What bullet for hogs 6.5 Grendel?

I listed the 2 bulk loads hoping that I would get some positive feedback. I gave these a thought for several reasons with one being they might work out for hogs, 2, I reload and thought I could come out better with the brass on a reload rather than pay a lot for new brass. and 3rd, I thought it would be a cheap load to mess around with plinking and practice shooting. I am not really worried if a hog runs off but would like to know that at least a large percentage DRT or close by. Thanks for everyone's feedback. As a final question I hve never fired the Barnes copper bullets from any gun but have read that the copper fouling is something to deal with. Any one want to comment on the AR and copper bullets?
I wish I could give you something, but I haven't reloaded any yet. I have Barnes in 24, 26 and 27cal. Only light weight per cartridge case allowance (6.5gren and 6.8spc). Trying to keep speed above 2700 per barrel length.

I agree on part of the statement about homeless. BUT, there are many other reasons other than "lazy". Like depression and/or care to be to name a few. My feathers aren't ruffled, just stating there are other reasons.

When I would volunteer weekly at the local night shelter and "soup" kitchens, it was amazing how many otherwise healthy people came thru the lines, you can tell by their mannerisms, actions and how quickly they disappeared afterwards. Met a street preacher who took me on a tour of the little homeless settlement near downtown Fort Worth to meet the ones who wouldn't show up and were in desperate need of some care. I met numerous individuals who were exactly as you described and in need of the care and shelter. I also saw about 2-3 out of 10 that would avoid us, he said they were lazy, they see no reason to work when they get fed for free. He would point them out and try to approach them and they'd scatter like rats when you flip on the milk house lights.

I am not saying that everyone of them is lazy, it's just sad that otherwise healthy individuals have no desire to have anything other than a place to sleep and a meal.

This isn't the place for this discussion.

I will also say, I kill about 2-3 a week from about Thanksgiving until sometime in the spring, once everything starts to head out and the soft shoots pop up thru the crust. They move back down into the bottoms, then I shoot 5-6 a month. It's easy to say donate them, it's an entirely different animal to make it happen. Trapping is one method, but that is a completely different rabbit hole. I have trapped 1000s of them with simple figure 6 traps and a little corn.

I built this trap on Sept 1st and had pigs in the next morning, I have since moved it and it will get pigs in it weekly.

That trap was literally 30yds from my porch

44A59F21-CA21-4336-B9E3-FCC5976F243F.jpeg
DF03AC92-05DD-417F-9034-0BB0D1E6055D.jpeg

9B8C5A9B-F420-4FA2-98FC-8D667594D32F.jpeg
22008D82-9724-4941-A3AA-1767D53DA40A.jpeg
1015623C-6A0E-488D-A0A3-9BD55B6243D0.jpeg
6D80F2F7-FF82-418D-A089-19CC649829B0.jpeg

Last edited:
When I would volunteer weekly at the local night shelter and "soup" kitchens, it was amazing how many otherwise healthy people came thru the lines, you can tell by their mannerisms, actions and how quickly they disappeared afterwards. Met a street preacher who took me on a tour of the little homeless settlement near downtown Fort Worth to meet the ones who wouldn't show up and were in desperate need of some care. I met numerous individuals who were exactly as you described and in need of the care and shelter. I also saw about 2-3 out of 10 that would avoid us, he said they were lazy, they see no reason to work when they get fed for free. He would point them out and try to approach them and they'd scatter like rats when you flip on the milk house lights.

I am not saying that everyone of them is lazy, it's just sad that otherwise healthy individuals have no desire to have anything other than a place to sleep and a meal.

This isn't the place for this discussion.

I will also say, I kill about 2-3 a week from about Thanksgiving until sometime in the spring, once everything starts to head out and the soft shoots pop up thru the crust. They move back down into the bottoms, then I shoot 5-6 a month. It's easy to say donate them, it's an entirely different animal to make it happen. Trapping is one method, but that is a completely different rabbit hole. I have trapped 1000s of them with simple figure 6 traps and a little corn.

I built this trap on Sept 1st and had pigs in the next morning, I have since moved it and it will get pigs in it weekly.

That trap was literally 30yds from my porch

View attachment 414191View attachment 414192

View attachment 414200View attachment 414201View attachment 414202View attachment 414203
There was a local man that would setup welded bar traps and use used food grease with corn added. Like flies to sugar water. This man used to play football for SL when there wasn't any facemask used. At the local hs football field there was a statue for him unveiled before he passed.

