What caliber for the old Man ?

Looks like you've got plenty of good suggestions, but being a quarter-bore fan I'd lean toward the 25/06 or Roberts. But I'm playing around with a 25/285 I recently had built and am loving it!

Well the Old Man beat me to the punch and bought his own . He opted for a 280 with a brake . He said he had been saving for a while to purchase it. Kimber Mountain
And he is grinning ear to ear .
Makes me smile to see him that excited to use it this upcoming season
,hope I still have that excitement when I'm his age .
Happy to hear he found something he's excited about! I'm not too old but I've got high mileage. Been looking at the Tikka t3x in 7mm08. I'm glad you started this thread. Recoil and light weight are attractive to me. I've gotten some different opinions and I'm not getting any younger! Nobody's convinced me that I shouldn't have a new 7mm08. I hunt here in Maine and most of it is under 200 yards. I'm sure it would be all I need. Some folks are hunting elk with them. Good luck with the upcoming season and thanks for the ideas!

Well the Old Man beat me to the punch and bought his own . He opted for a 280 with a brake . He said he had been saving for a while to purchase it. Kimber Mountain
And he is grinning ear to ear .
Makes me smile to see him that excited to use it this upcoming season
,hope I still have that excitement when I'm his age .

Since it has a brake, I am guessing he bought a Mountain Ascent in 280AI (not 280Rem).

Last edited:
Happy to hear he found something he's excited about! I'm not too old but I've got high mileage. Been looking at the Tikka t3x in 7mm08. I'm glad you started this thread. Recoil and light weight are attractive to me. I've gotten some different opinions and I'm not getting any younger! Nobody's convinced me that I shouldn't have a new 7mm08. I hunt here in Maine and most of it is under 200 yards. I'm sure it would be all I need. Some folks are hunting elk with them. Good luck with the upcoming season and thanks for the ideas!

With the new high bc .257 bullets out there, I think this is the ultimate light recoil deer caliber. Anything from 25x47 - 257 Weatherby depending on the length of your shots. I'd go 25 cm or 25x284 because I reload and want to use lapua brass.

Old round for an old man. 6.5x55 Swedish.

Or 25-05, 257 Robert's, 243.

I love my 6.5x55's. It did well for my hunting buddy and I last year on some mulies.

7mm-08 Rem is a great round! Plenty capable of taking large bull elk easily to 300 yards with the right bullet. For elk, I like .284/7mm Hammer, 131gr Hammer Hunter or, for inside 200 yards, the 160gr Sledge Hammer. For deer, the 131gr Hammer Hunter is devastating! Both of these bullets work well in 1 in 9.5" twist barrels.

As for the Tikka T3x, if you get one, you will fall in love with it! I have one in 30-06. I know that I love mine. Gonna buy more of them! :D

250 savage.....nobody, in the industry did a retake of it with all the new powders?
some i have developed:
42 grs varget hornady 75 gr VMAX = 3460 FPS .6 moa at 100
36.5 grs varget sierra 90 or 100 gr BTHP 90-GK 100-MK =3050 FPS .4 moa at 100
40 grs reloader 17 berger 115 gr match/hunter = 3060 FPS (not very accurate in 1:10 twist)
hornady factory 100 gr PTSP, shoot sub moa and drop whitetails instantly.
have heard same for remington and winchester 100 gr loads
i used the sierra 90 gr GK on a whitetail in my savage 1920 bolt action as it has a 1:14 twist barrel and the 90's work great on whitetails and theres no signs of pressure at all.
i can watch the bullet hit the deer so whats that tell you about the recoilo.
SB
my savage 1920 made in 1925
D9Uhwir.jpg

my PRS savage 10 250 savage rifle its a 1:10 twist, but i have a 1:8 twist Mc Gowan barrel ordered
3HxMl6M.jpg

.270 Win or .257 Weatherby. For even less recoil consider the 7/08. That might appeal to a guy who's 7mm in the core, and at least in my mind is probably the most for the least.

I'd go with the .257 Wby Mag in a heartbeat, I've used one for Deer for over 40 years and it's great Deer rifle. In a properly stocked rifle, it's a pussycat to shoot and shoot well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.