What compares to pelican rifle case?

the VAULT case by PELICAN is a great budget case. less than $200 and very well made. took mine to new zealand and will be taking it to Africa in 2021. great quality foam and love the latches.

I have 2 good cases for all my rifles. They stay in the safe and when I go to shoot or hunting I load up the ones I want? I can spend 4 or 5 hours messing with 2 rifles I don't need to take a bunch. Same with hunting most years one rifle never leaves it's case to hunt.

Starlight cases are good, in my experience. I have several, that have been used for quite heavy guns for many years, and I'm happy with them. I haven't looked them up in many years, but they used to be priced very competitively with Pelican.

Ive got SKB and Cabelas, but just picked up a Plano field locker (i think) for a bowhunt in canada. **** is that thing SOLID! No worries that anything will be damaged, including the case.

I have an SKB an it's served me well for several years. It's been on only about 7 flights. It still looks like the day I bought it. It'll hold 2 rifles that are on the slimmer side, but only 1 if it's my bulky target rifle.
Probably not quite as heavy duty as pelican but it's probably a bit lighter too.
I've used pelican case for photo gear and they are solid and don't hold much before being over weight. But they do protect what's inside.
Edit: Anything longer than 26" barrel with a break probably won't fit.

You put a rifle and scope worth like 7-8K in it and they cost too much? OK.
Also I like 28" barrels with a break so 30" and most Pelicans are too short inside.
They do make one for Surveying equipment that's long enough..

I agree, but its also about what's in your budget and affordable. I know guys who cant rub 2 nickels together but when it comes to their guns and hunting, the sky is the limit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pelican has a 15% off coupon right now and free shipping. I'd call that a win if looking at one to buy. 1750 is my favorite

Was wondering what you guys thought was comparable to a pelican rifle case

A few months back I took a road trip through Alaska (truck and camper) for 6 weeks, I took a shotgun along, I wanted a nice size case not too big but strong with a good seal without out paying a ton of money, I bought a Boyt H52SG single long gun case for $125.00 on sale it was perfect I was very satisfied with it was the perfect size to keep one gun in, very strong. I've own and have owned many other cases, like Pelican, Bear aluminum, SK hard plastic, and a few others... many I still have, but these are two rifle cases and quite large and heavy. The price of the Boyt is hard to beat.

H52SG_Black.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.