.243 winchester power levels there. Pretty sporty indeed.
Yep ever time I have someone tell me I shouldn't use it for a game animal I ask about a .243. A 100gr bullet moving almost 3k doesn't know the difference of what it was fired out of. I'm at 2998fps same bullet out of a 18" larue. Magneto speed collected. That's why I believe he was right he had a slow barrel. I believe he issues a higher charge than me also. But if it shoots who cares.

Hogs are WAY easier to kill than the internet leads on…no hog is going to walk away from any of the bullets mentioned here with a front 1/3 or high shoulder shot. Like always…placement trumps all…

Thermal hunting, I grab the cheapest stuff out of the larder as I can instead of boutique loads/bullets. 200-300 rounds of FMJs a night sounds better to my wallet than the same of a reload with premium bullets.

I've killed literally 10s of thousands of hogs through aerial depredation work back when I had a helicopter service. Had the opportunity to beta test several bullets from a couple manufactures in several chambering that are now available on the market. They didn't kill any faster or more effectively than a 55 FMJ at 3100ish. Wound channels can be impressive if there is some bullet tumble, which the FMJ seems prone to do.

Far as the Grendel…Wolf FMJs mostly for me. I'll pick up bulk 123 FMJs when I can and run a big batch on the Dillion occasionally when I get in the mood.

Last edited:
Yep ever time I have someone tell me I shouldn't use it for a game animal I ask about a .243. A 100gr bullet moving almost 3k doesn't know the difference of what it was fired out of. I'm at 2998fps same bullet out of a 18" larue. Magneto speed collected. That's why I believe he was right he had a slow barrel. I believe he issues a higher charge than me also. But if it shoots who cares.
Despite its look and numbers on paper with 123 gr factory loads, I think this is the best hunting round for the AR-15 platform. Sure, there are other good ones, but this one just works on everything I shoot w it.

I love the Grendel.

So those hogs don't lift those panels up? I had a hell of a time keeping domestic pigs in a pen like that. Pens were just suggestions to them.
He attached the welded bar to T-post. Not sure on pen height, probably 5" tall? The panels didn't get lifted either.

He attached the welded bar to T-post. Not sure on pen height, probably 5" tall? The panels didn't get lifted either.
Gotcha. Of course the hogs of ours that were getting under the welded panels and lifting t-posts out of the ground were huge and all muscle. 350 pounds plus. The things were like forklifts... if they could get their nose under something it was moving. I hated them.

I've been wanting to get down south and do some hog hunting this coming year. With what you guys are saying it sounds like I'll have plenty of rifle for that, no need to buy a big thumper.

I just read the absolute hammers are good for a fair bit extra fps with the right load just because of the lower engraving pressure, so that figures in too I suppose.

Hogs are WAY easier to kill than the internet leads on…no hog is going to walk away from any of the bullets mentioned here with a front 1/3 or high shoulder shot. Like always…placement trumps all…

Thermal hunting, I grab the cheapest stuff out of the larder as I can instead of boutique loads/bullets. 200-300 rounds of FMJs a night sounds better to my wallet than the same of a reload with premium bullets.

I've killed literally 10s of thousands of hogs through aerial depredation work back when I had a helicopter service. Had the opportunity to beta test several bullets from a couple manufactures in several chambering that are now available on the market. They didn't kill any faster or more effectively than a 55 FMJ at 3100ish. Wound channels can be impressive if there is some bullet tumble, which the FMJ seems prone to do.

Far as the Grendel…Wolf FMJs mostly for me. I'll pick up bulk 123 FMJs when I can and run a big batch on the Dillion occasionally when I get in the mood.
Have you been able to get fmj 123's in anything other than Hornady 26cal? In 26cal I have 100, 12, 123, 139 and 144gr. So I can get load up a variety.

Looking to buy some bulk 6.5 Grendel ammo mainly for hogs. I am looking at various online buys. I have found a couple of interest. I know there is more but for now I am looking at Fed Premium Varmint/Predator 90 grain TNT Jacket HP (3000FPS on the box) and Nosler Match Grade 90 gr Flat Base Tipped Brass Varmageddon (2800fps, this one shows to be for target) I am mentioning these as the price is around $380 for 500 rounds. Anyone have any experience on either or any other suggestions? Thanks, Alan
We have been using factory Hornady ammo with 123 gr AMax and it is a champ on feral hogs.