what can i do to my rifle?

huntin_fool

I have a remington sps 300WSM and i was wondering what i can do to it to be more accurate out to 700-800 yards? I want to keep it relatively inexpensive since im a broke college kid. Im planning on a new scope for it. Have a sightron 3-9x40 on it now and its clear but just not enough eye relief. I think the first thing im goin to do is put a muzzle break on it to see bullet impact. Is there anything else i can do to be better equiped? Im shooting factory federal premium 180 gr accubonds now but have everything to start reloading for it. Should i change bullets to something like a berger or something comparable? Any help is appreciated guys.
Thanks,
Cole

I have a remington sps 300WSM and i was wondering what i can do to it to be more accurate out to 700-800 yards? I want to keep it relatively inexpensive since im a broke college kid. Im planning on a new scope for it. Have a sightron 3-9x40 on it now and its clear but just not enough eye relief. I think the first thing im goin to do is put a muzzle break on it to see bullet impact. Is there anything else i can do to be better equiped? Im shooting factory federal premium 180 gr accubonds now but have everything to start reloading for it. Should i change bullets to something like a berger or something comparable? Any help is appreciated guys.
Thanks,
Cole

I would say that the reloading will give you the most improvement. The Accubond, is a good bullet. You might try the Nosler E-Tip in 180. Will give you better bc's than the Accubond.

Steve

One of the best thing I have ever done to a rifle is change out the stock. I put my Savage in a B&C Medalist and it was such a huge improvement, I will never shoot factory stocks again and I can spot my hits way better because it recoils in a much better manner.
I've had excellent accuracy with the 185 and 210 Bergers but the 210's left a little bit to be desired for game but I'm thinking the 185 may function a little better but I'll have to wait till next season to test on live targets. Find a cheap bullet that shoots well and shoot a lot of them, but have a good hunting bullet loaded and figured out also.
One thing that this site has really helped me to do is take my reloading to the next level, once you start streching it out you start finding weakness in your loading. I found my gun is solid under MOA rifle but once I started getting out past 600yrd weekness in my reloading started showing up. gun)

Neither a scope nor a brake will improve the inherent accuracy of your rifle, although both MAY contribute to accuracy through either better aiming precision or reducing flinch due to recoil. I would suggest the scope is probably the worst value, any decent 3-9X scope will offer you sufficient aiming precision at the ranges you quote.

The two things I would recommend are:
1) Reloading - the reasons why are too numerous to even start on. Do it!
2) New stock, with pillars and bedded -- Your factory stock is probably too flimsy to really work on improving. You can get a good new stock relatively inexpensively, even an HS Precision would only run about $350. You can bed it yourself with a $20-25 kit.

I have yet to see a factory rifle that won't go under MOA with optimized handloads once bedded into a quality stock.

+1 with ATH,
Reloading, a good stock properly bedded, trigger job so it is around 2 pounds, and practice, practice and practice.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.