What caliber

The .280AI continues to be my all time favorite. It's efficiency is often overlooked, but it is tough to beat.
I know recoil is very dependent on the weight of the rifle, but apples to apples the ones I've owned have been much milder than the "charts" quote for recoil level. And I've owned a handful of them in various weights and configurations. Having confidence shooting a rifle comes through positive practice and use in the field....and heavy recoil has deterred many a man from sufficient practice and gaining real confidence behind their rifle.
Lastly, you can find top shelf factory ammo, which hasn't always been the case. I don't reload and depend on a couple of friends and online services, but retail availability is a good thing.
I guess if I could only choose one rifle in my safe, it would be the .280AI., and for the reasons i listed above. I have the highest level of confidence that I'll make the shot when it counts.
In the end, there are many choices that overlap, and distinguishing between them is splitting hairs. Whatever you build, make sure you enjoy shooting it and practice enough to take away any doubts when it comes down to one shot.

6.5/284, easy to load for, numerous projectiles, abundance of quality brass and they just plain shoot great. Very moderate recoil. 7.5 twist and feed it some 131 Hammers. Devastating and super accurate.
How are they on barrel life? all I've ever been told or read was they are barrel burners

The .280AI continues to be my all time favorite. It's efficiency is often overlooked, but it is tough to beat.
I know recoil is very dependent on the weight of the rifle, but apples to apples the ones I've owned have been much milder than the "charts" quote for recoil level. And I've owned a handful of them in various weights and configurations. Having confidence shooting a rifle comes through positive practice and use in the field....and heavy recoil has deterred many a man from sufficient practice and gaining real confidence behind their rifle.
Lastly, you can find top shelf factory ammo, which hasn't always been the case. I don't reload and depend on a couple of friends and online services, but retail availability is a good thing.
I guess if I could only choose one rifle in my safe, it would be the .280AI., and for the reasons i listed above. I have the highest level of confidence that I'll make the shot when it counts.
In the end, there are many choices that overlap, and distinguishing between them is splitting hairs. Whatever you build, make sure you enjoy shooting it and practice enough to take away any doubts when it comes down to one shot.
I've been looking hard at the 280 ai and it would be something different to use due to I never owed a .284 cal or a .264 for that matter

How are they on barrel life? all I've ever been told or read was they are barrel burners
Any rifle you run with a hot load is going to be a barrel burner. For the average Hunter like me it's irrelevant as I'm not shooting 1500 rounds a year. I shoot my 6.5-284 during hunting season and maybe one other time during the year to make sure it's dialed in, or when I load a new batch of rounds to verify my load. I've had it 8 years now and only have about 275 rounds down the tube. WSMs are hot also, so are PRCs. Not something I would worry about.

Agreed...anything you run "hot" is a barrel burner...funny I have a 257 weatherby that I can't burn the barrel out of...I've had the gun since the late 1990s and shoot it somewhat often it probably has 1800 rounds down the tube and still shoots better than I can hold it. I would not worry...the 6.5/284 I had I shot it well over 1400 rounds out of a #4 contour barrel and it shot tight for the next owner who has 200-300 rounds through it to this day....barrels are consumed over time...shoot and enjoy.

Agreed...anything you run "hot" is a barrel burner...funny I have a 257 weatherby that I can't burn the barrel out of...I've had the gun since the late 1990s and shoot it somewhat often it probably has 1800 rounds down the tube and still shoots better than I can hold it. I would not worry...the 6.5/284 I had I shot it well over 1400 rounds out of a #4 contour barrel and it shot tight for the next owner who has 200-300 rounds through it to this day....barrels are consumed over time...shoot and enjoy.
I've heard if you don't run too many too fast that they'll last like you say.
The comp. guys run hot strings of 20 in 20. That'll cook em quicker.
I try not to take my heavy long range to that overheating point.
My 6.5 284 hunting rifles will outlast me at the rate that I shoot em.

Any rifle you run with a hot load is going to be a barrel burner. For the average Hunter like me it's irrelevant as I'm not shooting 1500 rounds a year. I shoot my 6.5-284 during hunting season and maybe one other time during the year to make sure it's dialed in, or when I load a new batch of rounds to verify my load. I've had it 8 years now and only have about 275 rounds down the tube. WSMs are hot also, so are PRCs. Not something I would worry about.
Comp or recreational rifles see considerable different rates/frequency of fire. A good hunting rifle will last many decades.

Hello all I've been trying to plan a semi custom build I'm saving up for or maybe buy a real nice factory rifle just depends but any was I have a remington 700 LA that I'm thanking about doing a semi custom build with and I've been looking at either doing a 270 win with 1/9 or 1/8 twist or 280ai or maybe a 6.5x284.but the way everything is right now has been making me lean towards 270win just do to I have all the things needed for reloading just would need few more bullets and brass.but I already have a 270 win and would like to see what other options that would be a good open field deer hunting caliber and that would be a new to me caliber because I've always had 30 cals or at least one 270 win.i really like the looks and ballistic of 280 ai and the 6.5x284 but no supplys are in sight least not what I've seen.ive also looked at the 284 win as well.what other calibers would yall recommend.like I said I mostly have used 30 cal 308 win or 30-06 and now recently 300wsm with is my new favorite.besides that I've hunted with the same 270 win rifle since i was 12 and I would like to have a bolt action 270 win.and I would just like to have another rifle for the safe.anyways any input on this would be greatly appreciated thanks
What about 25-06? Really nice all around round.

It's that loooong neck and free-bore. Weatherby throats hold up way better than you'd think they should. All intentionally or not, Roy got ALOT of things right. To the OP I'd go 6.5RPM

I just bought a 280ai Savage High Country. Going to order a muzzle break for it before shooting it.It's a
little heavy 8.2 pounds unloaded no scope..What is foot pounds of this using a 140gr Norma ? Thanks John

my vote is for the 270w.

something about the 27cal that i've come to really like.

projectiles ranging from 85gr all the way up to 175gr.

great selection of hunting projectiles, decent selection on target projectiles. wide selection of usable powder.

OTC factory ammo that used to be easy to find, but you reload and brass is out there.

however, if you wanna run the heavy stuff, like the 165gr ABLR, berger 170 EOL, or Serria 175 TMK, or the heavy selection of hammers, you're gonna need a 1:8 twist.