What cartridge?

MB sent you a msg on yr Lee die ????
My .30-06 is a Remington 7400. Not really a long range rifle and maybe shoots 1 moa.
You might think of barreling your new rifle in 30-06 Ackley Improved with a 24 or 26 inch barrel. With a 1 in 9 inch twist, it would stabilize a 225 grain or maybe a 240 grain bullet and get around 2550 fps, and that would be able to shoot well past 1,000 yards. Anything that's going to take elk with consistency at 700 to 800 yards is going to have some recoil, but a 26" heavy sporter barrel in 30-06 Ackley Improved will soak up a lot of that while still delivering a heavy for caliber bullet with enough penetration to kill elk. The 200 grain Speer or Sierra would also be excellent for this, and you could probably get upwards of 2750fps from the round. Personally, I've shot my 35 Whelen with 225 grain Sierras at 1,000 yards and its supersonic past 1,000 yards at 8,000 feet where we generally hunt elk.

I'm torn between what cartridge to chamber a custom rifle in. This will be a hunting rifle and primarily for Whitetails, Black Bear, Mule Deer and Antelope, with the intent of doing a few Elk hunts. This must be able to accurately shoot past 1000 yards though. I realize there are a lot of cartridges that fit this bill and can effectively take down any of the above animals. However, I'd rather not shoot a 300 wm or other hammer if I don't need to. I'd also rather restrict my distance on Elk to 700-800 yards as well as I do t plant on doing a whole lot of Elk hunting. Accuracy (easier to tune and load), barrel life, etc. are of high importance here. Unfortunately I do not have much experience with most long range calibers/cartridges and mostly shoot .30-06, .308, .270. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor which I shoot to 1000 yards but would not shoot any of the above other than possible Antelope at that range (would have to research that even). So I am looking for recommendations from you guys. I have considered 300 PRC, 28 Nosler, 7mm WSM, etc.. I think the .277-.284 caliber cartridges probably fit the bill but don't hear too much about the .277's anymore. And the 28 Nosler sounds like it has horrible barrel life.
Have you considered 7mm STW? It shoots great and has a wide range of bullet weights and plenty of knock down power

I'm torn between what cartridge to chamber a custom rifle in. This will be a hunting rifle and primarily for Whitetails, Black Bear, Mule Deer and Antelope, with the intent of doing a few Elk hunts. This must be able to accurately shoot past 1000 yards though. I realize there are a lot of cartridges that fit this bill and can effectively take down any of the above animals. However, I'd rather not shoot a 300 wm or other hammer if I don't need to. I'd also rather restrict my distance on Elk to 700-800 yards as well as I do t plant on doing a whole lot of Elk hunting. Accuracy (easier to tune and load), barrel life, etc. are of high importance here. Unfortunately I do not have much experience with most long range calibers/cartridges and mostly shoot .30-06, .308, .270. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor which I shoot to 1000 yards but would not shoot any of the above other than possible Antelope at that range (would have to research that even). So I am looking for recommendations from you guys. I have considered 300 PRC, 28 Nosler, 7mm WSM, etc.. I think the .277-.284 caliber cartridges probably fit the bill but don't hear too much about the .277's anymore. And the 28 Nosler sounds like it has horrible barrel life.
Offered for your Examination:

The Remington 7mm Magnum in all it's resplendent glory .
It is a cartridge that should not be overlooked,( my findings ) preferring a slower burning powder such a Hodgdon' s H4831.
Pair this with a Horandy 162 Grain SST (BC 550) and you have a accurate bullet capable of reaching 1000 yards. , with the cooperation of the wind and other elements, myself included.
MV chrono graphed at 2798 FPS. ( average 3 shot reading. ) For optimal results I suggest load development using Satterlee Ladder test and OCW load test along side your trusty chronograph in order to find your best shooting node.

A combination of powder and bullet using Starline Brass and Federal GM210M. plus the component's already listed has worked well for me and is a proven harvester of game.

