What cartridge/bullet for hog hunting?

25-06AI with the 90g Absolute'sView attachment 286545
Holy crap that's a laser beam, lets see a creedmoor do that!
Try some Hammers in your 257AI and see if you can catch one of them. ;) Not sure what your twist is, but the 90 gr Absolutes or the 98 gr Shock Hammers will give some pleasant surprises. They'll fly out of that AI. Don't be fooled by the weight. And don't tell the pig. It'll think it got hit by a North Korean cruise missle and decide it ain't worth the fight.
The twist is 1-9, I've resisted trying hammers in any of my guns, I pretty much abandoned the partitions in favour of Barnes about 20 years ago never had any reason to regret that change, plus the fact I pretty much have a life time supply if I stick to horns and teeth if that's all I shot at, however in very curious to see how the hammers perform next to the Barnes, sadly I no longer have access to quality hog hunting, at one time I had access to over 30 thousand acres of prime Deer and hog hunting on 8 different ranchs in 8 different counties, the 2 best are now going to be vineyards or subdivisions, hogs are a great test medium, but I'm too cheap to pay for a pig hunt which start at about 500 dollars for a 2 day hunt so I buy my pork these days

I forgot to mention that one of the best rifles and cartridge combos I have used solely for hogs was my Marlin 1895 lever in 45-70.
I also used to use my Winchester '94 in 30-30, with 150g Speer Hot Cor, they both worked very well at the ranges we used to hunt..
We used to hunt from a punt along the river along properties in the several 10's of thousands of acres….then the gun laws changed and you HAD to have BOTH states licenses, or you were shooting illegally. Ridiculous.

Cheers.

Holy crap that's a laser beam, lets see a creedmoor do that!

The twist is 1-9, I've resisted trying hammers in any of my guns, I pretty much abandoned the partitions in favour of Barnes about 20 years ago never had any reason to regret that change, plus the fact I pretty much have a life time supply if I stick to horns and teeth if that's all I shot at, however in very curious to see how the hammers perform next to the Barnes, sadly I no longer have access to quality hog hunting, at one time I had access to over 30 thousand acres of prime Deer and hog hunting on 8 different ranchs in 8 different counties, the 2 best are now going to be vineyards or subdivisions, hogs are a great test medium, but I'm too cheap to pay for a pig hunt which start at about 500 dollars for a 2 day hunt so I buy my pork these days
I feel your pain. Sorry to hear of the lost hunting access.

Oh the memories. When I was in high school in Llano, Texas, we would go hog hunting with our dogs. I had a model 94 30-30 and the dogs would hem the pigs up in thick brush and we would walk around with our 30-30s and shoot them in the head at distances you would call really dumb. Killed tons of them like that and to think of it now…I'm surprised we still have our legs.

Id take an AR of some sort if you are going to be running and gunning. It also depends on how many a day that you are allowed to kill. Some ranches actually put limits on them for some reason. If you are sitting a feeder then a 25-06 will work fine.

I feel your pain. Sorry to hear of the lost hunting access.
Yeah it hurts every time I think of it (daily) that's what I get For continuing to live in a state of nearly 40 million, I don't suppose you have a favorite load for a AI and those hammers, I might get bored and want to try them someday, especially since they appear to be available.

Yeah it hurts every time I think of it (daily) that's what I get For continuing to live in a state of nearly 40 million, I don't suppose you have a favorite load for a AI and those hammers, I might get bored and want to try them someday, especially since they appear to be available.
California does have some beautiful places. Been in the San Diego area once. I never loaded a quarter bore with the Hammers, but this might be at least a start. ButterBean could help you, I'm sure. He's got a smokin 25/06.

Attachments

• Hammer Hunter Load Data POST (7-7).docx.pdf
    869.1 KB · Views: 884
  • Absolute Hammer Load Data Post (6-29).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 182
This has been a great thread; many good stories. I killed a hog on two occasions the last month by raising the window and shooting the largest one with my Ar15 using 62gr green tips. They work good on head shots closest at 30 yrds or less. They are plentiful in Arkansas too. Wayne

I was talking to a good friend of mine who's son moved down there and he was saying you can get a license for 30$ and no limit. Also said you can trap them, he said live trap? He also mentioned feeding them a certain diet to enhance the flavor. This really has been a good thread. I'm bending on bringing the old faithful 25-06 and I'd be happy with just butchering one, preferably a small sow.