What can be done with poachers on game cams??

You might give a younger person a little bit of a break for possible ignorance if you really believed he was there hunting yotes and possibly didn't see the No Trespassing sign. Otherwise, he's trespassing with a firearm. If you lived on the property or were just walking around you might be in fear for your life.

Well in WV the DNR does NOT need a Warrant to check your coolers in the back of a truck, search your Home and take you rifle for forensic testing, Take game meat for identification DNA vs. poached remains.

They can do all of the above without even a complaint or even probable cause.

I seen the young DNR man, on foot, go after an old guy on an ATV and give him a DUI/ open container.

I'd say at a minimum they have more power than local law enforcement whom barely understand local noise ordinance...

If that's true that they can search your home without probable cause or a warrant, then WV is a fascist state and there is little reason to wonder why there wouold be anti-government militias there. But those actions are against our basic Constitutional rights so I'm thinking there are other conditions that must be true before they can do that.

Ok so I've lived in Wv for right at 40 years now and when I was a younger hoodlum had several run in with the Wv Dnr. I've grown out of the things that make them look for you. With that being stated we bear hunt 5 counties with hounds and I can promise you I know each counties wardens very well .
If they come to your place of residence or stop you unless there is ample evidence in plain sight they have to ask permission to do a search . If you deny that permission they can and will get a warrant quicker than anything you've ever seen within 10 mins all the while it'll will only make it worse for you . But they do have the same authority as a state cop in Wv they can stop you for traffic violations just the same.
As far as some of them acting all cocky and what not we've got one here locally that plays game warden and city cop both . This summer as a city cop he pulled over a car in town that had fishing poles in it and wrote them a ticket for no fishing license. It was throwed out due to you can fish a private pond without a license and he got his peepee smacked by the boss on both sides . Hahaha! Other than that one the rest are as good as gold.

Ok so I've lived in Wv for right at 40 years now and when I was a younger hoodlum had several run in with the Wv Dnr. I've grown out of the things that make them look for you. With that being stated we bear hunt 5 counties with hounds and I can promise you I know each counties wardens very well .
If they come to your place of residence or stop you unless there is ample evidence in plain sight they have to ask permission to do a search . If you deny that permission they can and will get a warrant quicker than anything you've ever seen within 10 mins all the while it'll will only make it worse for you . But they do have the same authority as a state cop in Wv they can stop you for traffic violations just the same.
As far as some of them acting all cocky and what not we've got one here locally that plays game warden and city cop both . This summer as a city cop he pulled over a car in town that had fishing poles in it and wrote them a ticket for no fishing license. It was throwed out due to you can fish a private pond without a license and he got his peepee smacked by the boss on both sides . Hahaha! Other than that one the rest are as good as gold.
Unless the car trunk was filled with water and stocked with fish, fishing pole possession is not necessarily evidence of fishing any more than possession of a shotgun is not evidence of hunting or skeet shooting. There has to be accompanying activity to bring those charges. Should have been thrown out of court on that alone.

Unless the car trunk was filled with water and stocked with fish, fishing pole possession is not necessarily evidence of fishing any more than possession of a shotgun is not evidence of hunting or skeet shooting. There has to be accompanying activity to bring those charges. Should have been thrown out of court on that alone.
It was

Trespass w/intent to hunt is pretty clear. If you're carrying a gun w/a night vision scope and it's 4:00am, you're not out for "air." Your GW should have fun w/that one. Post your land, put up more cameras and take him down.

He's an idiot. Carrying a fishing pole is not proof of fishing anyway. He could have just bought those poles or was transporting them to another location for storage, or 10 reasons other than actually fishing. I wonder what his training was like. :rolleyes:

Just got off the phone with WV DNR...

The officer that called was very confident he could ID the guy based on the picture. We told him about the history we've had on the property and he gave me his personal phone number in case we catch a poached deer in person anytime in the future.

He is headed to the guys house as we speak and is gonna pressure him into admitting it was him. If he does, he's getting him for trespassing and hunting at night!
Any updates on this?

BTW - I am pretty sure that night time coyote hunting had been closed for several months in November (and didn't reopen until January 1) so your trespasser likely didn't come up with a very good excuse for being on your property at night.

Seriously man, it's just not that hard

According to the law

If you're so active in trying to manage the game on your land then how could you not understand how to look up the law and call the DNR?

Notice that the law states that the owner can arrest a person violating this section of the law and take him before the magistrate. The owner is vested with the powers and rights of a natural resources police officer for these purposes.

Call your DNR enforcement branch and ask for clarification on how to enforce your legal rights against this guy.
From one who first practiced law in the middle 70's - be very careful about trying to arrest anyone whi is trespassing. Can give rise to civil lawsuits in retaliation - whatnot.

Best to report to local law enforcement and let them pursue it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.