what contour for a lr elk hammer

porkchop401

Fellas, I just ordered a hart ltr stock for my lr elk gun project. It is going to be chambered in .338rum ,I was wanting a sendero profile barrel 28" but i am kinda thinking a little more meat may be a good thing, maybe straight taper with .875 @ the muzzle. This will be a ridge/canyon gun where limited carring is involved. with a 2lb. NF scope i wolld hope to be around 12_13lb. am i off the mark on this . suggestions please..

How much packing will you likely see? if you aren't packing more than a few hundred yards then weight won't mean much but if you actually need to pack your whole camp in, its gonna be a consideration. Go with a brake from Kirby. Recoil will be more than manageable even with a lighter profile. I have a 3 port on a MTU profile barrel. It'll make a 300wm recoil like a .223

Well typically I hike no more than a half. mile from tran portation, i am more concerned with having a gun that is rock solid on a pod. One concern is having a barrel that is too heavey to freefloat. I have other rifles suitable for work at say less than 400yds.and dark timber situations.I just seem to see much more game from high ridges and canyon ledges where shots run 600_yrds amd further. I shoot steel out to 1k. so I see no reason why with appropiate power and plenty of practice i could not hint at those distence.

I have a 338 LM with a fluted #5 barrel, shooting 300 SMK's. the rifle is too light to track my shots. I wish I would have at least gone with a Sendero or #7 contour.

I have a 338 RUM in with a #8 contour barrel and it's very steady while shooting, but just a tad heavy, may have been lighter with deep flutes.

I have the parts sitting in my safe for the same rifle, hart stock, 338 RUM 28in long plus a Muscle Brake and I used a Brux standard palma fluted. I build another one for my buddy the exact same but with a Stockaded stock with a Sightron SIII and it's 12.5 lbs. You'll go over weight with a heavier barrel and a Nightforce.

Well I dont want a rail gun but I would like it to sit still for tracking the shot .
Hart barrels offers a Magnum 1000 contour that is a straight taper down to .875 but the 3-4 month waiting time has me eyeballing a schilin and any other barrel makers you may no of with out a wait would be appreciated .

I just finished replacing the factory barrel on my Sendero with a #7 Shilen. It is noticably heavier than the factory set up and does change the ballance. It shoots nice off a bipod with the extra weight, but then again the original was nice shooting too. All in all, I would stick with the Sendero contour for hunting just for the portability.

Also, if you think you will ever have to take an offhand shot, you will probably regret having the heavy barrel.

I just finished replacing the factory barrel on my Sendero with a #7 Shilen. It is noticably heavier than the factory set up and does change the ballance. It shoots nice off a bipod with the extra weight, but then again the original was nice shooting too. All in all, I would stick with the Sendero contour for hunting just for the portability.

Also, if you think you will ever have to take an offhand shot, you will probably regret having the heavy barrel.
Yep, the Sendero taper is plenty.

My 300 Rum Sendero with the IOR 6-24x50 weighs in right around his top preferred weight and gets the job done to 1,000yds with ease. Tracking shots and seeing impacts is quite doable even at 200yds.

Put a good muzzle brake on it and you'll be able to do the same with the .338 Rum as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.