What clothes / Layering design do you guys use for late season in places like CO all I had was some ridge reaper stuff and some thermals.

I use merino exclusively as my base layer. Really it is a merino/nylon blend, but mostly merino wool. Merino/wool next to your skin works better than synthetics when it gets a bit warm or a touch colder than planned. On the long johns, merino or I also use polypro. And always wool socks. For the base layer merino I use Black Ovis (easy to find on sale), and Kuiu. Sitka merino is harder to find these days and pricey when you find it.

Another benefit of wool is it generally speaking doesn't stink like synthetics after a few days. Before merino I used scratchy Filson wool tops and bottoms. Great performance just scratchy.

For the mid-layers I tend to use a sitka or kuiu midweight quarter zip over the merino base. Then a Sitka Jetstream (or KUIU DCS) vest over that. I like the vest because when I'm active I can shed my outer layer and reject heat through my arms, while keeping my core warm.

Top layer is a Sitka Mountain Jacket or equivalent. I use the Mountain pant from Sitka more than the Kuiu Guide DCS pant simply because I am a big fan of the knee pads.

I have a really plush neck gaiter from Sitka that is awesome. My gloves are some third party italian things that are more of a ski glove but dang they are just warm.

I have an oversized fleece beanie what was like 15 bucks at Cabelas. Fits my noggin and it's warm. I tried the Sitka beanie and it was junk didn't cover my ears. You have to be a little careful because covering your ears hurts your hearing but in serious cold you need something......

This system has worked for me down to about zero F. If it is going to be cold all day I raise up to a down outer layer jacket.

My hunting includes rides in side by sides, a lot of walking, and extended periods glassing. Usually at elevations 7000' and up.

I consider the camo pattern secondary. What I like about Sitka (and to a lesser degree Kuiu) is that the zippers and snaps are quiet, they have plenty of pockets in the right places (including pit zips and hip zips for guys who sweat easily like me), and the stitching isn't falling apart from the day I bring it home. Think through want you want to carry - your calls, GPS, ID, whatever. I usually have a pack with me, but some things you need on your person all the time like calls and maybe GPS, etc.

Often I am wearing mixed camo patterns. The animals don't seem to care.

I'm not riding horses that are trying to scrape me off so can't comment on that aspect. But I have hung up on a lot of deadfall etc, especially in burn areas and this gear has held up.

Pick the brand you like. Just use layers and buy some decent quality and you will enjoy your hunt a lot more.

Oh yeah, I carry a very lightweight goretex shell if there's any chance of getting rained on. Balls up nice and small in my pack.

Last edited:
You don't want to use cotton at any layer. Once wet or damp. The pull heat from you. There should be info out there on cool weather dressing gear. Down liner don't work either. If wet it takes away body heat. Now if you are backpacking a down sleeping bag is warmer for the weight. It has to be protected against getting wet. A thermal blanket should be carried with you and use if you get into trouble. They generally have an orange side to them. They are very small and light. Wool is good and retains about 80% of heat value, but heavy. Gortex and Tin-lite are vey much lighter and rain proof with heat retention. Silk against the body will take the moister away from the body or synthetic, will do the same.
Layer is the name of the game.

I've been wearing the BlackOvis merino tops and bottoms for the past couple of years. They work very well and you can get them cheaper on CamoFire. Merino wool socks are a must. I've been using mostly Sitka stuff that I get on sale. Timberline pants, Traverse hoody and Jet Stream jacket. Most of my hunting in PA is stationary but when I move around I just shed the jacket. When I hunt in AZ I just switch the pants to Carharts so the brush doesn't tear up my Sitkas.
I've heard lots of good things about First Lite and will probably try some pieces soon.

I don't use a specific brand for under layers. If find a garment that I like that is the right weight and I like the price, I buy it. Eddie Bauer, North Face, older Cabelas, Hot Chili Peppers I use all of these in different layering combinations. No one brand is really "better" than another. I do try to stick with established mountaineering brands though. My outer layer, when it's dry out, isn't as important as long as the camo pattern breaks up my outline. My wet outer gear has always been a North Face or Eddie Bauer jacket in dark colors and quality packable rain pants.

No matter what layer system, wear a layer that has twin pockets up front. Put a handwarmer in each one. Same thing for back. Have two inner pockets sewn over kidneys for hand warmers. Works great.

For really cold surplus military polar fleece cannot be beat. Best for stands and light movement, work up a sweat hard walking in.

Part of the answer to your question is going to depend on you. How warm or cold blooded you are. Are you up moving most part of the time, how much you sit etc etc. I use merino wool, for the top I usually have at least 3 layers available. Plus my pack always has a rain jacket and a puffy in it. I have gotten so my favorite pants are the Sitka mountain or timberline pants (sure there are lots of other options). Then depending on how cold it is I may add a pair of merino wool long John's. Merino wool socks (darn tough socks are hard to beat) and a pair of gators. With this I can handle fairly cold weather and fairly wet weather. I try to remove layers when on the move to hopefully control how much I sweat. Good luck and happy hunting.

I wear the same outer clothes for 4 th rifle in CO that I wear for archery season. Prana convertible pants worn and torn and patched with some old cabelas guide pant material and a Kuiu light fleece top, I think 240 something or other. My base layer bottoms is still the silk weight Army extreme weather system they issued me in 2008-2010. My top base layer is near the same weight material but camo, I think it's the browning xkg something or other 1/4 zip top.

Before sunrise if I'm on the move to my objective point and it's cold, I'll have the army's heavy weight grid ecws top as a mid layer. I'll shed my hat and gloves and do whatever it takes to keep from sweating. Once I reach my point usually just before sunrise, I slow down to cool down. At my set up point I'll pull my down puffy, down pants, and rain gear out of my frame pack and layer up for the sunrise set up. That's as cold as it will get at that point so rarely below negative teens.

The best part is that if I harvest I can be packing meat in shorts in no time, so I cover all my bases like any backpack hunter would.

486E7480-867A-44FB-B878-3DBDFB7AE2D7.jpeg

My clothes weren't very durable and could have been warmer and more layer able just wondering what you guys are using thanks!
i often wear the military ECWCS III.......Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System Gen III. Designed in multiple layers including waterproof/windproof. Purchase NIB on line from multiple sources...even EBAY. Very good performance, tough as nails, and cost effective.

i often wear the military ECWCS III.......Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System Gen III. Designed in multiple layers including waterproof/windproof. Purchase NIB on line from multiple sources...even EBAY. Very good performance, tough as nails, and cost effective.
huh thanks never even thought of that

I wear a lot of layers of kuiu now,but have a large mix from stand hunt,horse hunt,hiking.Wore out a few sets of KOM bunlites,one my favorite for comfort,wore bowman a ton.Shot lots of game with heavy woolrich shirt on.Wool doesnt shed the snow well though and heavy.So layered now with a puffy in pack,hike out n glass bring zip on down pants.

Attachments

• IMG_1272.JPG
    IMG_1272.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
My clothes weren't very durable and could have been warmer and more layer able just wondering what you guys are using thanks!
Where you in the ridge reaper Sub Alpine? Primaloft filled. I can't hardly where mine. I perculate in them. If I sit I'm fine. But any hiking and I'm drenched..