What caliber for the old Man ?

reloaderlen

Well We have a older gentleman on our lease who once could stack the whitetail up every year and do some fine shooting at the 4 to 500 yard range . He is now in his late 70’s and can’t quite shoot the 7mag he packs very well any more. So the guy’s and I have decided to purchase him something more recoil friendly and gift it to him just before season opens. We still want a caliber able to make a clean kill at 3 to 400 yards .
The calibers we have come up with is
6mm ,243,25-06 . What is your thoughts gentleman?

Country Bumpkin

Seems like any of those would accomplish that goal. I like the 25.06 of those you have listed. Also like the 6.5’s. Does your friend hand load or shoot factory?

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I am packing a Ruger American in 6 creed this year for high mountain backpack hunting muleys. I am running our 88g Hammer Hunter at 3330fps. I am effective beyond 500y with this and recoil is very light. I am pretty happy with my light weight set up.

Steve

Pulpwood

Cohunt you are right the 270 is a assume round that is why I have a couple of them but the 25-06 is a sweet whitetail round Most everyone that shoots them just praises them for white tails

reloaderlen

Yes the 270 is a Fabulous round
But it’s not about what is the best but what is good yet recoil friendly for a man pushing 80 and moves real slow . Not the Bob Hope playing golf at 80 type but pushing back the recliner type and walks with a cane. My 270’s slightly hurt .

Azrael

.270 Win or .257 Weatherby. For even less recoil consider the 7/08. That might appeal to a guy who's 7mm in the core, and at least in my mind is probably the most for the least.

Reactions: 436

Trending threads