hunters. A lot of guys use them because they give you the ultimate control in sizing and many feel they're the best on the market.

One thing I have found that's considered as good or better than bushing dies, is using a Sinclair mandrel die. The die is like $35 and universal, and you can buy the mandrels for around $15-20 a piece and they are .001 or .002 under bullet diameter to set your neck tension. 21st Century makes them that fit the Sinclair die and they're in .0005 increments. They take an extra step, but I don't mind. I haven't yet completed my testing on them, but preliminary results look good. The bullets seat with more consistent and better feel. And the limited velocity testing I did and runout testing showed the mandrel sized cases were a little better than just standard sizing dies.
I use them as well definitely worth the extra step

You will have better results with Forster full length dies with their high mounted floating expander.
The case neck is held and centered in the neck of the die when the expander enters the case neck.
This keeps the expander from pulling the case neck off center and inducing neck runout.

CzNnpuh.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.