What calls to get on a budget?

armyhooah

I am new to Predator hunting. I have just purchased a .308 for long range shooting and what to try it out on some of these New Mexico Coyotes.

What calls do you experienced hunters suggest?

I am on a budget, Digital calls most likely are going to be out of my price range.gun)

I am looking to stay under $30-40 bucks to get me started.

Thanks

Brandon

Try a Crit'R-Call. Comes with a great set of instructions and like 4 extra reeds to customize the sound. It is loud as hell and works great. I think I got it for like 12.00 at Wholesale Sports.

Also, I would recommend you stick with open reed calls. I have called in very few with closed reed calls, and that's only when I was doing some real trickery with my hands and diaphragm. Learn the open reed calls, they are way more versatile. You can also put a rubber band on it and it's just as easy to use as a closed reed.

Good luck!

Thank you.

Will try both ideas.

Al's has some good stuff on that site.

Open or Closed reed was going to be my next question. You just beat me to it.

Thanks

armyhooah

Electronic or Digital calls don't have to be expensive. I use the Cass Creek Big Horn speaker (got it $30 locally). Use a $25 MP3 player from Wal-Mart (make sure it has a "repeat" function). And downloaded all my calls for FREE from www.varmintal.com and www.mscustomcalls.com . Here is the link for the speaker. It works great, has a 75 ft. cord, built in amplifier, and is completely controled from the sending unit (MP3 player, iPod, etc.)

- Big Horn Remote Speaker #099

I have calls for everything from small varmints, coyotes, to hogs.

I gotta put in the word for Sceery calls here. I have used them since I got in the game and they work well. The AP-6 is a bit call that really produces some great sounds. High and low pitched sounds. I have called in ALOT of critters with it. The AP-7 would be my next favorite Sceery call.

Closed reed calls are better for the beginner. Open reed calls require more practice and experienced ear to able to reproduce the sound you want. Open reed calls make more sounds than a close reed call, you just have to know where to put pressure on the reed. Any call you buy will work but you have to practice. When you make a call think about how something would be in pain and put some emotion into your calling. Like how a baby when it is hurt by something and they make a loud cry so someone will hear them. Also buy a DVD to get the idea of how to do some calls or go on the internet. Bucking the odds on you tube is a great free alternative. They have lots of videos to watch. Pay attention to the wind, wear full camo and have fun. Most coyotes will circle downwind to check the area before they come in. Coyotes can also pick out something out of the ordinary when it comes to something being out of place in a natural enviroment, like a shiny new gun barrel or a shiny scope. If you can ,camo paint your rifle to your area. One thing to remember is that if you are not 100% sure of your shot let it pass because a educated coyote is harder to shoot the second time around. What i mean is if you miss they will learn that animal in distress sound you just made means TROUBLE and the next time they will not commit to offer you a shot. Well good luck and have fun. Dont worry if try the first time and dont have any success. We all had to start somewhere. :D

Another tip for using hand calls is to not make sudden movements! When using hand calls coyotes or bobcats can and will locate where the sound is coming from. Almost like they have sonar and can pin point the location of the call. Advantage e-call. Also if you can see the critter ,he can definately see YOU! If you can use a decoy of some sort to take the critters eyes off you the better. You can use a simple feather tied to a used or old arrow shaft. Who doesn't know someone who has just bought some new arrows and is looking to get rid of the old ones? Cost 0$. Feather from a turkey hunt or any feather O$. Plus you can use a swivel from an old fishing spinner bait to tie the feather to. I did this and it works. I first drilled a small hole smaller than the wire from the old spinner bait in the plastic arrow nock. Then push the wire in and just tie the feather with the lightest fishing line you have and even the slightest breeze will move the feather. Plus no moving motors to spook a coyote or bobcat! Also you can put a field point on the arrow to use in different terrain. Just push in the ground. So there you have it! So who does not have these items at hand? All you need is a little imagination and some time. Well good luck and have fun. lightbulb

Shaneman, please explain
Learn the open reed calls, they are way more versatile. You can also put a rubber band on it and it's just as easy to use as a closed reed.

[SIZE=+1]I think the best call I've ever used, as been the Herb's Howler... from cow horn.. this is a open reed call with unbelievable sound. Two others would be the Olt #22 dual range and #21 squeakier; I don't believe the #21 mouth reed squeakier, is no longer made any more, I sure wish I could find another. Of late I've picked up 3 of Les Johnson's, predator quest calls... the Ruffidawg, Ruffidawg Jr and the Ruffidawg Coaxer all are open reed calls. I have not yet taken this calls to the field, however the sound and the range on the reed is extremely good in there sound, and from my past experience with many predator calls.. I find'..., that if there in the same sound range and quality as the ones that are work great, they too work great.
Watch, the cows, magpies, hawks and deer.... if there coming in'.., the yote's on the way an your call is working. When your call is working, closed reed, open reed or electric.... take care of it, and don't misplace or loose it.
just my 0.2
[/SIZE]

I've had good success with the cass creek e-caller and the auxiallary speaker that can be purchased separately. Each piece is about 20 to thirty bucks and has great tone and volume. however I'm more of a minimalist and 95 percent of the time I'll use a mouth call. I do not like the disturbance and movement of setting up the e-caller, there is very little cover here in nevada. I like the primos catnip as it has the fantastic tone and inflection. It is almost as easy to blow as a closed reed call, but does not freeze up in cold weather. It also makes a wide range of different sounds and is one of the least expensive calls out there. Mine has been very durable as most closed reed calls die out on me after one or two seasons of calling. Everyone will sound different on a catnip, which does help on the call shy coyotes around here. Good luck in tricking the trickster.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.