What cartridge?

7 mag, Rem 700's 26", 175g Nosler long range accubonds using R#26, Rem brass, Fed 215's, muzzle break, Boyd's laminate stock, upgrade the trigger. Sit back and be amazed in the accuracy, simply amazing at 3030 fps. If you can find a like new LSS model that is near new, you have hit the jack pot!

It doubles the cost of a good barrel. It doubles to qudruples the bbl life. Do the math.

I did the math and skeptical with the unwarranted claim of 4x of barrel life as I have not seen any empirical evidence. Besides, I have plenty of rifles to shoot and never wanted to get stuck with the same barrel. Too many excellent barrels to try.

To see evidence, first you need to look. Found in 30 seconds:

I did, and one of them is actually the link you provided but it does NOT make it empirical. Looking and researching for empirical evidence is NOT the same. Wikipedia and forums are NOT sources of empirical documents (peer-reviewed).

@Matchbook454, my sincere apologies, it is not my intention to help derail your thread.

Last edited:
I did, and one of them is actually the link you provided but it does NOT make it empirical. Looking and researching for empirical evidence is NOT the same. Wikipedia and forums are NOT sources of empirical documents (peer-reviewed).

@Matchbook454, my sincere apologies, it is not my intention to help derail your thread.
No problem man. All good. Good stuff for me to research on my own.

It doubles the cost of a good barrel. It doubles to qudruples the bbl life. Do the math.
I have run 2 nitrided barrels, each set up on two SwitchLug actions, and compared them against two non- nitrided.

One was a 6.5 Sherman, the other a 7STW. All four barrels were Bartlein 3Bs.
I checked the throat erosion every 100 rds fired and switched barrels. Used the Wheeler method and same bullets to verify lands movement.

It was not a scientific test, but I was trying to get info on whether it was worth the extra money.

Both nitrided barrels had a slight advantage at 400 rounds on both rifles. I have not shot the STW except for hunting, so I removed it from testing.

At 700 rds on the 6.5 Sherman, the non- nitrided barrel showed noticeable less erosion than the nitrided barrel.
The nitrided barrel showed more fire cracking. I ended the testing at that point and only use the nitrided for fire forming. 980 rds on the non-nitrided 6.5 Sherman and I'm still shooting it, just a bit longer to clean it.

I will not nitride another barrel as it was not worth it in the long run, but I do prefer nitrided actions.

Sorry for bumping the OP's thread.

I am a big believer in the KISS theory. 7mm RM is a tried and true cartridge since it's introduction in 1962. It is suitable for any and all game animals in North America. Ammo is available anywhere (just in case you forget loaded ammo Senior Moment). Barrel life depends, you can expect 2000-3000+ depending on how you use the horse power?

If you don't want to deal with belted magnum, then 280 AI is 100fps behind 7mm RM. Like 7mm RM factory ammo is available but not as plentiful as the old reliable 7mm RM. If I didn't already have two 7mm RM I would have an 280AI.

If you need to have the fastest overbore out there 7mm RUM and change the barrel every 700-1000 rounds down the pipe! Since 1962 everyone has been trying to dethrone the King 7mm RM!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.