What caliber upper? For new build?

midwesthunter

OK so here's my dilema. I'm wanting to build a new AR 15. But not in .223/5.56. I have a Model 788 in .223 a 600 in .222 and a savage model 10 predator in .223 so I don't need another. This will be used for killing paper varmits and maybe deer and antelope. So I was thinking a .243wssm from dtec or olimpic arms or a 6mm turbo 40? If I member right both have similar balistics. So what would you go with?

The 243 or 25 WSSM would be a great choice, leaning to the 243 if double duty for varmints and deer/goats. No forming of brass or expensive dies. For strictly deer sized game, a 6.8 SPC would be nice.

How about a 260? That would be very effective for what you want to do, or just a plain old 243 Winny would do the trick also. 6.5 Grendal could be fun too. Just thought I would broaden the spectrum. OOOOOH, the 338 Federal (338-08) could be interesting. I bet your really confused now. Glad I could help!!:D

Tank

How about a 260? That would be very effective for what you want to do, or just a plain old 243 Winny would do the trick also. 6.5 Grendal could be fun too. OOOOOH, the 338 Federal (338-08) could be interesting.
Most of those are AR-10 chamberings. Requires a much larger and heavier rifle.

Most of those are AR-10 chamberings. Requires a much larger and heavier rifle.

Oh, well you could use the same lower and put an AR10 upper on it... right? I don't know very much about AR's other than the M16A2 I used in the service. I am a bolt gun man. The reason being is that semi auto's are illegal in PA to use for hunting. Not much reason to own one. For the money I can build nice rifles.

Tank

Well that just sucks! Do they make an upper for the AR10 that will allow a guy to shoot 223 if he doesn't feel the need to rip through a ton of powder and more expensive bullets? Or are we still at square one? Sorry for all the questions. I don't post on AR's for obvious reasons.

Tank

Do they make an upper for the AR10 that will allow a guy to shoot 223 if he doesn't feel the need to rip through a ton of powder and more expensive bullets?
Never heard of that. I'm sure it could be done, but I don't think AR-10s are popular enough to merit the design expense for a manufacturer. Maybe a one-off deal, but in general, no.

man, If it were leagal up here in Canada I would have an AR15 in .243 WSSM. That just sounds like the sweetest little rig. I recal a video on here (maybe) where a guy was shooting just that. Not to many things that arent heavy bolt guns gets me excited, that idea does.

I have a couple of 6AR Turbo 40 degree uppers that shoot very well. I have one with an 16" barrel and one with a 28" barrel. The 28" is for highpower rifle competition shooting. Shot the 28" yesterday at 600 yards with a scope to check some loads out. All (105 and 107 bullets and Reloader 15 powder) grouped well, but one load with 107 SMK shot 4 shots into around 1 1/2" with the the fifth hole being about 6" to the left. Had some switching wind which may account for the one out of the group. I was not watching the wind just trying to shoot fast.

If the 6mm bullets will do what you need I think the 6AR family would be a good choice and can be had much quicker than one of the WSSM's.

I have a 25 WSSM on order from DTECH that has around a 7 month delivery, The 25 caliber has some heavier bullet options if you are interested in that. I plan to use it for pigs and deer. The pigs is why I am interested in something larger than 6mm.

Good luck. Ken

I have a 25 wssm upper the only thing i don't like is seating the bullet so far in the case to get to fit the mag. even factory ammo to long plastic tips get bent lead tips get flat so I seat the bullets deep so the ammo dosn't ride both ends of the mag.

What about the 6.5 Grendel? I am considering it with a bull barrel upper. I think it will work with a standard 223 lower. Just need upper, new bolt, and magazine.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.