What caliber for a suppresed short barrel lightweight build

338 Spectre in an AR-15 would be a neat option.

In the EU, a metric caliber might be a bit easier to work with but, a 375 Socom or similar would be a good option.

The other options are pseudo wildcats like the 8x57 and 30-06 variants though subsonic use probably rules those out.

A 9.3x57 would not work well as a subsonic option but, that or a 9.3x62 would put a world of hurt on a large Russian Boar.
The only downfall of the 338 Spectre is the range. While it can be shot further, it's really meant for close up work. Bullet selection is also critical, and the specialized bullets the Spectre needs to be effective (at least by my standards) may not be available to the OP. I am shooting monos designed specifically for this caliber by Maker Bullets. 300gr subs built to expand at Supersonic performance could certainly be increased by utilizing a 16" barrel instead of the 10.5"

375 raptor is on my short list for a 12" sbr bolt gun. The limited bullets available on the market right now are all that's stopped me from going through with it. My barrels have been getting shorter all the time and I really don't care for anything over 16" anymore. Still have longer barreled rifles but I don't use them much.

The only downfall of the 338 Spectre is the range. While it can be shot further, it's really meant for close up work. Bullet selection is also critical, and the specialized bullets the Spectre needs to be effective (at least by my standards) may not be available to the OP. I am shooting monos designed specifically for this caliber by Maker Bullets. 300gr subs built to expand at Supersonic performance could certainly be increased by utilizing a 16" barrel instead of the 10.5"
As noted, I mentioned a more metric based cartridge being a better likely match.

Who built your Spectre?

He did mention subsonic and that generally limits you to 'close work' and yes the Spectre is not what I would choose for supersonic use either and brass is a bit difficult to find even without COVID induced shortages. Heck I'm debating a 30HRT (6.8SPC based) or 300 H'AMR from Wilson and letting my 300BlackOut be a dedicated subsonic option. A .257 Ocelot is probably a better choice for me though in a 16" AR-15. For the volumes I shoot, 6.8SPC is cost prohibitive right now.

As noted, I mentioned a more metric based cartridge being a better likely match.

Who built your Spectre?

He did mention subsonic and that generally limits you to 'close work' and yes the Spectre is not what I would choose for supersonic use either and brass is a bit difficult to find even without COVID induced shortages. Heck I'm debating a 30HRT (6.8SPC based) or 300 H'AMR from Wilson and letting my 300BlackOut be a dedicated subsonic option. A .257 Ocelot is probably a better choice for me though in a 16" AR-15. For the volumes I shoot, 6.8SPC is cost prohibitive right now.
I built the gun, barrel was spun up by Paladin Machine in SC from a McGowan 1:6.5 twist blank. He was the original maker for spectre barrels for Marty Ter Weeme. Brass availability is a bit of an issue. I have a couple hundred made from 10mm Mag brass and a working on a few hundred from 6.8spc brass. It's a LOT more brass prep but should allow pushing supers even faster. I hit 2000fps with 165gr out of 10mm brass before pressure signs got excessive, I'm excited to see what I can get with all the extra pressure that the 6.8 brass allows for

Wow, that's pretty tempting though, where I shoot brass loss is a concern so a lot of brass prep work is a turn off to me. I had 17 feral hogs in one outing so, brass loss was high in the tall grass I was in plus, I had a lot of hogs to pick up. That's a big part of the reason I'm looking at simpler 223/5.56 brass options right now.

375 raptor is on my short list for a 12" sbr bolt gun. The limited bullets available on the market right now are all that's stopped me from going through with it. My barrels have been getting shorter all the time and I really don't care for anything over 16" anymore. Still have longer barreled rifles but I don't use them much.
In an AR-10, the Raptor's are certainly tempting. With bolt guns though, the caliber options are so massive I'm not sure I would go there. The 308W action length though is a good option though, most people are obsessed with the short magnums.

375 Ruger, 376 Steyr, etc. along with the 300WSM wildcats are pretty popular too in some circles.

If you are open to manufacturing your own suppressor you may want to look into a hybrid design that incorporates rear baffles. I have one that was made by Dark Horse, and a second one that I self-manufactured custom fitting purposes. Like you, I wanted a balance of minimal overall length and maximum barrel length. Using a hybrid design I was able to make use of 7" of barrel space for rear baffles, and only add another 5" to the front of an 18" .308. Depending upon the height of your sights or scope, you can also add more volume than most suppressors offer. In this case I custom made the suppressor to slip over the barrel of a bullpup rifle, which also gives me more maneuverability. I did all of this after obtaining a BATF NFA permit.

If you are open to manufacturing your own suppressor you may want to look into a hybrid design that incorporates rear baffles. I have one that was made by Dark Horse, and a second one that I self-manufactured custom fitting purposes. Like you, I wanted a balance of minimal overall length and maximum barrel length. Using a hybrid design I was able to make use of 7" of barrel space for rear baffles, and only add another 5" to the front of an 18" .308. Depending upon the height of your sights or scope, you can also add more volume than most suppressors offer. In this case I custom made the suppressor to slip over the barrel of a bullpup rifle, which also gives me more maneuverability. I did all of this after obtaining a BATF NFA permit.
I think those are generally referred to as reflex cans and, the added volume really helps. I think Ops Inc was the first "retail" source of cans like this, at least in the USA.

Over-rated for most non-target competition uses IMHO and, yes I own two of them.

Just today, I spoke with the creator of the cartridge and I am actively looking for 7 Raptor components!
I disagree. The grendel outperforms the 308 past 500 y and is a great hunting round for varmints and deer. Plenty of bullet options and easy to handload for. Not to mention it does well in a SBR platform.