What cartridge to build around these powders?

I had used a Brown Precision in a 300 WSM for elk for 15 years and it served me well. Then a few years ago, a reloading friend and custom stock maker suggested that I add a 280 AI to the arsenal. I bought an off the shelf Hells Canyon. It worked so well that I bought two more. The case capacity is almost perfect for my needs and with the Hammer bullets, I'm getting velocities that match or exceed 7MM Rem Mag Factory ammo. Most definitely elk medicine to 500 yds and maybe a bit beyond. Powders like H-4350 and H-4831 and Reloader 19 and 23 are ideal for this case. I haven't found the need to use bullets heavier than 150 Grains as there are many in the 130 to 145 Grain class that are superb on elk and deer and their trajectories at 3100 FPS and above are very flat. Absolute Hammers do allow a little more speed, but in my rifles, about 100 fps less than max produces the best groups. And at this velocity, it is still more than I can get from other bullets of the same weight.

I've also thought about a 338 win mag as well
If elk is a possibility, you cant go wrong going bigger.

I'm a big .270 fan, whether Winny or Short Mag, and a fast twist .270 WSM would be a great option but with what you already own I think .338 Win Mag would be a better option.
Being that you already own .270 to .30 WM, there wont be that much difference in the 6.5 to .30 range but step up to a .338 and expand your range of calibers?

The .338 WM would be overkill for whitetails but awesome on elk.

Hell, you already have several deer guns, maybe get this one and start planning an elk hunt with your Dad around the gun?

Good luck in your search and let us know what you go with!

Hodgdon website load data will let you put in the powders you want to use, bullet weights based on one cartridge that will accomodate all your powder options. You can then cycle through by adding extra cartridges and see what other cartridges work with those powders. If you have a paper loading manual, pretty easy to do with one of them as well.

To be honest, with that many powder choices, powder isn't really the limiting factor. I would choose rifle weight, use etc and let that determine the cartridge. Hell, even if you don't have powder, it is easy to buy or swap what you have for what you need.

Last edited:
338 Mega. With a 24" barrel 9-9.5 tw the 250 EOL 2950 fps the 250 SBDII g7 .414 2850 fps. N550 and H4831SC, H4350 would work also 215-230 gr bullets. 265 ABLR. In a mid xm or LA.