Considerations:
You will have a cartridge that for a magnum caliber has several big adages.
1) Very manageable recoil.
2) By using a muzzle brake you will have faster second strike capabilities
3) Extended barrel life again for a magnum cartridge.
4) Less chamber and throat erosion compared to other calibers. yielding longer barrel life.
5) More than adequate supply of reloading components available.
6) .284 Diameter Bullets can be had in a variety of configurations and weights from many different manufacturers.
7) The proven ability to reach out and touch something any time or any place.

Additionally the Barnes 168 grain LRX BT (BC 550) bullet using the same Hodgdon's H4831 powder will yield a slightly slower MV which will average at just under 2800 FPS and is another (for me ) proven load.
The Berger 168 Grain VLD Hunting bullet (BC.618) is another great choice for your choice as a hunting performance bullet.
With a very high BC of .618 G1, and a wonderful track record again using Hodgdon's H 4831 your MV will be hovering close to the 2800FPS mark.
(All of the above can be loaded to reach a MV in excess of 2850FPS but please work slowly and gradually up to this watching all the typical overpressure signs! )

Conclusions:
I offer my thoughts for you to ponder upon.
I hope that they help in some small way !

Last edited:
Offered for your Examination:

The Remington 7mm Magnum in all it's resplendent glory .
It is a cartridge that should not be overlooked,( my findings ) preferring a slower burning powder such a Hodgdon' s H4831.
Pair this with a Horandy 162 Grain SST (BC 550) and you have a accurate bullet capable of reaching 1000 yards. , with the cooperation of the wind and other elements, myself included.
MV chrono graphed at 2798 FPS. ( average 3 shot reading. ) For optimal results I suggest load development using Satterlee Ladder test and OCW load test along side your trusty chronograph in order to find your best shooting node.

A combination of powder and bullet using Starline Brass and Federal GM210M. plus the component's already listed has worked well for me and is a proven harvester of game.

Considerations:
You will have a cartridge that for a magnum caliber has several big adages.
1) Very manageable recoil.
2) By using a muzzle brake you will have faster second strike capabilities
3) Extended barrel life again for a magnum cartridge.
4) Less chamber and throat erosion compared to other calibers. yielding longer barrel life.
5) More than adequate supply of reloading components available.
6) .284 Diameter Bullets can be had in a variety of configurations and weights from many different manufacturers.
7) The proven ability to reach out and touch something any time or any place.

Additionally the Barnes 168 grain LRX BT (BC 550) bullet using the same Hodgdon's H4831 powder will yield a slightly slower MV which will average at just under 2800 FPS and is another (for me ) proven load.
The Berger 168 Grain VLD Hunting bullet (BC.618) is another great choice for your choice as a hunting performance bullet.
With a very high BC of .618 G1, and a wonderful track record again using Hodgdon's H 4831 your MV will be hovering close to the 2800FPS mark.
(All of the above can be loaded to reach a MV in excess of 2850FPS but please work slowly and gradually up to this watching all the typical overpressure signs! )

Conclusions:
I offer my thoughts for you to ponder upon.
I hope that they help in some small way !
Thanks for the detailed response. I am now considering this cartridge as well. I am still undecided on the 7SS but really like what I have found on it. I have read a lot of people prefer the 7SAUM in a long action. If I am going LA, why not jump to 7mm RM? I will do a little more research on that and compare it to the 7 SAUM. Curious as to how they compare with barrel life, etc.. Was hoping for a little more velocity too 2900-3000.

Thanks for the detailed response. I am now considering this cartridge as well. I am still undecided on the 7SS but really like what I have found on it. I have read a lot of people prefer the 7SAUM in a long action. If I am going LA, why not jump to 7mm RM? I will do a little more research on that and compare it to the 7 SAUM. Curious as to how they compare with barrel life, etc.. Was hoping for a little more velocity too 2900-3000.
IMHO you will be sacrificing barrel erosion which equates to barrel life in return for an increase in muzzle velocity .
Think about that statement.

Are you really prepared to replace a shot out barrel after only say 900 rounds downrange ?

