What cartridge?

Matchbook454

I'm torn between what cartridge to chamber a custom rifle in. This will be a hunting rifle and primarily for Whitetails, Black Bear, Mule Deer and Antelope, with the intent of doing a few Elk hunts. This must be able to accurately shoot past 1000 yards though. I realize there are a lot of cartridges that fit this bill and can effectively take down any of the above animals. However, I'd rather not shoot a 300 wm or other hammer if I don't need to. I'd also rather restrict my distance on Elk to 700-800 yards as well as I do t plant on doing a whole lot of Elk hunting. Accuracy (easier to tune and load), barrel life, etc. are of high importance here. Unfortunately I do not have much experience with most long range calibers/cartridges and mostly shoot .30-06, .308, .270. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor which I shoot to 1000 yards but would not shoot any of the above other than possible Antelope at that range (would have to research that even). So I am looking for recommendations from you guys. I have considered 300 PRC, 28 Nosler, 7mm WSM, etc.. I think the .277-.284 caliber cartridges probably fit the bill but don't hear too much about the .277's anymore. And the 28 Nosler sounds like it has horrible barrel life.

I own a 28 Nosler and 7 mm Rem Mag, I like both and for Barrel life the 28 will get you around 700 - 900 before changing. If it was me, I would pick the 7mm Rem Mag or maybe the 6.5 PRC, the 300 PRC is going to kick you like a mule unless you put a break on it, same as the 28, but with a break it kicks less than a 7mm Rem Mag.

I'm torn between what cartridge to chamber a custom rifle in. This will be a hunting rifle and primarily for Whitetails, Black Bear, Mule Deer and Antelope, with the intent of doing a few Elk hunts. This must be able to accurately shoot past 1000 yards though. I realize there are a lot of cartridges that fit this bill and can effectively take down any of the above animals. However, I'd rather not shoot a 300 wm or other hammer if I don't need to. I'd also rather restrict my distance on Elk to 700-800 yards as well as I do t plant on doing a whole lot of Elk hunting. Accuracy (easier to tune and load), barrel life, etc. are of high importance here. Unfortunately I do not have much experience with most long range calibers/cartridges and mostly shoot .30-06, .308, .270. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor which I shoot to 1000 yards but would not shoot any of the above other than possible Antelope at that range (would have to research that even). So I am looking for recommendations from you guys. I have considered 300 PRC, 28 Nosler, 7mm WSM, etc.. I think the .277-.284 caliber cartridges probably fit the bill but don't hear too much about the .277's anymore. And the 28 Nosler sounds like it has horrible barrel life.
Pick a 7mm cartridge to push 180s to around 3050 fps or so. But even 180s @ 2900fps should suffice for elk out to 800yds

I own a 28 Nosler and 7 mm Rem Mag, I like both and for Barrel life the 28 will get you around 700 - 900 before changing. If it was me, I would pick the 7mm Rem Mag or maybe the 6.5 PRC, the 300 PRC is going to kick you like a mule unless you put a break on it, same as the 28, but with a break it kicks less than a 7mm Rem Mag.
My thoughts exactly

sounds like you need a plain jane 7mm Mag

7mm rem mag. If you have more money floating around that you need something to do with, get a 7mm blazer. It doesn't have the belt which makes it cooler than the 7mm rem mag. Honestly it's probably a great cartridge. But whatever you can find to push a 180 7mm to around 2900-3050 or so that has good brass available , correct twist, enough free bore, and will feed from a magazine with out being too long will do everything you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.