What caliber for the old Man ?

Cohunt you are right the 270 is a assume round that is why I have a couple of them but the 25-06 is a sweet whitetail round Most everyone that shoots them just praises them for white tails

The 130gr, .270 is a tough round to beat, and....it's easy on the shoulder. I like the 6.5-06 round also, again light on the shoulder.

might just go with the cartridge that is most widely available from the ammo source that this gentleman would use to purchase his ammo. some use online sources some don't though; so a local store's stock might enter into the decision. just a thought from a different direction FWIW.

I would have to recommend a 7/08 in a 6 to 7 lb rifle it will kill well at 7 to 800 yards and recoil will be 16 to 17 ft/lbs of recoil and with a good brake can be reduced to 6 to 7 pounds.

I use one loaded with a 120 ballistic tip to 3000+ ft/sec. the 7 mm bullet is large enough to transfer the energy and anyone can handle
6 to 7 ft/lbs of recoil that it produces with a good brake (Very little increase over a 223.

This cartridge will take Elk with very little fanfare.

I consider it the perfect round for youths and the elderly because of it's killing power and its manageable recoil.

I had a Browning Micro Medallion in 7mm-08 with a (factory?) brake on it (5-6lb rifle), the only recoil the rifle had was if you were standing off to the side of the rifle when it went off.

Well We have a older gentleman on our lease who once could stack the whitetail up every year and do some fine shooting at the 4 to 500 yard range . He is now in his late 70's and can't quite shoot the 7mag he packs very well any more. So the guy's and I have decided to purchase him something more recoil friendly and gift it to him just before season opens. We still want a caliber able to make a clean kill at 3 to 400 yards .
The calibers we have come up with is
6mm ,243,25-06 . What is your thoughts gentleman?

I am too lazy to read through all of the posts, so....if I repeat someone please forgive me!

I'm going to work upon the assumption that this gentleman does little to no walking while hunting! With that assumption.....keep him with his tried and proven, 7MM. Merely, get or build him a rifle that is somewhat heavier.....hence, taming the recoil. Having use the 7MM for years, he is very comfortable with the characteristics of that particular cartridge. He will not have to learn another cartridge, merely shoot a 7MM with less felt recoil. A couple of pounds of additional weight (provided he's not hiking/walking), will tame the 7MM considerably! Just thinking outside of the box! memtb

I'm sure he will be happy with his 280, and I'm glad he picked what he wanted. That makes a difference too.......
I will go ahead and tell my side of the recoil story anyway. I have several bad discs in my neck , along with a good dose of ol arther at the base of my skull. I used a Remington 700 in 308 with a pretty good brake that worked ok, unless I shot more than 5 or 6 shots off the bench . I looked at everything out there and am building a 6.5 creed now. The very reason so many are starting to hate the round is why I chose it. A side effect of all the crazy press on the little cartridge is availability, load data, and accessories , etc. So far , with a brake, it gives me no problem to shoot 20+ rounds on the bench. Accuracy is great so far, ad since I'm planning to start reloading soon, I expect it will get better.
Again, I'm glad your friend got what he wants. Good Shooting !

I would highly recommend adding a directional muzzle brake to the rifle he already enjoys. Or since he is dedicated to deer within 500 yards look at a 6.5 creed, 260 rem, 243 Win, or some other short action smallish/medium caliber :) Sounds like you guys are a thoughtful group of hunters, and the Old man is lucky to have you!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts