what caliber for hogs/deer/coyotes?

texascowboy

I am trying to get into long range shooting, I'm looking for a rifle caliber that will take deer hogs at to about 500 or 600 yards and coyotes to about 800 yards. I currently own a Remington 700 in 270 win. should i just try to upgrade this rifle or get a new one in different caliber? i am almost on a budget of $800

I am trying to get into long range shooting, I'm looking for a rifle caliber that will take deer hogs at to about 500 or 600 yards and coyotes to about 800 yards. I currently own a Remington 700 in 270 win. should i just try to upgrade this rifle or get a new one in different caliber? i am almost on a budget of $800

Are you hand loading your ammo?

Rebarrel to a 6.5-284 and you will be all set.

$400.00 - $500.00 for new barrel
$150.00 - 200.00 for new dies
$120.00 for new brass

If your reloading working with the 270 Win would not be an issue in the ranges your talking. It's hard to re-tool with 800 dollars but you can make some good improvements to a current set up!

all right im not handloading yet but i went hunting this morning and had a buck at 500 yards but i havent shot any farther than 300 so i didnt take the shot. i use winchester ballistic silvertips gun)

I don't think you need a new rifle. Purchase a set of Lee dies and see how accurate your rilfe is at the 500 to 600 yd mark. Better yet if you have a friend who can reload for you and it does require a lot of practise at the entended range you plan to hunt. Good luck and have some fun! You will learn a lot on this site.

I purchased my first big game rifle in 1952 which was a Winchester Mdl 70 270 with a Weaver K 4 scope. In 53 got a Lymon Tru Line Jr press w/ neck dies. I grew up in the country and measured a 100, 200, and 300 yard shooting range on my dads pasture land. I was lucky , my reloaded 100 Gr and 130 Gr bullets reloads would do one inch five shot 100 yard groups when I shot from the prone position with a forearm rest. I have taken pronghorn, mule deer,and elk with the 130 Gr bullet and used the 100 Gr for shooting prairie dogs, jack rabbits and other unwonted critters. In 57 got a 222 Rem for shooting little critters and some years later got a 308 Norma Mag and 340 Weatherby for elk hunting. I now reload with newer equipment for twenty some different cartridges which include varnint and big game rounds. -- Factory ammo is more accurate now than back in the good old days but get the best accuracy out of your 270 or any rifle you need to reload ammo. A top quality scope in the the 4.5-14 X AO should be on your rifle. Test your reloads from 100 to 300 yards so you know where the bullets are hitting the target at the various ranges. A accurate 270 with a good scope a bullet to match the size of the animal hunted will be fine for what you wont to shoot and much more.

Nothing wrong with a 270 for what you have described. Some of the prices I read are very optimistic for my area, I'm not saying those prices can't be done I'm saying they absolutely 100% will not be done in this area!

Hunting coyotes at 800yrds? I've never even spotted one out farther than 400yrds. If you're having trouble calling them in closer than 200yrds then you might consider spending some of the money a good e-caller. The 270 should work fine on all of the above, it just sounds like you might need a scope upgrade and more practice at long ranges.

I would agree, 270 is fine my first rile was a cheap 270 with a crappy3x9 scope. I have take many deer over three hundred yards. I even ave one kill at 510 just didn't feel comfortable at that range new scope and practice would be all u need.

I use .270 on pigs and it does a great job. I found that I can use the Fusion ammo in 130gr and get great accuracy. This is at 200yards.
IMAG0107.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.