What caliber to buy for a 35 whelen rechamber

I actually ran across a thread where a guy sent his 06 to JES REBORING and they rebored his 06 to a 35 whelen. This looks like a VERY affordable option.

Can't go wrong with a good 35 caliber. I have 356 Win , 35 Whelen , 350 Griffen & Howe and 358 STA. Yes, I'm a 35 caliber fan and the last 2 mentioned are real power houses but not sure just how much power your looking for.

I personally have no need to go past the 35 Whelen. It has all the "THUMP" on BOTH ends that I will ever need. I find the Whelen is the max I can shoot off the bench practicing with to stay proficient. I hate muzzle brakes and believe the 35Whelen is my max without one.....lol

My Ruger M77 MKII in .338 WM shoots very well and pleasant with a custom muzzle brake, felt recoil is similar to that of .308 Win...

Shot a coyote at 338 yards with .225gr NAB, 73.5gr H4831SC, CCI250.

2011-11-19_14-49-06_396.jpg
Looks like it killed him and killed him a whole lot.gun)

Looks like it killed him and killed him a whole lot.gun)

Yep! This was 3 years ago or so, my buddy and I were coming back from an elk hunt early and my buddy suggested to stop by at one of the BMAs that we frequent and see if he can fill his deer tag.

I had to opportunity for a WT doe but opted for coyote instead.:rolleyes:

20180304_182442.jpg
I know this is an old thread but I have to reply. I sent a Tikka to JES around 2015. This has turned out to be one of the most accurate, consistent rifles I have for 100 yard groups. 35 whelen is an elk hammer in the dense forest and a pleasure to pack. Original tikka barrel, it is a tack driver and I really enjoy shooting it.

View attachment 92866 I know this is an old thread but I have to reply. I sent a Tikka to JES around 2015. This has turned out to be one of the most accurate, consistent rifles I have for 100 yard groups. 35 whelen is an elk hammer in the dense forest and a pleasure to pack. Original tikka barrel, it is a tack driver and I really enjoy shooting it.

A few years ago I used a shilen bbl on a rem700 action to make a nice 35 whelen; it's easily a sub half inch rifle. It shoots so well that I'll likely part with a 673 in 350 Rem mag that I've stored away for years in the back of my safe; as light and handy as it is, it can't compete with the accuracy of that Whelen.

I handload but I have never even had a desire to do so with this gun after shooting Nosler trophy grade 225 accubonds out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.