What cartridge?

Do you think the 6.5 PRC is an effective round for elk out to 800 yards give or take?

I think this will answer your question Check the numbers out on the 6.5 PRC vs. 300 Win Mag. Flatter shooting and still has great energy on target at 800 yards.

6.5 PRC vs. 300 WinMag down range ballistics.PNG

Shoot Straight!

StraightShooter77
www.StraightJacketArmory.com
307 707-3181 Ext 1

I won't say the 6.5PRC won't work, but look at the 300 where most people shoot elk, even most people on this site. At 400-500 yards the 300 will stomp the guts out of the 6.5 anything, and it is visibly noticeable. There is a reason they have weight divisions for fighters, and reasons why the 6.5 PRC and 300 Win mag comparison is just numbers on paper. And actually if you put those energy numbers into percentages it is really not as close as Hornady is trying to convince you it is. One analysis of that chart might be to just say the 6.5 PRC still functions at 800, but not nearly as well as the 300 Winchester magnum.

I own a 28 Nosler and 7 mm Rem Mag, I like both and for Barrel life the 28 will get you around 700 - 900 before changing. If it was me, I would pick the 7mm Rem Mag or maybe the 6.5 PRC, the 300 PRC is going to kick you like a mule unless you put a break on it, same as the 28, but with a break it kicks less than a 7mm Rem Mag.
I personally like the 7mm Rem. Mag. If recoil is an issue, add a break. Best of both worlds. I think all (or most) of these "New" calibers are attempts to "Reinvent the Wheel" If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Just my opinion and we know what that's like don't we?!

I think the 7mm SAUM is a fine round. I killed a nice bull @ 300 yds with 168 gr berger. Performance was perfect and did not go 20 yds. When I shot the barrel out, I am having it rechambered for 7mm Sherman Short. A true short action, slightly out performs the SAUM but most importantly it gets the bullet seated further out of the case so you can take advantage of the longer higher be 180 and 195gr bullets. My rifle is being built by the guys @ Straight Jacket Armory. I could only get 2960 FPS out of my SAUM with the 168 Berger's due to the bullet taking up case capacity.

The Sherman Short uses SAUM brass and there are several good options for brass. One draw back is, if you don't by formed brass, you have to fireform. I have 300 rounds of SAUM so it's a no brainer.

Take a look here: https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/about-ss-cartridges

I have a .270 and a 300 win mag for my long distance guns .vi wanted a new gun I went with the 28 nosler yes the barrel will be good for 700 to 900 rounds . Shoot 10 to 15 rounds before season starts maybe 5 during the season so it will last me 25 years by then I'll have a new toy to play with so it will last me till I'm to old to hunt .

Everything depends on the bullets that you intend to use and the twist that is necessary.

the reason the you don't hear much of the 270 these days is that factory rifles tend to come in 10" barrel twists. That allows the 270 Win to function like a magnum cartridge with normal bullets out to about 500 yards, which covers 99% of hunting. However, for the special high BC bullets a person needs a 270 in an 8" twist or even a 7" twist, if they want to use the Hammer Hunter 168gn .277".

So if you really want "lighter recoil" in a handy platform, consider a 270 Win with a 7in barrel twist. You may be the only one on the block with one. Everything else will require both heavier rifles and stronger recoil. The 300 PRC would make a great build, but it would go beyond the 300WM, a caliber that you already said that you would prefer to avoid. The 300PRC is basically a 300 Weatherby in an 06-length action and case with a Weatherby capacity.

Those would be my recommendations:
either a 270Win with a 7" twist,
or a 300 PRC in an 8"twist.
Both will get the job done.

Those would be my recommendations:
either a 270Win with a 7" twist,
or a 300 PRC in an 8"twist.
Both will get the job done.

