What cartridge for high speed 30 caliber

I saw a post by Pro 'swamplord' about a cartridge he designed. It is supposed to have the performance of a 300 Rum in a case shorter then the 338 Rum. On a magnum bolt face. Not lapua.
If it performs as advertised it would be a solid choice for the 245 and 250.

He's got some bad arse wildcats and names to go with it.

Does someone have the case dimension of the 33xc or a 30 Xc? This is the 375 enabelr dimensions. I am curious if the enabelr is wider.

Attachments

• 815F4F2A-7CFB-4E5E-9F42-16BA394A24F4.png
    815F4F2A-7CFB-4E5E-9F42-16BA394A24F4.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 166
I don't think you need to go exotic at all. A 300 RUM throated for and loaded to 4.00" OAL with a long barrel should do it.

30-378 I had a bunch of them it will be a tough one to beat due to case capacity I never loaded anything under 105grs more like 110+ - I use a 300wby since the 80's have not really seen a reason to change.
The 300RUM is not much of a improvement the cases are too $$ and I always use a CRF action for reliability which the 300RUM its not intended for = YUCK

Ok guys I have made my mind up on what I am going to build with all you guys help. The winner is a 30-338 lapua 40 degree Ackley improved. Ordered the reamer from PTG yesterday and sent reamer drawing too John Whidden for dies. Ordered a defiance rucks single shot action. Manners Eh1a and I have a Jewell Trigger and Khales 6x24 scope.
Now I need your help again finding a barrel that will finish at 32" or 33" with either a 8, 8-1/2 or 9 twist. No one that I have talked to has one in stock. Looking like it will be 12 plus weeks to get one. Please let me know if you have one or know where I can get one.
Thanks Jack

As much as you want to get everything done quickly or the same time I would wait on the dies until you have fired brass. PTG isn't known for hitting the dimensions all the time. I personally would have gone with Manson or JGS for the reamer as they tend to cut better and are generally spot on for dimensions. If your reamer is off your dies could be worthless.

The Razor cartridges are designed to run in 3.850" mags with hunting bullets and have a little more capacity to reach the next accuracy node at peak operating pressure

the Headhunter series are longer versions of the same case for single shot use, these were designed to approximate case capacities of my 500 Jeffery based wildcats, Excalibur, Raptor and XC but DON'T require 338 Lapua sized actions,

The Razor and Headhunter cartridges were specifically designed for use in Remington 700 and Winchester 70 actions with no alterations to the magnum boltface such as found on the 300 Win Mag, 300 Rum etc., also coming are the short action versions off the same case design, which is a unique new case with no parent

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

As much as you want to get everything done quickly or the same time I would wait on the dies until you have fired brass. PTG isn't known for hitting the dimensions all the time. I personally would have gone with Manson or JGS for the reamer as they tend to cut better and are generally spot on for dimensions. If your reamer is off your dies could be worthless.

Man do I agree with you here. The gunsmiths in PTG's area don't use him anymore. Too many problems.

Recent Posts