What constitutes a "FULL" custom rifle build? ...

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by FEENIX, Jul 19, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. 25WSM

25WSM Well-Known Member

Well when you see a custom hotrod it normally has a built up factory motor. Is built on a factory frame. Has mostly factory body panels. I believe any rifle that isn't factory 100% is customized. That doesn't mean a full complete build of all after market parts. A full custom rifle can use any action you choose it to be on. Like its been said most custom actions are clones of actions already made. Look how many copy a Remington. Winnie 70 and savage have been cloned too. So you might get a side bolt release and a sako or m-16 extractor. Doesn't really make a better action. So basically I have 2 categories. Customized or full custom. If you specify the action and barrel and stock and have a Smith build it for you it's a custom rifle. Shep

FIGJAM likes this.
  2. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

Question. What would be the viewpoint on a PRS chassis rifle that had all the exquisite components, as described in this thread professionally assembled into highly accurate and consistent shooter.
    Full Custom?

3. FIGJAM

FIGJAM Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

This is where is gets interesting. People who spend $5k on a custom can’t stand the guys who throw a gun together for $2k using a savage action and call it custom...lol

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Ndfarmer, bdlesh and 25WSM like this.
  4. 300whisper

300whisper Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Semi custom. To be full custom it has to be built using and smelling of rich mahogony.

JJMoody, rustyshackleford and FIGJAM like this.
  5. Nowoolies

Nowoolies Well-Known Member

300 whisper
    what the blazes does a barrel nut have to do with a custom build the rifle in my avatar is full custom and that don't have a nut apart from the one behind it

6. 25WSM

25WSM Well-Known Member

Find the right Smith and you won't pay 5000. I don't know why some places mark up their custom rifles so much. I only charge for the work I do. It's the same price no matter what I'm working on. Here is my typical build.
    Action 1300
    Barrel 350
    Stock 500
    Trigger 200
    Bottom metal 200
    Recoil lug 30
    Screws 15
    2595 in parts at retail price
    Labor
    Instal barrel 200
    Glass bed 200 with pillars
    Finishing metal and final fitting of stock and trigger adjustments
    I've been doing this for 30 years and I don't see where the other 1500 goes. Except in there pocket. Find someone who only charges you for actual labor. Don't pay for the custom surcharge. I'm not advertising here just advising. Shep

7. BrentM

BrentM Well-Known Member

4C4B5FAB-0ABD-4493-9632-EB65DFF77911.jpeg
    Full custom is no oem parts. Semi custom is oem parts modified.

I usually do semi custom. True the action, aftermarket barrel, modified oem or aftermarket stock, trigger.

Currently building a full custom now. Triggertech, tl3 sa, mdt chassis, proof carbon.
    The picture is a typical semi custom.

Deezel, RockyMtnMT, Tangent and 2 others like this.
  8. rustyshackleford

rustyshackleford Well-Known Member

I look at it like a 1911. Colt and Springfield are production handguns. Dan Wesson and Wilson Combat are high end production. A modified Colt/Springfield/DW/WC would be semi custom. A 1911 slide and frame hand fitted by a gunsmith of your choosing with individual parts or parts kit of your choosing is full custom.

A rem 700 or clone action, pre fit barrel nut, and a chassis isn’t much different than assembling an AR. A rem 700 or aftermarket action are still both production actions. Maybe the full custom/semi custom distinction for me is hand selected unfitted parts.

25WSM likes this.
  9. JJMoody

JJMoody Well-Known Member

Re read the title of FULL CUSTOM!!!! Not partly custom. Not a reworked great shooter, not a $250 factory rifle that spanks the pants off of a $10k rifle, full freaking custom!! Could be a fully custom turd as long as it’s full custom. This could start to split hairs, but full still means full. Hermeneutically speaking, of course.

Deezel, RockyMtnMT and FEENIX like this.
  10. longrangebob

longrangebob Well-Known Member

Deezel Sayz it — all that is missing is the Gun Nutz behind it, who has spent the $ and has the pleasure of shooting it (them) & have all the types listed!!!! (Including mass produced “made cheap for the wars”!!! )
    All the other definitions have merit too —- cause so much is personal preference

11. longrangebob

Oooppsss there should have been an “I” after (them) before &

12. amadjuster

amadjuster Member

It is not truly a fully custom rifle unless it is a 6.5 Creedmore and you claim it will kill elephants on the next continent. You also have to look like a used car salesman while bragging about how it is soooooo much better than anyone else’s. That should cover it

13. 458win

458win Well-Known Member

Might as well put a wrench in the works here. Anything you can buy off the shelf and put together to me isn’t custom. Anyone with a lathe and some basic instructions can thread and chamber a barrel. Calling defiance for an action, McMillan for a stock, timney for a trigger, Krieger for a barrel and having it assembled is something that almost anyone can do.

Custom to me is wood and steel and something you can’t buy off a shelf. A craftsman takes a block of wood and carves out a stock to fit you, metal work is done in the exact style you specify, if it’s a big boomer an extra recoil lug is machined out of the barrel and the checkering is done in the style that you desire. Not pick out of these 4 templates.

Ordering a “custom” rifle from Dakota or Cooper isn’t any different then ordering a new pickup or car and specifying what options you want on it.

Custom to me is a rifle built by one man from start to finish that cannot be duplicated other then by him. I’m not saying build action, trigger and barrel; I’m saying that he can take a rough action smooth it out, hone a trigger to where it’s reliable, safe and crisp, turn a barrel to a custom contour etc. Factory parts from different manufactures assembled to build a rifle is just ordering a factory rifle that is tailored to your taste. Custom is a one off job. Built is a assembly of parts that you specify but can be duplicated in a instant by almost anyone.

Greyfox and rustyshackleford like this.
  14. longrangebob

amadjuster —- thanx for the chuckle & Grin !,, and catching my typo contributing more error in verbiage choice ✅