PS: If you really wanted to shoot an elk at 800 yards or mule deer or antelope at 1000, then a GREAT choice would be the 338 Lapua. Great brass is available from Lapua, too. All sorts of high BC bullets. Just remember to get an 8" twist barrel and use a magnum-length magazine to handle the very long bullets. The rifle will do well on antelope, too. Big is always better IF the rifle and shooter are ACCURATE. Back in 2015 I shot a nice impala with a 416 Rigby handloaded to 2825 with 350gn TTSX. Accurate and deadly.
Sighting in, 2 shooters at 100 yards off a hood/bonnet, my son and I. Ready to hunt:
KgQ8aqV.jpg

Impala, taken as it stepped across a break following a herd:
J3sh5pg.jpg

Little 35lb. oribi taken at 202 yards with a 416. Exit hole is in the picture:
7Gvwu0N.jpg

Son with guinea fowl, yes 416 and good tasting:
A2cpa9H.jpg

Bottom line:
Big works great if you shoot it like you would shoot a 270.
So maybe consider the 338 Lapua, or really enjoy a 270win in 7"twist, or BOTH.

I'm torn between what cartridge to chamber a custom rifle in. This will be a hunting rifle and primarily for Whitetails, Black Bear, Mule Deer and Antelope, with the intent of doing a few Elk hunts. This must be able to accurately shoot past 1000 yards though. I realize there are a lot of cartridges that fit this bill and can effectively take down any of the above animals. However, I'd rather not shoot a 300 wm or other hammer if I don't need to. I'd also rather restrict my distance on Elk to 700-800 yards as well as I do t plant on doing a whole lot of Elk hunting. Accuracy (easier to tune and load), barrel life, etc. are of high importance here. Unfortunately I do not have much experience with most long range calibers/cartridges and mostly shoot .30-06, .308, .270. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor which I shoot to 1000 yards but would not shoot any of the above other than possible Antelope at that range (would have to research that even). So I am looking for recommendations from you guys. I have considered 300 PRC, 28 Nosler, 7mm WSM, etc.. I think the .277-.284 caliber cartridges probably fit the bill but don't hear too much about the .277's anymore. And the 28 Nosler sounds like it has horrible barrel life.
284 Win. Great barrel life tons of bullets to choose from. Build it on a med to long action.

I'm torn between what cartridge to chamber a custom rifle in. This will be a hunting rifle and primarily for Whitetails, Black Bear, Mule Deer and Antelope, with the intent of doing a few Elk hunts. This must be able to accurately shoot past 1000 yards though. I realize there are a lot of cartridges that fit this bill and can effectively take down any of the above animals. However, I'd rather not shoot a 300 wm or other hammer if I don't need to. I'd also rather restrict my distance on Elk to 700-800 yards as well as I do t plant on doing a whole lot of Elk hunting. Accuracy (easier to tune and load), barrel life, etc. are of high importance here. Unfortunately I do not have much experience with most long range calibers/cartridges and mostly shoot .30-06, .308, .270. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor which I shoot to 1000 yards but would not shoot any of the above other than possible Antelope at that range (would have to research that even). So I am looking for recommendations from you guys. I have considered 300 PRC, 28 Nosler, 7mm WSM, etc.. I think the .277-.284 caliber cartridges probably fit the bill but don't hear too much about the .277's anymore. And the 28 Nosler sounds like it has horrible barrel life.

i have had excellent results with:
6.5 SAUM
300 WM
28 Nosler shooting 180-195Gr Bullets

Ballistically my 28 blows the other two away past 1000. It is a devastatingly effective cartridge.

I would look at 300 PRC shooting 215 or 230 Gr bullets also.

So, I have gotten a lot of recommendations which was what I wanted. I am looking into 280AI, 7SAUM, 7SS, 7 Max, 280 Sherman. These seem to be very much along the lines of what I am looking for. To those who think I'm asking "what cartridge is best" and will pick from someone's recommendation , you're wrong. Unfortunately I do not have any close friends who hunt long range and the few that shoot long range mostly shoot PRS and are shooting 6mm or 6.5mm rifles. Not what I'm looking for here. I doubt most know anything of 7ss, 7 max, etc. as I had not known much about them until now. My selection has expanded from 7wsm, 7rm, 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC, 28 Nosler, etc. This exactly what I hoped for. Thank you to those that helped and offered their advice!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.