What can be done with poachers on game cams??

if you own the land get law enforce the involved.
if you lease the land get the land owners and law enforce the involved.
personally I'd never go out of my way to confront a person armed over a deer. Trespasser armed is a story that if prosecuted will cost them money. If you run into them on your own property is another story but I'd still get law enforce the involved.
either way it's tough situation when people are a piece of property at night.
legally the law needs to be involved. legally that is....

but....
if you were to do option 2!!!! I wouldnt be on a forum asking about option 2. Deniability.
With some of the comments like that we are all just joking aren't we ? LOL

I would go to the local sheriff and have him charged with criminal trespass the wardens in some states will not write a trespass ticket unless there are multiple game violations. Most states do not require you to Post your property, paint property lines, or fence it. People that trespass know what they are doing. There are multiple reasons why this *** shouldn't be on YOUR property. Some states have a felony criminal trespass code that makes it a felony to trespass with any type of firearm.
I am a warden and have been for awhile. I would arrest him and charge him with criminal trespass and illegal carry of a weapon on private property.

I just read the WV law. Pretty clear that it has to be marked or posted, which you have.
I'd still arrest his butt if it were me.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I've experienced the same as you describe with two different leased properties.
1. Talk to the Conservation Officer over your district and ask for his advice and help.
2. Is the property posted properly with "NO TRESPASSING" posters. He is trespassing and maybe illegally hunting coyotes out of season at night.
3. Do the other members express concerns over this?
4. Message me and I will give you my phone number, we can talk.

There must be some motive driving this. I remember being offered considerable sums of $ for deer heads (legally taken) to be used by interior decorators to sell to clients wanting a rustic den or whatever. Possibly, that situation might exist in this situation providing some link.

Whatever, don't get into any stuff such as causing injury or a fatality because you would be sued and a lien would be placed on your property.

Any witnesses or other documentation regarding an admission of being on your property while armed? He says, he says does not go to far in filing a complaint or convincing a judge.
He won't get prosecuted if the propertys not posted, gun in arms or not. Once he's warned by the land owner, it's the same as being posted. Posting property is necessary if there exists continual trespass. Personally I do not like posting my property. If it's necessary, I will post. Again, the local game law man can and will effectively get the guys mind right if he's not a knucklehead that just wants conflict with landowner and law. Either way, 100% of the time, the issue will resolve one way or the other.

He won't get prosecuted if the propertys not posted, gun in arms or not. Once he's warned by the land owner, it's the same as being posted. Posting property is necessary if there exists continual trespass. Personally I do not like posting my property. If it's necessary, I will post. Again, the local game law man can and will effectively get the guys mind right if he's not a knucklehead that just wants conflict with landowner and law. Either way, 100% of the time, the issue will resolve one way or the other.
The deciding factor apparently is the intent to enter private property, should the property not be posted accidental entry could occur and no offense committed. To my best knowledge posting property in Montana is essential to go after trespass charges. I like to see signs that say "feel free to hunt" upon permission of owner.

You have a picture of him trespassing with a gun in hand. You have a verbal confession he was hunting coyotes on your land without your permission.... what's the hold up on your part? The legal system is your friend. Even if they end up not getting any charges to stick, the poacher will know you are serious about him staying off your land.

Trespassing gun in hand is a criminal offense of its own...
Poaching means any illegal taking of a game animal or fur bearing critter..last time I saw a coyote it was marketable....
Probable cause....guys on camera carrying a firearm..carcus's on ground...dna check for results of meat or heads at his place....
Seems purdy cut and dry...
No hunting signs apply to anyone 'not' allowed on property....Not his property..trespassing is a clear step for an officer to visit.....
Don't forget, metallurgy comparisons allow a comparative ID with a shooters ammo, too...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.