What cartridge/bullet for hog hunting?

I've used several calibers for pigs/hogs over the years including 3" 00 buckshot. I don't recommend anything smaller than .30 caliber for larger animals. They can be pretty hard to put down. If you are hunting with catch dogs, you will not be shooting them but rather you will use a knife. You need to contact the guide to find out what type of hunt you are going on.

My friends and I most often use a 6.5 Grendel loaded with 85 grain TREX bullets or 123 Grain SST's - each will do the trick. This is a great rifle that will allow you to get in multiple shots as recoil is almost non-existent. I have also used a 6.5x55 loaded up with 168 Grain Norma's (long bullet) and dropped a 300 lb. Boar where he stood. Just like anything else shot placement is important if you want to drop them in their tracks and not have to crawl through the brush, thorns, and snakes looking for them......

I have hunted hogs a lot in Texas with my brother on his property. They are not so hard to kill. You can take any of the cartridges you mentioned and you will not have an issue, just use well constructed bullets in the lighter calibers. .223/5.56 is quite popular for hog hunting down there so 22 Creed oughta be just fine with say a Barnes or similar monolithic.

I killed most of mine with a .30-30, open sights, 150 Gr soft tip.
+1 on the 30-30. I've used my Win '94. So much fun if you get a sounder of them and can go to town with open sights. I felt like the rifleman from back in the day when he emptied the magazine at the beginning of the show! AR with 556 also works and is fun, but nothing beats a lever gun and a sounder of squealers to put a idiot's perma-grin on your face

Easy-peasy with the 6.5 Creedmoor and a 140gr bonded bullet at 2600 fps. I use the Swift A-Frame on the 300 pounders we have here in Upstate SC. Lead pipe cinch, DRT, complete pass through at 200 yds.
MRM_Lemere 2018.jpg

As others have said, I have killed tons of them myself, and any of those cartridges will work. Again, use what you would for deer and you would be good to go! As far as eating them, they are great to eat if you take these two things in mind. Boar meat, even those on the smaller size (except for piglets) will possess the unique taste and smell when cooked, call boar taint. About 75% of the population is sensitive to boar taint but a lucky 25% is not and can enjoy even the boars. Another issue with feral hogs (including both sexes and even the really small ones) is the off-flavor associated with stress. Hogs caught and held in a trap for any lengthy time or those chased and bayed by dogs will often exhibit this off-flavor due to stress. Those hogs (very young and females) shot while free ranging without stress are the best to butcher and eat.

I raised hogs for several years. I took the opportunity to try several different calibers when it came butchering time. Keeping in mind that all the shooting was under optimum conditions and 25 to 50 yds. I needed one shot kills. I found that everything from my .243 down would not consistently give me one shot kills. Pigs 250lbs and under did well with a Henry lever action in .44mag. Many times the pigs were over 600lbs. .308 and 30-06 using midrange weight 150-165gr monolithic bullets did the trick on those. I also found that the 130gr VLD Berger in my .270win pushed as fast as I could push it did a good job as well. My goal was as little meat damage as possible so aiming between the eyes, in the ear or behind the ear was my target of choice. All of the above choices worked pretty much the same on the larger pigs if I tried a heart shot, Even the .243 Bullet construction and placement are two keys. Pigs seem to grow armor. My son used a .410 shotgun with a rifled slug when he grew impatient with my experimenting. The .410 became our first choice when butchering time came.

Attachments

• Pigs.png
    Pigs.png
    300.2 KB · Views: 72
I recently got an open invite to go hog hunting in Texas. I'm from Washington and don't have a clue. I suspect the guy that invited me doesn't really either, he's a big shot for a multi billion dollar co. and recently transferred down there and out of the blue called me all excited saying he recently went and gave me an open invite. Seriously thinking about it. I've got varmint barrel chassis 22 creedmoor,25-06, 6.5 creedmoor 6.5-300 270 wsm 300wsm and bigger but I'm gathering smaller is better?? I'm leaning towards winter time to get out of the rain. Any suggestions would be appreciated
If you shoot them in the head anything will do. Body shots use your 270 or 300. Take me with you, I'll teach you what you need to know.
Good luck & have fun!

Post #45

I recently got an open invite to go hog hunting in Texas. I'm from Washington and don't have a clue. I suspect the guy that invited me doesn't really either, he's a big shot for a multi billion dollar co. and recently transferred down there and out of the blue called me all excited saying he recently went and gave me an open invite. Seriously thinking about it. I've got varmint barrel chassis 22 creedmoor,25-06, 6.5 creedmoor 6.5-300 270 wsm 300wsm and bigger but I'm gathering smaller is better?? I'm leaning towards winter time to get out of the rain. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Witch one shoots the Best? Take it!!

I live and hunt here in Texas. There is a hog hunting ranch here that won't let you bring anything smaller than a 30-30. Specifically no 22s of any kind and no 300 BLK. Your 25-06 would be all you need. My personal experience bigger is better. I've personally seen hogs taken with heavy hot loads from 270 and 30-06 not pass through a broadside boiler room shot at 100 yards. These suckers are thick!

I saw my daughter shoot a huge boar with a 243 winchester using barnes 85 gr tsx...in one shoulder and out the other. We both have killed several with 147 eldm in a 6.5cm all good shot placement...bang flop. I've even used a 44 mag pistol..works excellent...it's just like every other critter..shot placement is king

I was originally thinking of the 22 creedmoor with the absolute hammer. Sounds like 70ish gr @ around 4000 fps with solid penetration. I have a bigger clip for it and I was thinking minimum meat damage but maybe the 6.5-300 in the head won't stress them out lol.I'll try to dig up some more info from him before the time comes which I'd prefer winter as a break from our weather.

I raised hogs for several years. I took the opportunity to try several different calibers when it came butchering time. Keeping in mind that all the shooting was under optimum conditions and 25 to 50 yds. I needed one shot kills. I found that everything from my .243 down would not consistently give me one shot kills. Pigs 250lbs and under did well with a Henry lever action in .44mag. Many times the pigs were over 600lbs. .308 and 30-06 using midrange weight 150-165gr monolithic bullets did the trick on those. I also found that the 130gr VLD Berger in my .270win pushed as fast as I could push it did a good job as well. My goal was as little meat damage as possible so aiming between the eyes, in the ear or behind the ear was my target of choice. All of the above choices worked pretty much the same on the larger pigs if I tried a heart shot, Even the .243 Bullet construction and placement are two keys. Pigs seem to grow armor. My son used a .410 shotgun with a rifled slug when he grew impatient with my experimenting. The .410 became our first choice when butchering time came.
That's some whoppin animal you got hanging there. Would love the chance at one that size.

I've been on one hog hunt. Killed a 275 lb. boar at 125 yards with 140 gr. Nosler Partition from a 6.5-06. He sat down after being hit in the shoulder, then tipped over dead. The meat was inedible even when made into sausage. Avoid shooting big boars if you want meat.