What company makes a .223 bolt gun with a 1:8 or more twist?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Fred#34, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Fred#34

Fred#34 New Member

Hello, This is a great site and after a few reads I had to register. So, the new guy needs help in finding a .223 Rem. bolt gun which offers a tighter barrel twist than a 1:9. I've checked from Howa to Remington (tactical line) and not one company offered a tighter barrel.

In comes Tikka with a 1:8 twist heavy barrel with the T3 Tactical and later the Super Varmint with a SS barrel and same 1:8 twist. So, after tons of reading I decided on the Tikka Tactical in .223. From one respected site their review of the Tactical was a stock replacement. Sure enough after a few trips to the range to break in the barrel and scope I deffinately see a stock replacement in the near future.

The problem is only a few companies make stocks for the T3 Tactical under $500 and that is a lot. One recommendation was to sell the rifle and build a new rifle to my own specs. That is a good one if I had all the $$ to spend. Why .223? Well I have a good many .75gr .223 rounds and with this ammo fiasco at hand I chose quality over quantity so my new AR went cold and picked up the T3 Tactical . Now I really like the one long shot over the many.

Any suggestions? If somebody could recommend a .223 rifle with a 1:8 twist and the rifle could be tweekedlightbulb or the stock be easily replaced like a SAVAGE I would be thrilled!! That's to say under 1k.:D. Thanks guys!!

2. crout

crout Member

savage makes a 1:7 it will do whatever the 1:8 can do and more.

3. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

Pac-Nor offers .224 barrels with twists of 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8, and 8.6 inch. They'll prefit barrels for most bolt actions in the profile chamber and crown of your choioce. PAC-NOR Barreling, Inc. - Prefit Barrels

4. Fred#34

Fred#34 New Member

Which models are they? The Savage website offers a few 12VSS in a 1:7 but just a couple. I mentioned 1:8 because that was what my rifle came in and yes a 1:7 is better and is my preference yet it seems a very elusive rifle. Too bad Savage couldn't come out with a 10FCP MCMILLAN in a .223 and a 1:7 twist barrel or something close.

5. crout

crout Member

yep just a couple of the 12 series are 1-7" the rest are 1-9"

6. WI3Der

WI3Der Member