What bullet for a .270

Dakota79

I'm getting a new Cooper Jackson Hunter in .270. What bullets should I start out with to see what she likes. It will be for mostly deer and antelope out to 500 yards.

My family shoots the 140gr Nosler Accubond. The accubond has killed everything from coyotes to elk all in good fashion and they are very accurate out of all 270s we own.

There are lots of different bullets out there but the noslers just seemed to do the best for us.

Good luck.

Hornady sst are inexpensive and very accurate.Also if you need to use their premium line of bullets you use the same data

I have used 130 AB's and BT's. Both shot well, though I shot factory ammo AB's and used BT's once I started reloading.

For deer I really like the BT's better for game performance. The AB pencil holed thru, the BT destroyed the vitals. All were heart shot so tracking was a problem, but tracking would have been difficult with the AB as there was little blood. The BT ripped a 6" hole in the offside ribs.

If on a tougher skinned animal I may feel differently, but for thin skinned game without huge boned like a deer I think the BT is perfect.

Here is the BT on a doe this year (she was slightly quartering away).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 103
130 gr Berger hybrid. (Hunter Classic) exceptional accuracy in the remington Sendaro in .270 win. And great terminal performance. We took 2 elk this winter with them.

Congrats on the new rifle the cooper excalibur I own is one sweet shooter ITS IN 6.5X284. I shoot a 270 win Weatherby mark v Accumark and it shoots 130's .5moa the 130 VLDH is emphatic with 100 pound whitetails. It is destructive though with exits in the baseball size range. They don't travel far though. The 150 partition is also an excellent choice not as destructive and just as emphatic.

I would think the 140's would be a good choice but cant get the 140 NAB to shoot from mine as well as 130's and 150's. Going to try the 140 SST when I can get around to it. But the performance of the 130 HIB has not been very good from my rifle.

Check out this article from terminal ballistics.

.270 Winchester

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Congrats on the new rifle the cooper excalibur I own is one sweet shooter ITS IN 6.5X284. I shoot a 270 win Weatherby mark v Accumark and it shoots 130's .5moa the 130 VLDH is emphatic with 100 pound whitetails. It is destructive though with exits in the baseball size range. They don't travel far though. The 150 partition is also an excellent choice not as destructive and just as emphatic.

I would think the 140's would be a good choice but cant get the 140 NAB to shoot from mine as well as 130's and 150's. Going to try the 140 SST when I can get around to it. But the performance of the 130 HIB has not been very good from my rifle.

Check out this article from terminal ballistics.

.270 Winchester

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Thanks for the article. Lots of good information.

Here is the reason I chose the .270 Win instead of a large caliber. Because I am paralyzed from the neck down I have to use a shooting rig on my wheelchair and cannot have a huge recoil. Here is a picture of what it looks like. I was setting up for my bear hunt last September.

Attachments

• getting ready.jpg
    getting ready.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 102
Here is the reason I chose the .270 Win instead of a large caliber. Because I am paralyzed from the neck down I have to use a shooting rig on my wheelchair and cannot have a huge recoil. Here is a picture of what it looks like. I was setting up for my bear hunt last September.
You are an inspiration to me..the 270 winny is as good as it gets anyway

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.