What could be wrong

merbeau

Hi

Four months ago I sent my Remington 700 LA that was in 30-06 caliber off to be re barreled to 6.5x55. I also ordered a new PTG stainless bolt that was dropped shipped to the smith. The barrel/receiver was trued and also blued.

Yesterday I received the unit back and the bluing was spectacular and the stainless fluted bolt looks really nice when inserted into the receiver.

Now my problem.

I took a piece of resized Norma brass and inserted it into the chamber and attempted to close the bolt. It would not close without some force and when trying to eject it would not and was difficult to remove the case from the bolt head.

I then took a piece of resized bras and cut a slit in the neck with a exacto hack saw and inserted a bullet into the neck. I then placed it in the chamber and tried to close the bolt to see where the bullet touched the lands. Could not get the bolt to close.

Any ideas what is the problem? Little disappointing to wait so long and now issues!

I would first verify that the chamber will take a go gage, then try factory loaded ammo to see if it fits (somewhere safe )it could be your resized brass is a little oversize, and the chamber has been cut on the low end of the tolerance.

You said your brass was stuck in the bolt. If you remove the bolt, will your brass fit into it easily? The rim on a 6.5x55 is slightly larger than the 06 so, based on what you said, it sounds like your bolt face needs to be slightly enlarged.

You said your brass was stuck in the bolt. If you remove the bolt, will your brass fit into it easily? The rim on a 6.5x55 is slightly larger than the 06 so, based on what you said, it sounds like your bolt face needs to be slightly enlarged.
What Edd said^^^^^^ , but most all cases I've measured have a rim of .470-.473 diameter. Also, I've noticed a great deal of variation in brass from maker to maker, and from new manufacture to manufacture from 10-15yrs ago. I chambered a 6.5x55 awhile back. Set the headspace @ GO + .002". I test fired it with Winchester ammo that was approx. 10-12yrs. old. Chambered and fired that ammo perfectly. That chamber would not accept newly manufactured Win. , Hornaday or Privi Partisan ammo. It would chamber newly manufactured Rem. and my handloads I constructed using Nosler brass.

Re: What could be wrong [update]

Thanks to everyone that responded - you helped identify the problem.

I believe the bolt face is a little small. I took the original bolt and placed it into the rifle and chambered a piece of brass and it went in smoothly and ejected without any problem. The inside diameter of the Remington bolt is 0.4751 inches.

The inside diameter of the bolt from PTG is 0.474 inches and the rim diameter of my Norma brass is 0.475 inches And when you remove the bolt you can not place a piece of brass easily into the bolt head. However, a piece of 30-06 brass will easily fit into the bolt head.

I was told that Norma produces their 6.5x55 brass according to CTP standards rather than SAMMI or European versus American.

The standard shell holder plate #2 for 6.5x55 from RCBS would not work and had to order another #3 for it to work because the rim diameter being larger.

The smith told me it went out of his shop working fine with Nosler brass. He obviously has washed his hands of the work. I blame myself for not sending a piece of brass with the receiver when I sent it off.

I guess either purchase Nosler brass or have the bolt face enlarged but at this point I do not want to deal any more gunsmiths for awhile.

Last edited:
Winchester brass will work. It uses a #2 Shellholder. Norma and Lapua take a #3. It is not difficult to open up the bolt face a bit. Does not take much. Talk to your smith about it.

Winchester brass will work. It uses a #2 Shellholder. Norma and Lapua take a #3. It is not difficult to open up the bolt face a bit. Does not take much. Talk to your smith about it.

Thanks WBM - I do have a box of Nosler Ammunition but am hesitant to load a live round into the chamber inside my house. I will wait until I get to the range for testing. If the Nosler does not work than I will go ahead and purchase the Winchester brass.

Re: What could be wrong -update

I received an email from the smith and indicated that he thought I was using brass fire formed from another rifle. Apparently that happened previously. He told me to ship the bolt and brass sample and would open the bolt face.

I feel relieved that at the response and customer service.

Again thanks to all who responded for directing me in the right direction.

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.