What can be done with poachers on game cams??

The question was... "is a game cam picture enough to be incriminating to a game warden?"

not... "do you think I should I call a game warden?"

The reason I posted is because the only evidence I have at the moment is for trespassing... which is a $100-$500 fine in WV with a slap on the wrist. Not to mention I unfortunately don't have a clear shot of his face.
I gave the game warden a call and he asked for the photos... but informed me that little can be done if there isn't a clear way of identifying him in the photos.
That calls for a high resolution shoot-in-the-dark camera, and tracking dogs showing the trail between him and the carcass or gut pile. The most reliable shots could be if he is repeatedly entering and leaving your property at the same places. Brings to mind the "Hound of the Baskervilles."

I'd say if he's identified you could get him for atleast trespassing. Set more cameras out, maybe some where on the fence line where you think he's coming in
Think High Definition night vision cameras set for capturing facial images and fingerprint bait to attract his hands and clench the deal. There's no end to the extent you can take it, if it's worth that much to you. When talking with him, a body cam to pick up any incriminating statements. Being an absentee owner is a major difficulty. A-a-and the fact there may well be more than one guy trespassing is another.

It appears to me you have multiple issues. The Game Wardens may deal narrowly with the poaching issue, but the trespass issue may require the attention of other law enforcement officers (Sheriff, State Police, etc.) Then comes the issue of his relationship with the rest of the local community. Does he have a support base of well-thought-of friends in the community? Family and relatives? Is this an old guy, or a callow youth? What other offenses are rumored to be from him? Keep your own community support clean while you're preparing to go after him. Don't give up ... this may take a while.

Seriously, guys, we're ignoring the CIVIL REMEDY... Any landowner has the right to file suit for Civil Trespass against anyone using his property without permission. The recovery possible varies by state, but proof is much easier and even claims of emotional distress can be addressed. Here, trail can pics would easily become evidence, as would any number of other easily collected info. Any decent local attorney would be able to inform you of the local jurisdiction's law. In addition to his expense to defend the suit, it would expose him to public notice and likely to the LAW.....

Seriously, guys, we're ignoring the CIVIL REMEDY... Any landowner has the right to file suit for Civil Trespass against anyone using his property without permission. The recovery possible varies by state, but proof is much easier and even claims of emotional distress can be addressed. Here, trail can pics would easily become evidence, as would any number of other easily collected info. Any decent local attorney would be able to inform you of the local jurisdiction's law. In addition to his expense to defend the suit, it would expose him to public notice and likely to the LAW.....
I talked to a lawyer a few years ago with all the pay hunting going on I said my ground Is worth 8 thousand a day to hunt it and he could have all the money if he would sue he said didn't know why he couldn't if I wanted it done he would take it on when you get into pockets you get attention. David

A hog-pen works....Nothing left but teeth....
Haha.! So ask his wife out on a date. When he sees you and gets mad, say hey bro I'm not trespassing or doing anything wrong.
🤣😂
Joking but him trespassing is kind of the same thing as walking into his kitchen and getting a cold beer, slapping his wife in the rear and eating his supper.

Sorry to hear that you have POACHERS TRESSPASSORS. If this was GA the tresspassor would be hog tied and strung up. The monerty fines are so sever, much greater for tresspassing that killing game illeagly. Land does not need to be posted. Judges won't tolerate any type of tresspassing- hunting or crossing for a short cut. The person (not the owner) on the land needs WRITTEN permission carried on person while on private property. I know personnaly, I was given permission by the son of the property owner. I did not have a written statement on my person. My friend forgot to tell his father I would be hunting on his land. The land owner saw my vehicle and called the law. GA Sheriff and GA Game Law Enforcement showed up. tracked me down in the woods, and arrested me with hand cuffs, took me out of the woods for transport to jail and to top it off my friend-the owners son couldn't be reached by cell. I was going to JAIL. Luckily my friend's wife contacted the owner and then the law let me go. I met with the owner after that and we became GREAT friends. Otherwise I could have been in a cell for several days until the judge decide to give me bail. Tresspassing is so punsihable that shooting game out of season or poaching is something of a lessor crime. Not only to say what the owners will do to you if they catch you before the law. In GA the last thing you want to be charged with is TRESSPASSING and hope only the law catches you before the locals for poaching. There is nothing worse than someone violatating your privacy and invading your property. I have sensors and camers around my property to detect anyone on my property. I don'thave any problems, but I saw problems with neiboring properties. The tresspassors had to have their vehicles put on a trailer to be removed because they were just burnt down to the frames! Must have been a faulty fuel system.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.