What cartridge for high speed 30 caliber

For my Raptor I went with a 34" 1:8.5 Bartlien. For the slightly less case capacity of your chamber 32" 1:8. I almost went with a 36" but Kirby's 338AM didn't really benefit going past 34" and that's how I saw my Raptor. Oh T3 Terminator brake and you're all set

I know the op picked a 30-338 lapua but I wanted to continue some conversation on large 30 cases.

Swamplord is there a 300 headhunter? I know not all of your cartridges have a plethora of testing done but I am curious if you have ran one and what the performance was, or what quickload says it is capable of?

I really like Weatherby cartridges- but as was stated the brass sucks. I have done custom 30-378, 300, 340, etc. The bottom line is if you are getting good brass life with that brass you are not loading them very hot. I actually took the time to call Weatherby (and email them) and told them if they would toughen their brass up they would sell it by the train load. I suggested they call it the "Roy" brass. The case volume of the 378 based stuff far exceeds Lapua, but does not last with heavy loads.

Is bore size or case design the limiting design to what can be achieved with today's powders? To phrase my question another way could a new case design take advantage of today's temp stable powders and increase velocity over what is already available? It looks like currently the 30-338 lapua is the go to for powders like n570.

My Raptor is partially awakened, some issue came up with brass and the reamer dimensions. It did turn the 245gr Berger to 3340fps but did so heavy bolt lift with us869. This was with Bertram brass! Kirby and I were unimpressed with initial results so he ordered 100ct of 33XC brass from Peterson which he explained was much stronger brass over the Bertram and will be used to form the Raptor brass!

Last edited:
Swamplord did 500 Jeff wildcats 6-7 years ago. My guess is brass quality and too much of a good thing is why you dont hear about them anymore.

You are correct on the 500 Jeffery brass issue, Jamison brass was limited in availability then ceased to exist, Bertram was expensive one shot trinkets that lost pockets before ever getting near any velocity generating pressures, Norma brass got me the velocities but only lasted a couple shots, tons of work necking down the .510" ID to .338" & .308", one of the issues I had, was a short throat in order to make the Wolverine function in AICS CIP 3.850" mags and the other problem was the 45-50k psi 500 Jeffery brass just wasn't up to the task

Currently my 500 Jeffery based wildcats have been extensively redesigned based on all the testing and learning I've done along with the advent of the 4.025" internal dims magazines I'm working with now .... On the updated case design I've dropped the Werewolf, Vampyre and Mjolnir names because folks had a hard time with the different names and I was told to cease & desist in use of the "300 Werewolf" due to an existing cartridge with that name,

My original 338 Wolverine prints are dated 2012 so I tossed all the other names and versions, reverted to the Wolverine name for all, with the new updated case design
300 Wolverine, 8mm Wolverine, 338 Wolverine, 358 Wolverine and 375 Wolverine

Brass is currently in production for the 300 & 338 for myself and another gentleman is having brass made for the 358 Wolverine that he will be testing a new super high bc 358 cal ELR bullet in

ONE set of bushing dies with multiple bushings will be able to reload all of these cartridges and the first sets are being made now

I know this thread is about a hot 30 cal but I Don't have a 300 W pc of brass yet but here is what the 338 Wolverine looks like next to the 338 XC

Velocities shown are in the original version with the short throat, 32" 1:10 Twist Benchmark barrel with Norma brass, Berger 300 gr OTM bullets & N570 powder
velocity goal was achieved in the testing trials but an extreme amount of work was involved in getting to the ready to load brass stage, Then fired 2-3 times and primer pockets were gone,

This time around I am having brass made to specs for the new version, ready to load & shoot ... The 300 Wolverine will be burning powder right next to the 338 Wolverine

FE302729-0855-49C1-9DC4-DE4A1A6A0866.jpeg
197636F3-B232-4BFC-9494-C0F98D9FED29.jpeg
B4C12EA4-DD42-4B5F-A31C-16D321A378CA.jpeg

case h20 capacities were done by me with a fired primer seated, dry case zeroed on scale then weighed with water to top of case mouth, photo's show the most consistent, repeatable h20 weights

Last edited:

Recent Posts