What cartridge/bullet for hog hunting?

Under 200 yards, I've killed 250lb hogs and under with handguns and a 222Rem with 63g SMP's, but I prefer to use one of my 20" AR's in 5.56 and a 62g TBBC's or the Barnes. But, most any caliber deer round will work, but I do recommend a bullet that is more on the tougher side for good penetration. Larger boars, at least where I hunted, were on the tougher side and favored larger bores for quicker kills and less tracking. I have seen a very large, old boar stop a 30-30 on its heavy shoulder plate, but quickly succumbed to a 308 with a 165g.

Our ranch is infested with em. We kill a lot of hogs with .223 and up. Avoid light skinned, long range bullets. Mono's, or cup and core like partitions or core lokt are recommended, not so much for the first one, I shoot that one in the ear. They're often in sounder groups. Follow up shots are common if your quick. I've shot quite a few thought the chest and found initial bone and blood but never found the hog and 20' away, the blood trail is gone.
The east Texas rooter hog is a very durable beast.
Also, don't let the nay sayers put you off of the meat. Many people here shoot em and leave them (which feeds predators). The foulest big boar is often not good table fare. The rest are fantastic. This is how I do it, in case you're interested:
  1. Shoot em in the ear
  2. Heat water in a crawfish cooker or big pots on the fire, to about 155 degrees.
  3. Put the hog in a barrel or tarp to "bathe the hog" and submerge as much of the hog as you can in the scalding water.
  4. Every minute to minute and a half, pull on a couple of hairs. When they slip out like they're not attached at all, take the hog out of the water.
  5. A lot of people scrape the pig with a knife edge, I use an electric pressure washer. Cleans em like a market pig.
  6. Gut em and cool them.
  7. I quarter mine traditionally, like a deer but leaving the skin on.
  8. You can freeze the hams and shoulders at this point. When you're back home, make a brine, soak em in it for a week in the fridge, smoke em, dry em or whatever you like, but the smoked is my favorite. You can't buy hams that good. Simply the best hams ever.
Enjoy Texas.

e

Last edited:
I guess another question is, are they suitable to eat? Should I be prepared to butcher and ship? Really appreciate all the help
Smaller boars seem to be the best bet for eating. Sows that have had a litter or have milk seem to be tougher and I don't mess with the boars once they get big enough to stink. I like taking the hams and grinding with brisket fat that I save when I smoke one for burgers and tacos. I also like to make schnitzel out of the back strap....slice thin and pound it out paper thin then bread and fry...delicious.

I've killed several with 270 Win in 130 grain, same as I use for deer. Pigs are terribly destructive on the habitat.
They are good to eat, but pick a sow up to about 125 lbs. Boars we fed to the gators.

I will say shooting pigs is the only time I wished I had a semi-auto instead of a bolt action. Had 6 pigs in a field and my Sako holds 4 rounds.:eek: Managed to reload fast enough to kill all 6 but it was a frantic 20 seconds or so while they were scrambling out of the field.

I recently got an open invite to go hog hunting in Texas. I'm from Washington and don't have a clue. I suspect the guy that invited me doesn't really either, he's a big shot for a multi billion dollar co. and recently transferred down there and out of the blue called me all excited saying he recently went and gave me an open invite. Seriously thinking about it. I've got varmint barrel chassis 22 creedmoor,25-06, 6.5 creedmoor 6.5-300 270 wsm 300wsm and bigger but I'm gathering smaller is better?? I'm leaning towards winter time to get out of the rain. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Fortunately { or unfortuatrly, dependeing how you look at it} here in Texas we have lots of opportunity to test different calibers and bullets on feral hogs, here is the combos we used the past two seasons on multiple hogs. 1- 6XC with Hornady 103 ELDX { great combo} 2- 243 Win AI - 90 gr Nosler Accubond- DRT- Hornady 103 ELDX - #3- 260 Rem AI - 129 gr Nosler ASccubond LR- deadly on anything- 142 Nosler Accubond LR - nasty good-#4- 6.5 Grendel Hornady 123 gr factory ammo- #5- 22-250 Rem - 55 gr Nosler BT Combined Technology- 22-250 Rem AI -7 twist- 62 gr Barnes TTSX- 70 Barnes TXS-# 6- 6.5 Creedmore - Hornady factory 120 GMX- bullet placement is the key to it all, neck at the head juncture is really good as are brain shots, behind the shoulder has worked really well with all of these rounds also. I have become very fond of either one of my 22-250's or 22-250 AI on hogs, I think the high velocity gives me a lot of DRT kills. My two 2 cents for what it's worth. Have a great hunt!!!

All of my rifles besides my creedmoors heat up pretty fast and realistically probably not that great after 3-4 depending on distance. I'll try to find more info. I'd be happy with a couple edibles. I'm going to bring my fifth wheel down and it has a freezer and can run when traveling. Funny but all the feedback is getting me excited.

Last edited:
If you are going on a hunt and killing one or two, deer rifle calibers with deep penetration bullets. Plan for the worst shot on the biggest boar if you want to find them.
If you are lucky enough to get invited to one of the properties where they are like prairie dogs, take all your guns. Plan your shots and line them up for a "Quigley". Day, night, helicopter. You can do ten years of average shooter terminal ballistic experience in a month. Shoot ten hogs with each gun and start writing.
It is a slippery slope. Worse than hard drugs. You have been warned.

I guess another question is, are they suitable to eat? Should I be prepared to butcher and ship? Really appreciate all the help
Of course smaller is better females are better than males but you will know when you walk up if they stink they are in edible and of course get to meet in a cooler yesterday

Pigs are shot at constantly. The dumb ones are weeded out. You probably are not going to get that many shots off at one time. Don't stress to much about barrel heat.
If you are going to the Hill Country area, plan your shots carefully. There is a Californian behind every bush and tree now.

I recently got an open invite to go hog hunting in Texas. I'm from Washington and don't have a clue. I suspect the guy that invited me doesn't really either, he's a big shot for a multi billion dollar co. and recently transferred down there and out of the blue called me all excited saying he recently went and gave me an open invite. Seriously thinking about it. I've got varmint barrel chassis 22 creedmoor,25-06, 6.5 creedmoor 6.5-300 270 wsm 300wsm and bigger but I'm gathering smaller is better?? I'm leaning towards winter time to get out of the rain. Any suggestions would be appreciated

If you are going on a hunt and killing one or two, deer rifle calibers with deep penetration bullets. Plan for the worst shot on the biggest boar if you want to find them.
If you are lucky enough to get invited to one of the properties where they are like prairie dogs, take all your guns. Plan your shots and line them up for a "Quigley". Day, night, helicopter. You can do ten years of average shooter terminal ballistic experience in a month. Shoot ten hogs with each gun and start writing.
It is a slippery slope. Worse than hard drugs. You have been warned.
I tell my wife at least it's not cocaine or alcohol!!!

From your list 6.5 creedmore. I hunt pigs south of San Antonio with an ar15 in 6.5 grendel. My 30-30 has killed too many hogs to count. .22 anything might get you hurt. My .02