What cartridge/bullet for hog hunting?

nealm66

I recently got an open invite to go hog hunting in Texas. I'm from Washington and don't have a clue. I suspect the guy that invited me doesn't really either, he's a big shot for a multi billion dollar co. and recently transferred down there and out of the blue called me all excited saying he recently went and gave me an open invite. Seriously thinking about it. I've got varmint barrel chassis 22 creedmoor,25-06, 6.5 creedmoor 6.5-300 270 wsm 300wsm and bigger but I'm gathering smaller is better?? I'm leaning towards winter time to get out of the rain. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I don't have the experience to answer your question, but you asked it in the right place. There are guys here on this forum that kill more pigs than Tyson foods. I have heard people say though that even the big .22 stuff is underwhelming on pigs. I've read a few places on pages for guided pig hunts and the like that some of those folk have strict rules against small stuff, and outright forbid .22 cartridges, and 300bo. If it was me, and I have no reason to believe this is a correct answer, I'd want an ar10 in 6.5cm or 308. I'm sure people are going to say otherwise, and I'd listen to them..

Whatever you use for deer will work for hogs. All your options would work but if you go the .22 Creedmoor route I'd suggest a mono-type bullet (hammer, barnes, gmx, etc.) just to ensure penetration is adequate for a humane kill. For your other choices, whatever load/bullet you use for deer will be good on the hogs.

The 25-06 or 6.5 will do the trick. I prefer the 6.8 in an AR with a thermal for working sounders. 115 bergers, 140 hybrids and 115 fusions have all worked well for me. Bigger pigs don't seem to know their dead unless you hit the CNS, ideally between shoulder and head. Good luck and have fun!

Been here in Texas for four years now-- the choices and opinions on the right choice for hogs varies widely!!

The guys that truly do it for a living and guide the thermal/AR/suppressed hunts seem to favor 6.5grendel, 6.8spc, 7.62x39-- AR pattern rifles-- seen some run .308 and some run .223 but lots claim many more unrecovered pigs with .223. Personally I'm working on a .223 load with a 50gr mono from my AR with a thermal to get a bit more penetration-- hogs definitely have a thick, tough hide compared to most other critters.

Id see what type of hunting you'll be doing and the expected shot distances to help narrow your selection. Having an AR plus a bolt gun would cover almost all the scenarios.

For the 22cm (which would be great if you get to do some Pred calling too) I would run a mono or the heaviest construction bullet you can-- but the velocity will definitely help-- I shot pigs with my .257wby (131bj @ 3300) with no issues (and no pass through)

The 25/06 would probably be next, 110gr NAB would be perfect pigs or varmints.

5.56 (choose the correct bullet). With 223/556 shot placement is key but folks have also killed hogs with 22mag. However 556 does deflect in brush which is why me and my brother are going to try 450bushwhacker as well. Hogs are often seen in groups and are unlimited to take so if you can use an AR-15/10 style rifle it's a huge plus because of the follow up shot deal.
20200308_195708_1611540696588_001.jpg
IMG_4268_1611540626440.jpg

I have stacked hog bodies with my Armalite AR-10(T) 16" Carbine with 147 - 168 grain. It has a 2.5 - 8 Leupold TS30-A2 scope.
A 6.5 Grendel in a semi-auto platform would be sweet as well.
I carry shooting sticks when hunting the hogs.

Got to have shooting sticks. Glad to know there's someone else out the there that uses them. I also use a tight "hasty" sling. Almost as steady as a bench.

Whatever you use for deer will work for hogs. All your options would work but if you go the .22 Creedmoor route I'd suggest a mono-type bullet (hammer, barnes, gmx, etc.) just to ensure penetration is adequate for a humane kill. For your other choices, whatever load/bullet you use for deer will be good on the hogs.
The 22 Creed with 70 or 73 gr Hammer Hunters (depending on your twist) will get the job done nicely in a rig that will give you fast follow-ups with minimal recoil. Those Hammers leverage a cartridge to another level and are simply devastating terminally. Run them fast and you will be ahead of many bigger cartridges running conventionals. Based on your list, I would select whichever rifle has the preferred platform and handling characteristics you prefer and focus on loading a suitable bullet for the purpose. They will all get the job done, but some of the bigger ones might be a little much if you expect a lot of shooting. All things equal, I would choose between the two Creed's from your list in the OP. Fast Hammers would be lethal in either.