What Caliber for 600yd Whitetail? (New rifle Build)

Sorry, you are correct.
No worries, I feel the same way about that case in short actions.

That and the wsms, the old 350 and 6.5 rem mags, and people trying to fit 7x57, 8x57, 6mm rem, 65 Swede, 257 roberts…oh you get the point.

But then I also feel stupid putting them in a long action.

We need some legit medium length ones haha

6.5 PRC would be my choice, or a good old 7MM rem mag
I have several 7 rem mags , a Mauser mod 660 and a custom 1909 Argentine 98 , but my favorites are the 6.5 PRC,S one done on a Axiom short and the other a pre 64 win mod 70 win long , a Bartlein and a Proof . The 6.5 PRC is a very efficient cartridge, fast and accurate ,especially with HAMMERS.3500fps with the 123 gr absolute what's not too like.

I have several 7 rem mags , a Mauser mod 660 and a custom 1909 Argentine 98 , but my favorites are the 6.5 PRC,S one done on a Axiom short and the other a pre 64 win mod 70 win long , a Bartlein and a Proof . The 6.5 PRC is a very efficient cartridge, fast and accurate ,especially with HAMMERS.3500fps with the 123 gr absolute what's not too like.
I got a 6.5PRC 3 years ago in the Seekins Havok PH2. Great gun but with factory loads mine is a bit slow so far. 2850fps with the Hornady 143gr factory loads. They said it might speed up after 100 rounds but I am not buying that

I'm looking to build a 600yd hunting rifle. I'll be starting with at Rem 700 LA left hand, trued. I'm planning on a 24" bartlein barrel. I'm not scared of wildcats or Ackley Improved either. I reload so, I'll be developing the loads. The current rifle is a 270win, but I'm thinking there is more bang for the buck in LR performance and aftermarket support. Most of my hunting is within 350yds or so, but I'm wanting a reliable option out to 600yds. This will double as range gun for some fun and probably run 2-300rds per year on the high side.

I'm leaning towards a 260rem or 7mm 08 in the LA. These guys not restricted to mag length can be pretty impressive.

I currently load for:
308, 7mm Rem mag, 7mm 08, 270 win, 223
And I have a 6.5 Creedmore on order for my son. We'll be loading for it as well.

Must haves:
-Long Range Support in brass and projectiles, at least in the manufacturing side. I'm not expecting everything to be in stock. (I'm not against fire forming good brass)
-Decent barrel life ~1800-2000rnd minimum
-Enough kinetic energy for deer at 600yds

Would like to haves:
-cross over powders or projectiles to current reloading stock
-Factory ammo options are nice, but not required.
-Something that is powder efficient
-No one ever complains about low recoil...

Feel free to add details of barrel length, twist, reamers, and load data.

Thanks very much for the info!
6.5x284 would get my vote

I had discounted the 270AI because of the original literature on the cartridge. This is very interesting.

Mag length in SA limits the COL of 260 and 7mm-08. The longer VLD type bullets need to be seated past the mag length to get the full potential of the cartridge. At this step a lot of people consider it some what of a Faustian bargain and suggest getting a LA cartridge. Lot of people are pleased with the SA cartridges in LA actions though.
I can get 3300fps with the 150gr ABLRs, but that load is hard on brass. Due to COVID the only powder that I have had to play with is RL19. The load data is 56.7gr of RL19, so recoil is not that bad and I suspect that the barrel life ought to be a lot better than some of the new designer cartridges that have hit the market. I suspect that if I could work on some load data using RL26 the round would do better.

6.5 PRC, one and done!!! I've always been a .30 cal. dude, .300 Winnie, my big .30 my oldest shoots a 30.06 (deer) .35 Whelen (elk). I got into the 6.5 game with my Grendel (what a SWEET little cartridge), HAMMER coyotes and quite a ways out there! So when my youngest wanted to hunt I gifted him my 300 Winnie and bought a CA ELR in 6.5 PRC and I absolutely love that cartridge, it's a sweetheart to load and shoot, and shoot it does!!! There is a plus as well, same bullets for your sons new rifle!!!
Spot on! There's also another cartridge that gets no mention, and does not get the respect it deserves…The 6.8 western…really a great cartridge and will easily get you to 600 yards and beyond. Decent barrel life, highly accurate, excellant energy. Only drawback is availability of factory ammo, but you reload, and brass is available

I'm looking to build a 600yd hunting rifle. I'll be starting with at Rem 700 LA left hand, trued. I'm planning on a 24" bartlein barrel. I'm not scared of wildcats or Ackley Improved either. I reload so, I'll be developing the loads. The current rifle is a 270win, but I'm thinking there is more bang for the buck in LR performance and aftermarket support. Most of my hunting is within 350yds or so, but I'm wanting a reliable option out to 600yds. This will double as range gun for some fun and probably run 2-300rds per year on the high side.

I'm leaning towards a 260rem or 7mm 08 in the LA. These guys not restricted to mag length can be pretty impressive.

I currently load for:
308, 7mm Rem mag, 7mm 08, 270 win, 223
And I have a 6.5 Creedmore on order for my son. We'll be loading for it as well.

Must haves:
-Long Range Support in brass and projectiles, at least in the manufacturing side. I'm not expecting everything to be in stock. (I'm not against fire forming good brass)
-Decent barrel life ~1800-2000rnd minimum
-Enough kinetic energy for deer at 600yds

Would like to haves:
-cross over powders or projectiles to current reloading stock
-Factory ammo options are nice, but not required.
-Something that is powder efficient
-No one ever complains about low recoil...

Feel free to add details of barrel length, twist, reamers, and load data.

Thanks very much for the info!
You're currently loading at least 4 suitable calibers...hell, you could huck just about anything 600 yards and knock down a whitetail, this isn't manned space flight!

Plenty of 6.5-284 Norma brass available. Saw about 6 boxes of Lapua at my local Sportsman's Warehouse. Here's 3 other options I found in about 30 seconds.

The 6.5-284 and the 284 is a great parent case for the 6-284 ,25-284 22-284 , 6..5284 etc . I have The,284, 6.5-284 and a 25-284 ,next build may be a 22-284.I load basically with one set of dies by changing bushings and use a comp seater for everything built on the 284 case , using Lapua brass,at this point I have too say 6.5-284 brass is easier too get than 6.5 PRC brass.

The 6.5-284 and the 284 is a great parent case for the 6-284 ,25-284 22-284 , 6..5284 etc . I have The,284, 6.5-284 and a 25-284 ,next build may be a 22-284.I load basically with one set of dies by changing bushings and use a comp seater for everything built on the 284 case , using Lapua brass,at this point I have too say 6.5-284 brass is easier too get than 6.5 PRC brass.
6.5PRC brass is readily available at numerous places now. It's very easy to locate. Here's a couple places with Lapua in stock and "on sale".