That is akin to giving a reputable barrel maker an additional $ 500.00 - $1,000.00 every 6 months or so depending on how much you shoot and what type of barrel you are using ( carbon fiber , 416 SS or moly chrome, cut chamber or prefit ,fluted barrel, contoured barrel , blued barrel , threaded muzzle , etc. etc.)
If your primary use is for hunting then disregard the above however if shoot the same weapon frequently well then the above may apply.

I myself prefer a blended mix of accuracy and velocity and as such do not load for maximum velocity but rather using my chronograph to make a determination of data obtained beforehand , concentrating on my best and most accurate SD, & ES numbers during load development.

Additionally using the Satterlee Ladder Chart and OCW charts as mentioned before hand.
In this prescribed manner I know that I am literally in my groove come hunting seasons.
OBTW residing in South Western Florida I do throw a lot of lead down range, all year long and not just as a recreational shooter during seasons.
It is because of this that I've made my comments, which may not understandably coincide with yours.

I sincerely hope that you will consider the validity which is contained within my texts !

Thank You Again for taking the time to read my words !

Last edited:
Performance has its drawbacks, but why would you downplay a 7 mag to .280 velocities? That extra 200 fps has its advantages...especially at long range. I would not call a 7 Rem Mag a barrel burner.

Performance has its drawbacks, but why would you downplay a 7 mag to .280 velocities? That extra 200 fps has its advantages...especially at long range. I would not call a 7 Rem Mag a barrel burner.
Any firearm can become a barrel burner if loaded to max or over max recepies.
It has been documented that the 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge when loaded to maximum or near maximum capacities can literally erode barrel chamber throats .
However not as bad as some of the other magnums when loaded the same way. ( to max or near max capacity)
Bullet neck tension and seating depth as well brass shoulder and case belt thickness and the condition of the cases themselves to a varying degree also create pressure and at 50,000 - 60,000 PSI which may result in throat erosion. (typically more so on the upper end of these figures)
These facts I'm certain you are already aware of.
In that light I am simply stating that in order to optimize your barrels chamber as well as throat life, I would not and have not needlessly subjected my firearms to any undue increase of pressure for the sole purpose of an increase in Muzzle Velocity alone !

To that end I have found a blended load which I explained above to use safely and comfortably in order achieve a more enjoyable as well as satisfying shooting experience.
In doing so I also strive to achieve my chronographed lowest ES, and SDs possible.

However there are always exceptions.
If you were developing a load to use for extreme long distance hunting / shooting where you need that extra 200 - 300 FPS of Muzzle Velocity well then finalize your load development and proceed accordingly.
Make certain to document your dope on these rounds and package it respectively along with these cartridge's , or perhaps on your rifles but stock in order to differentiate between loads
I would mark theses loaded rounds and only use them if conditions mandate and not as a go to every day round.
For the above reasons I would concur in your gaining as much muzzle velocity as you safely can achieve.

Now you have the best of both worlds.!

Last edited:
I played this game a few years ago, wanting a long range rifle for elk, deer, and antelope. I've put in for tags for Oregon, east of the Cascades, and never drawn one. Otherwise I'm hunting coastal range, and all elk and deer have been <100 yards.
So I built a rifle and gave my 7mm Rem Mag to a friend.
I based the build on the 7mm Long Range Magnum by Gunwerks, 1:8 26" McGowen barrel. It only punches paper thus far. Looking at my chrony data, it will launch a 175gr SMK at 2980 using 74.3gr Retumbo. It balances very nicely, and at 12# with glass, it's too heavy for a stalking rifle. With a brake, it recoils like a 6.5 Swede.
The point of my post is the cartridge selection and brass. I purchased 50 pieces and dies from Gunwerks, and then custom made another 70 from 375 Ruger brass. My 375 Ruger brass performs better (a bunch of split necks on the Gunwerks brass already), and the Hornady Custom Dies suck arse. In the long run, I'd definitely have more money, and probably have been better off with a Tikka in 7 mag, but such are the cons of pursuing wildcats.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.