What caliber

What's open field, or what range are we talking about?

I'm a huge fan of the .270 Win! If you reload, use a fast twist barrel, and take advantage of some of the newer bullets it will do the job very well. My longest range mule deer was taken with the .270 and a 130 Sierra GK just under 600 yards.

Honestly, until you get to extended ranges there will not be a noticeable difference between a .270, .280 AI, or 6.5-284 on game. If you just want something different, then I think they are both excellent choices. I spent a lot of time trying to find a better performer on game than the .270, mainly playing with the 6.5-06, .280 Rem, and 7mm Rem Mag. I still have a couple .270 Win rifles and I've sold everything the others mentioned off.

Have you looked at the .25-06 for an open field deer rifle? It's a pretty good choice with a long action build for a deer rifle. If I hadn't built mine so heavy I'd still have it. It was a great rifle if you hunted from a blind, but it sucked as a mountain rifle.

500 yards would be max range I'm hopefully joining a hunting club in SC and I can shoot past 500 yards on some power lines areas.

Hello all I've been trying to plan a semi custom build I'm saving up for or maybe buy a real nice factory rifle just depends but any was I have a remington 700 LA that I'm thanking about doing a semi custom build with and I've been looking at either doing a 270 win with 1/9 or 1/8 twist or 280ai or maybe a 6.5x284.but the way everything is right now has been making me lean towards 270win just do to I have all the things needed for reloading just would need few more bullets and brass.but I already have a 270 win and would like to see what other options that would be a good open field deer hunting caliber and that would be a new to me caliber because I've always had 30 cals or at least one 270 win.i really like the looks and ballistic of 280 ai and the 6.5x284 but no supplys are in sight least not what I've seen.ive also looked at the 284 win as well.what other calibers would yall recommend.like I said I mostly have used 30 cal 308 win or 30-06 and now recently 300wsm with is my new favorite.besides that I've hunted with the same 270 win rifle since i was 12 and I would like to have a bolt action 270 win.and I would just like to have another rifle for the safe.anyways any input on this would be greatly appreciated thanks
From the calibers you're familiar with, it sounds like you like something with speed and "punch". My personal recommendation is a 7mm Rem mag. Ammo is easier to find (when you can find ammo) and you probably have the reloading equipment already if that is your plan.

If you are starting from scratch with a LA receiver like I did last fall, go look at the Weatherby 6.5 RPM. It is the 6.5-284 on steroids. In my 1:8 Hart barrel I'm getting 3120 with 156 Berger's. That 2000+ fps and 1300 ft lbs of energy at 1000 Yards. All this in a standard bolt face. All components are beginning to come through and this one beats the 6.5-284 and the 6.5 PRC that we shoot side by side regularly.

I take it that you have a M700 with a .473 bolt face.

I know some hunters that use the .270W for hunting all sorts of game all over the planet and they are very pleased with their .270W's.

On the other hand the 6.5-06 uses a great selection of pointy long range bullets - like hi BC's. The .280 & .280AI have a longer datum length so rounds won't be jammed into .270W rifles and this sort of limits cheap brass & availability. I need to fire form .270W to make .280R and this uses up primers, .280 brass is difficult to find. More heavy weight 7mm bullets, like 160's & up.

Both 6.5-06 & .270W are easy to load for but if hunting in some far off land and the need to acquire ammo happens the .270W will prevail.

Lots of .270W brass for the .270W and .270W, .25-06, & .30-06 brass for the 6.5-06. I'm not much of a fan for rebated cartridge rounds like the 6.5-.284 and I think the short powder column business is sort of hyped up for hunting rounds. Some rebated cartridge rounds don't feed slick & easy in certain rifles.

For practical use, shooting game animals, there would be zippo difference between the .270W & 6.5-06.

Mainly deer out to 500 yards or more. And if and when I get to go elk hunting I will take my 300 wsm
If your going for deer out to 500 yards the 270 win will do that no problem. I am a Berger bullets and 280 AI fan so I generally select a rifle barrel based on the bullet I intend to use. I have dropped a cow elk at 422 yards with a 280 AI loaded for that specific application. Honestly your splitting hairs with all of the calibers discussed. I would stick with the 270 win to save on new reloading gear and look at powders and primers you have on hand. I have not shot a competition since 2019 due to lack of primers and powder so that would drive my decision process.
Berger has free load data for a 270 win 140gr. Classic Hunter; I'm sure that would drop just about any deer from 0 to 500 yards.

Hello all I've been trying to plan a semi custom build I'm saving up for or maybe buy a real nice factory rifle just depends but any was I have a remington 700 LA that I'm thanking about doing a semi custom build with and I've been looking at either doing a 270 win with 1/9 or 1/8 twist or 280ai or maybe a 6.5x284.but the way everything is right now has been making me lean towards 270win just do to I have all the things needed for reloading just would need few more bullets and brass.but I already have a 270 win and would like to see what other options that would be a good open field deer hunting caliber and that would be a new to me caliber because I've always had 30 cals or at least one 270 win.i really like the looks and ballistic of 280 ai and the 6.5x284 but no supplys are in sight least not what I've seen.ive also looked at the 284 win as well.what other calibers would yall recommend.like I said I mostly have used 30 cal 308 win or 30-06 and now recently 300wsm with is my new favorite.besides that I've hunted with the same 270 win rifle since i was 12 and I would like to have a bolt action 270 win.and I would just like to have another rifle for the safe.anyways any input on this would be greatly appreciated thanks
Hey bud. I can vouch for the 6.5/284. I love that cartridge and have taken a lot of game with it. Like it better than my 270 WSM. They shoot so comfortably and are easy to tune - very accurate and capable. Running the 124 HH's in ours for deer with remarkable results. I wouldn't be scared of that load for elk - within reasonable distances of course.
I might even have a little-used one for sale. ;) My boys are getting older and buying their own rigs, and I'm thinking to open up my safe a bit. Have too many. You're welcome to PM me if you want info.