What caliber should I choose?

Like the title states, I need help choosing a caliber for my first build.

I recently purchased a MDT ACC in a short action so that narrows it down a little. Additionally, what ever the caliber, I want to make sure that'll be able to take down a bull elk and an antelope at a "long" distance.

I currently shoot a rem 700 243 for my antelope and a Savage 30-06 for elk, stock ammo. I have been slowly acquiring all reloading equipment and have almost everything to start reloading, so I am ok with a wildcat.

I have thought about a 7mm or a 6.5 prc, possibly buying Sherman wildcat brass, and a 26 nosler. Obviously, these are not the only options.

I go back and forth, talking myself in and out of each option. Thanks for all the input!
Id go 7mm or 300 wsm

Do you already have the action? Of so, what bolt face?

I vote 300wsm or 6.5 PRC. Just what I like but if you have a std bolt face then 284 Win.

Like the title states, I need help choosing a caliber for my first build.

I recently purchased a MDT ACC in a short action so that narrows it down a little. Additionally, what ever the caliber, I want to make sure that'll be able to take down a bull elk and an antelope at a "long" distance.

I currently shoot a rem 700 243 for my antelope and a Savage 30-06 for elk, stock ammo. I have been slowly acquiring all reloading equipment and have almost everything to start reloading, so I am ok with a wildcat.

I have thought about a 7mm or a 6.5 prc, possibly buying Sherman wildcat brass, and a 26 nosler. Obviously, these are not the only options.

I go back and forth, talking myself in and out of each option. Thanks for all the input!
270 wsm?

I'd go with something 7mm or 270 just based on bullet availability, sucks not being able to get bullets in 6.5mm there is 284 win which is very underrated and gives you 280 performance in a short action. Peterson makes nice brass for it. Then there are the short mags, 7rsaum, 7wsm. Also think maybe the new 6.8 western? 270 bullets are easy to find. And all the big manufacturers will be making heavier bullets in this caliber now.
The 7 rules !! 😄👍

The 7 rules !! 😄👍
I am now buying a 7mag cuz I'm tierd of trying to find 6.5 bullets and also it's fun to load "lower" too instead of always pushing **** to the last envelope of max. My realization is that myself and many others often but smaller calibers for the fun of "maxing them out" and then claim we have something because my 16 pound creedmoor is "better" than a 7mag loaded down to 7-08 pressure because it's a creedmoor and a short action and that makes it lighter than the Tikka wieghing 6.8lb..... so yeah I love my creedmoor but I'm buying a 7mag Tikka because I can load DOWN to all the other cool rounds out there.

Since you already have a 243 and a 30, I would suggest a 6.5 or 270wsm. I think this gives you something further away from what you already have and something that would expand your knowledge of killing capability.

The ballistics of many of these calibers will do what you need. You should consider the logistics of them.

Do you want to be forced to reload? I know I reload, but I like to have options. I have also found that I can't often match the best of factory loads with my hand loads.

There is a learning curve to reloading and I would not want to cut my teeth on something too exotic.

Having a factory option for good ammo might be nice (during normal times). Having good factory brass from multiple sources is also a good plan.

I'd look at short magnum ammo available from several sources along with several premium brass makers supplying brass. Lapua as well as several domestic premium makers are making 6.5 prc. .270, 7mm, 300 WSMs are pretty widely available.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.