What cartridge for NOT long range (300 yards and in ) whitetails?

Thanks for the advice but since this will only be a 200-300 yard gun a remington5r mil spec is out due to being heavy and just not needed for the ranges this gun will be used. I'll likely be looking into a Christianson arms sporter type, browning xbolt pro, or a sako a5 roughtec pro
Take a look at the Ruger FTW in 6.5cm or .260 Rem. considerably lighter and ridiculously accurate.

My Remington Gen2 Milspec is only slightly more accurate. It shoots mid .2's to low .3's and the Ruger .4's with identical ammo.

270-30-06 or 300wm
any of these are great for your needs and ammo can be found dang near anywhere from sporting goods stores to good ole country store gas station .

If you did not have a deer rifle (maybe a very rare hunting of a black bear) and wanted to buy one for 300 yard shots and in, which cartridge rifle would you be buying?

Under those parameters, 7-08 or 308 would be hard to beat. The long action cartridges (270/280/30-06) carry no meaningful advantage to either of those options on the game you will be hunting inside of 300yds and either will have a fair bit more energy than the 6 and 6.5mm offerings in the same case length at those ranges.

I could have made a long list of cartridges suitable for the task but I chose to only list the best one.

Sure you did, your recommendation doesn't even belong on the long list.

Don't hate what you haven't tried...velocity kills...especially with a tough bullet.

I would take speed all day over a slow *** .338 bullet out of a Federal lol

Don't hate what you haven't tried...velocity kills...especially with a tough bullet.

I would take speed all day over a slow *** .338 bullet out of a Federal lol
What is your favorite 80+ gr solid copper 22 caliber bullet and what is your velocity?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.