What cartridge?

I'm torn between what cartridge to chamber a custom rifle in. This will be a hunting rifle and primarily for Whitetails, Black Bear, Mule Deer and Antelope, with the intent of doing a few Elk hunts. This must be able to accurately shoot past 1000 yards though. I realize there are a lot of cartridges that fit this bill and can effectively take down any of the above animals. However, I'd rather not shoot a 300 wm or other hammer if I don't need to. I'd also rather restrict my distance on Elk to 700-800 yards as well as I do t plant on doing a whole lot of Elk hunting. Accuracy (easier to tune and load), barrel life, etc. are of high importance here. Unfortunately I do not have much experience with most long range calibers/cartridges and mostly shoot .30-06, .308, .270. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor which I shoot to 1000 yards but would not shoot any of the above other than possible Antelope at that range (would have to research that even). So I am looking for recommendations from you guys. I have considered 300 PRC, 28 Nosler, 7mm WSM, etc.. I think the .277-.284 caliber cartridges probably fit the bill but don't hear too much about the .277's anymore. And the 28 Nosler sounds like it has horrible barrel life.

I believe in the right cartridge for the game that I am hunting, so not a "one-gun", "one-cartridge" person. I have a .270 Ackley Improved for deer hunting, and a 30-06 I take along as a back-up rifle for deer hunting, a .358 Winchester and a 35 Whelen for black bear, and.....a 45-70 for black bear hunting or for snow and/or close up cover deer hunting. So....... I am not sure if you reload? From your OP it appears that the 30-06 ought to meet all of your hunting needs. For a different, long range cartridge I don't think that you could do better then the .280 Ackley Improved, or......the old time favorite the 7mm RemMag. The 7mm RemMag is easy to reload for, easy in the recoil department and has a large assortment of ammunition that can be bough off of he shelf just about anywhere that cartridges are sold. I'd like to suggest that not matter what your decision, you might want to check the price of "off the shelf" ammunition for some of these new barrel burners; like $70-80 a box "if" you can find it. Good luck with your build.

What is the full name of the JBM cell phone app mentioned above? With those initials I can't fine anything on my I phone.
Here you go.
JBM Ballistics has partnered with RIANOV to provide integrated ballistics solutions.
Not sure if there is anything special needed to find it in the App Store.

Pick a caliber that shoots at least 1800 fps & 1200# of energy apon impact. If your talking 1000 yards plus it's in the magnums. If you limit your max range to 500 yards lots of options and you mentioned 3 calibers you already own. There is no magic caliber. Just sound shooting and good hunting bullets.

Consider the .270WSM with 26-28" 8t barrel. Good for the 170gn Berger EOL or the new 165gn ABLR.
I nearly got one because the cartridge looks like a giant slayer. This was when it first came out and there were no heavy for caliber bullets then. The bullets you mentioned would make the 270 WSM punch way above its weight class!

I nearly got one because the cartridge looks like a giant slayer. This was when it first came out and there were no heavy for caliber bullets then. The bullets you mentioned would make the 270 WSM punch way above its weight class!

Interesting I've never been a big fan just seemed that 6.5's and 7's had better offerings/bc and it was in the no mans land. I talked to a custom builder several years ago before the market blew up on cost, same gun now is double in price. They were pushing the 270wsm. I have since picked up a 270wby only to really like it and purchase a couple more. They were all unique ruger #1, euromark who needs just one right?

Anyway I think the 270's offer allot and have since changed my narrow minded way of thinking. I'm a wby lover though so the wsm isn't on the radar just found it interesting that a custom gun maker was high on it which should tell the average joe (me) something. The right build and reloading capabilities these days there are allot of good options.

Pick a caliber that shoots at least 1800 fps & 1200# of energy apon impact. If your talking 1000 yards plus it's in the magnums. If you limit your max range to 500 yards lots of options and you mentioned 3 calibers you already own. There is no magic caliber. Just sound shooting and good hunting bullets.

The only "energy" that I concern myself with is the energy I need to get up and down the mountains...:)

I won't say the 6.5PRC won't work, but look at the 300 where most people shoot elk, even most people on this site. At 400-500 yards the 300 will stomp the guts out of the 6.5 anything, and it is visibly noticeable. There is a reason they have weight divisions for fighters, and reasons why the 6.5 PRC and 300 Win mag comparison is just numbers on paper. And actually if you put those energy numbers into percentages it is really not as close as Hornady is trying to convince you it is. One analysis of that chart might be to just say the 6.5 PRC still functions at 800, but not nearly as well as the 300 Winchester magnum.
I totally agree with you. Not sure if you've read any of the wound research Nathan Foster has done, but he has done extensive tests with almost every major brand name bullet in just about every cartridge imaginable. The one thing statement I kept coming across many times was Nathan stating that in larger game (like elk, red stag, moose, etc) a 30 cal or larger bullet creates a larger wound channel and kills more quickly and effectively than 7mm or less bullets. He shoots tons of boar and feral goats (as well as stag) at long distances to test out the capabilities of each bullet in a specific caliber. His data is very extensive and gives you maximum effective ranges and velocities for said bullet. Just like picking a proper cartridge for which ever animal you're going to hunt, an appropriate bullet is needed and it's limitations also need to be understood. Only when you marry all of those together will you get the best possible killing machine that you take out into the wild. Shot placement always trumps everything, but having all the other components in your favor give you the best possible outcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts