What bullet for hogs 6.5 Grendel?

Head or spine shots?
Add lung, throat and heart. Depends on angle of shot, movement and how many could get killed as fast as I can! Not all were drt and I can care less, but all died within a short distance of running. I would really like to sue the idiot(s) that started the release of these horrible crop destructing beast that caused crop loss!

I wouldnt have expected that. My only experience taking down hogs was "fun". Made the mistake of trying to put down a large domestic boar with a broke foot using a 40 s&w fmj to the breaker box. When the 2 rounds just stuck in his thick skull, I had to outrun a ****ed off boar with huge tusks and a seemingly now unbroken foot while trying to put a bunch of rounds in the pumphouse. Not a pretty scene..makes me glad no one was around with a camera🤣

I've seen first hand what kind of damage domestic hogs can do. I took over a ranch where the previous guy had them free ranging.They were terrible destructive, expensive to keep in cold climates, impossible to keep out of the alfalfa and only brought 60 cents a pound when I sold them.

I sure hope we never get feral hogs here. Too cold I guess? They don't seem to winter well in 30 below.

Last edited:
I wouldnt have expected that. My only experience taking down hogs was not a good one. Made the mistake of trying to put down a large domestic boar with a broke foot using a 40 s&w fmj to the breaker box. When the 2 rounds just stuck in his skull, I had to outrun a ****ed off boar with huge tusks and a seemingly now unbroken foot while trying to put a bunch of rounds in the pumphouse. Not a pretty scene..makes me glad no one was around with a camera🤣

I hope we never get feral hogs here Too cold I guess? They don't seem to winter well in 30 below.
I had my g22 and only hp's and it took 8 rounds to kill that sucker at close range. Now if I had a 45-70 bfr..........that would be a different story

I have a 20" 6.5 Grendel. Worked with it for solid 12 months, with 90-130 grain bullets, most of the "recommended powders" and the powders that weren't on any list, primers also and in the end, it was still only a 650 yard max range cartridge, at my Colorado high plains atmospherics, just fell flat on it's face! I'm waiting on a 6mmARC barrel, only because, I didn't want to go through the expense of a custom 6mmAR barrel.

Oh yeah, this a Long Range Hunting forum. Lot of folks around here tend to put that to the side.
The forum is but not necessarily this thread.
Not sure anyone had even said much about max distance anyway.

I will second the ELD-M, these were all 6mm ARC ELD-M. I don't care to recover them, I want them to die, I just don't want the hassle of hauling them off.

I sold the ARC and I am building a 19" Grendel and a Howa Mini Grendel, 120/123ish ELD or TSX or other tough constructed bullet will be my bullet of choice. I will get plenty of data thru the next few months, pigs move up out of the creek bottoms and routinely tear up the garden, chicken coop and root around the feed/tack room.

I am using the 62gr TTSX and 62gr TSX loaded by Copper Creek in my Aero/AR15 Performance 7 twist 223 Wylde with the same results. In fact I haven't recovered a bullet yet and had multiple pass thrus out to 200yds. It's cheap and accurate and with a 1x and WML quite deadly combination in and around the house.View attachment 413711View attachment 413712View attachment 413713View attachment 413714View attachment 413715View attachment 413716
While I can understand that hauling them out might be a pain in the butt, however there are food pantries all over the country that would like to have the meat, some even have agreements with local meat processors to butcher the donations. All you have to do if find out who those processors are and simply drop off the dead animals. Feed people, not coyotes. ;)

While I can understand that hauling them out might be a pain in the butt, however there are food pantries all over the country that would like to have the meat, some even have agreements with local meat processors to butcher the donations. All you have to do if find out who those processors are and simply drop off the dead animals. Feed people, not coyotes. ;)

Yeah, easier said than done. The sheer number of dead pigs killed and hauled off in Texas would fill quite a few pantries across the US, if not all of them.

I did that back in the 90s and early 2000s,.I donated 4-6 for every 1 I kept. Also, it's way more of a hassle than simply dropping them off, especially when it's hot and processing has to be done right away.

This will ruffle a few feathers, while I agree that some homeless should be cared for, the problem is, there are too many "homeless" that are homeless simply because they are lazy.

Yeah, easier said than done. The sheer number of dead pigs killed and hauled off in Texas would fill quite a few pantries across the US, if not all of them.

I did that back in the 90s and early 2000s,.I donated 4-6 for every 1 I kept. Also, it's way more of a hassle than simply dropping them off, especially when it's hot and processing has to be done right away.

This will ruffle a few feathers, while I agree that some homeless should be cared for, the problem is, there are too many "homeless" that are homeless simply because they are lazy.
I agree on part of the statement about homeless. BUT, there are many other reasons other than "lazy". Like depression and/or care to be to name a few. My feathers aren't ruffled, just stating there are other reasons.

Hot Texas days they will be sticking quickly as they already stink anyways. 1 would need a refrigerated transportation way to convey at a long distance. Where I'm at it would be 80 miles to the nearest processor.

Try ranching in Texas. You will change your tune. It's neither practical or possible to donate every pig shot.

I listed the 2 bulk loads hoping that I would get some positive feedback. I gave these a thought for several reasons with one being they might work out for hogs, 2, I reload and thought I could come out better with the brass on a reload rather than pay a lot for new brass. and 3rd, I thought it would be a cheap load to mess around with plinking and practice shooting. I am not really worried if a hog runs off but would like to know that at least a large percentage DRT or close by. Thanks for everyone's feedback. As a final question I hve never fired the Barnes copper bullets from any gun but have read that the copper fouling is something to deal with. Any one want to comment on the AR and copper bullets?

I listed the 2 bulk loads hoping that I would get some positive feedback. I gave these a thought for several reasons with one being they might work out for hogs, 2, I reload and thought I could come out better with the brass on a reload rather than pay a lot for new brass. and 3rd, I thought it would be a cheap load to mess around with plinking and practice shooting. I am not really worried if a hog runs off but would like to know that at least a large percentage DRT or close by. Thanks for everyone's feedback. As a final question I hve never fired the Barnes copper bullets from any gun but have read that the copper fouling is something to deal with. Any one want to comment on the AR and copper bullets?
Since the evolution of the TSX and newer bullets, fouling is not near as bad as previous versions.

One word of caution, the Barnes bullets require speed to function. That would require you to shoot bullets in the 100 class range. That's not a problem but understand there are better mono options over the Barnes such as Hammer, Cutting Edge and LeHigh. Your long distance range will be noticeably shorter with the Barnes due to their construction.

One exception to the above may be to use the Grendel specific 115 grain TAC-TX bullet from Barnes. It supposedly has a liver velocity expansion threshold. I never could get them to group to what I consider acceptable.