What cartridge?

I totally agree with you. Not sure if you've read any of the wound research Nathan Foster has done, but he has done extensive tests with almost every major brand name bullet in just about every cartridge imaginable. The one thing statement I kept coming across many times was Nathan stating that in larger game (like elk, red stag, moose, etc) a 30 cal or larger bullet creates a larger wound channel and kills more quickly and effectively than 7mm or less bullets. He shoots tons of boar and feral goats (as well as stag) at long distances to test out the capabilities of each bullet in a specific caliber. His data is very extensive and gives you maximum effective ranges and velocities for said bullet. Just like picking a proper cartridge for which ever animal you're going to hunt, an appropriate bullet is needed and it's limitations also need to be understood. Only when you marry all of those together will you get the best possible killing machine that you take out into the wild. Shot placement always trumps everything, but having all the other components in your favor give you the best possible outcome.
I agree with a .30 or larger being a better choice for elk, moose, etc.. However although I do plan to hunt elk, it would be a 2 or 3 time thing most likely. If I happen to be able to do that more often then I would definitely look to getting a 300wm or 300 PRC. But when I am primarily planning on hunting Deer and Antelope, as well as shoot paper and steel, I'd rather not go .30 cal.

I agree with a .30 or larger being a better choice for elk, moose, etc.. However although I do plan to hunt elk, it would be a 2 or 3 time thing most likely. If I happen to be able to do that more often then I would definitely look to getting a 300wm or 300 PRC. But when I am primarily planning on hunting Deer and Antelope, as well as shoot paper and steel, I'd rather not go .30 cal.

If you use a .264--.277--.284 on deer, all excellent, then I would recommend .338 for your elk.

I would most likely be hunting Elk in WY or CO and definitely with an outfitter. At least the first couple of times. If I am able to do it more often I'd definitely get a another rifle primarily for elk then. As far as being physically fit I'm probably average however I had to have some foot surgeries a few years ago and now have screws and a plate in my foot. I can get around ok but am not in shape to be climbing mountains. Maybe with a good deal of prep work, but not as I am now. Before my survives I would have loved climbing mountains, hunting rugged terrain, etc..

That's good info.
If you get a good outfitter you will not need a long range rifle as most Elk in those states are killed under 300 yards by guided hunters.
Any "off the shelf" 30-06, 7 Mag or 300 magnum will kill any Elk that lives.
Many Elk are killed by bowhunters sooooo ---
What you need to do is: Get in the best shape you can and spend a lot of time behind your rifle shooting from real world field positions at targets of unknown yardage. Some horseback training also is good.
I would suggest WY as I've hunted there for 20 years and it's not overrun with "orange pelts" like CO where I used to hunt.
I'll PM you a class A outfitter who has a fantastic record.

Then pick a 7 mm that will make you happy. My 7 STW is just an incredible cartridge. All my antelope and mule deer have been taken with it. 400 yards is a chip shot with it. Just built a lightweight 280 AI that is ballistically very close to the 7 Rem Mag. My dedicated elk rifle is a lightweight 300 WSM that has been a hammer on them. Honesty, you can't have enough rifles, so when you start elk hunting more you'll gladly add another to your safe.

Then pick a 7 mm that will make you happy. My 7 STW is just an incredible cartridge. All my antelope and mule deer have been taken with it. 400 yards is a chip shot with it. Just built a lightweight 280 AI that is ballistically very close to the 7 Rem Mag. My dedicated elk rifle is a lightweight 300 WSM that has been a hammer on them. Honesty, you can't have enough rifles, so when you start elk hunting more you'll gladly add another to your safe.
That's what I'm thinking. Pretty set on the 7ss. I've contacted 2 gunsmiths and will see what they say. May just get a barreled action and put together myself. Not sure yet. Need to do more research on bedding a stock.

That's what I'm thinking. Pretty set on the 7ss. I've contacted 2 gunsmiths and will see what they say. May just get a barreled action and put together myself. Not sure yet. Need to do more research on bedding a stock.
Good choice. The Sherman cartridges are impressive. Now that you can get headstamped brass and dies, it's much easier and kind of a no brainer. When I need to replace the barrel on my 6.5-284, I'll probably switch to a 6.5 Sherman.

I'm torn between what cartridge to chamber a custom rifle in. This will be a hunting rifle and primarily for Whitetails, Black Bear, Mule Deer and Antelope, with the intent of doing a few Elk hunts. This must be able to accurately shoot past 1000 yards though. I realize there are a lot of cartridges that fit this bill and can effectively take down any of the above animals. However, I'd rather not shoot a 300 wm or other hammer if I don't need to. I'd also rather restrict my distance on Elk to 700-800 yards as well as I do t plant on doing a whole lot of Elk hunting. Accuracy (easier to tune and load), barrel life, etc. are of high importance here. Unfortunately I do not have much experience with most long range calibers/cartridges and mostly shoot .30-06, .308, .270. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor which I shoot to 1000 yards but would not shoot any of the above other than possible Antelope at that range (would have to research that even). So I am looking for recommendations from you guys. I have considered 300 PRC, 28 Nosler, 7mm WSM, etc.. I think the .277-.284 caliber cartridges probably fit the bill but don't hear too much about the .277's anymore. And the 28 Nosler sounds like it has horrible barrel life.
How accurate is the -06? If you have a 24 to 26 inch barrel on the -06, and work up a load for the Sierra 200 grain game king, you can get up to 2700+ out of it, and it will do the job on elk at 700 yards. It will also stay supersonic out to around 1100 to 1200 yards at 2650fps or so. There are two or three powders which will give you 2650fps or more in the -06 with the 200 grain Sierra or Speer, and I've chronographed the Sierra at 2600+ in my 22in barreled Ruger, with a MV of 2650 or so in my 24 inch barreled 03A3. Recoil isn't bad with this load, but it is more noticeable than with 180 grain Sierra or Speer bullets. But the -06 will easily reach out past 1100 yards with any 180 grain boat tail bullet. It will also take any of the animals you've named at pretty much any distance under 800 yards. I'd use the 200 grain bullet for elk and bear, though. If you want more, go to the Ackley Improved 30-06 with a 24 to 26 inch barrel and add around 150fps to the load.

I agree with the other people on the 7mm mag, i use the 160gr Accubonds. But to pull out more yards it might be a good place to look at the 168gr Berger for a little more b.c.

Although I do not own neither a 6.5 PRC or 7RM, from what your criteria is, I believe either one would serve your purpose very well. Personally I would lean more towards the 6.5 PRC, but again, that's my personal preference. Good luck with whatever you choose.

How accurate is the -06? If you have a 24 to 26 inch barrel on the -06, and work up a load for the Sierra 200 grain game king, you can get up to 2700+ out of it, and it will do the job on elk at 700 yards. It will also stay supersonic out to around 1100 to 1200 yards at 2650fps or so. There are two or three powders which will give you 2650fps or more in the -06 with the 200 grain Sierra or Speer, and I've chronographed the Sierra at 2600+ in my 22in barreled Ruger, with a MV of 2650 or so in my 24 inch barreled 03A3. Recoil isn't bad with this load, but it is more noticeable than with 180 grain Sierra or Speer bullets. But the -06 will easily reach out past 1100 yards with any 180 grain boat tail bullet. It will also take any of the animals you've named at pretty much any distance under 800 yards. I'd use the 200 grain bullet for elk and bear, though. If you want more, go to the Ackley Improved 30-06 with a 24 to 26 inch barrel and add around 150fps to the load.
My .30-06 is a Remington 7400. Not really a long range rifle and maybe shoots 1 moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.