What caliber to shoot 140 - 142 grain bullets 3300 fps or more?

tribb

I would like to shoot as flat a trajectory as practical. I'm not concerned about recoil,action length, price of brass, price of factory ammo or whether to reload. I can shoot factory loads and be happy. I just want to shoot deer, antelope and occasionally an elk to 500 yards.Any and all comments, suggestions are appreciated

I would recommend a 7 STW or a 7mm RUM. Both will push a 140 to 150 Grain bullet above the velocity you want.

The 7 WSM is also capable but only buy a small margin.

With the bigger 7mm's, you can also up the bullet weight and still get over your desired velocity for Elk if you needed to.

J E CUSTOM

I would like to shoot as flat a trajectory as practical. I'm not concerned about recoil,action length, price of brass, price of factory ammo or whether to reload. I can shoot factory loads and be happy. I just want to shoot deer, antelope and occasionally an elk to 500 yards.Any and all comments, suggestions are appreciated
Do you mean caliber or cartridge?
It'll make a big difference in the answers you receive

My 6.5 Sherman shoots 140 Berger's at 3339 FPS out of a 28" Hart. That's basically max in my rifle. Brass did last 4-5 firings. For those speeds I'd get something that's not loaded to its max to achieve those velocities.

Consider a .270?
.22-250's shoot extremely flat too but not so much a deer-knocker-downer.

I would go with one of the 6.5's mentioned above over the 7mm if dead set on a 140-142 grain bullet bc the 140 range bullet in the 6.5 will have a better BC. If going with a heavier load for elk such as a 180-195 grain bullet is an option then I would go with 7stw or 28 nosler and have a 140 set up for deer and a heavier bullet for elk.

I load 140 Accubonds in my 7mm STW with no pressure signs to 3,315 FPS. It is very accurate as well. Went to over 3,350 but accuracy started opening up. The STW will also throw the 175 Woodleigh just shy of 3,000 fps and it is great for elk and other larger game. I have a 6.5-284 Norma and a 6.5 PRC as well but for speed go with the STW.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.